OK My turn to rant a little

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

OK My turn to rant a little

Post by RocK »

Sooooo.... I was calling around to the local dealers to see who could flash my EPROM and I was absouletly astounded by the amount of idiots here in MN. OK I guess I wasn't really surpised.
The first dealer. I called and they said that it couldn't even be done. I laughed at him and asked why. He cooly replied that that tire size was not an option for the sonoma and GM did not have those specs. Which made me laugh again. And helpfully pointed out that the ZR2 models came stock with 31's. Which started him into full backpedal. After a few moments of him stammering I said well thanks anyway and hung up.
Second Dealer. K long story shortened. First he insisted that the width of the tire made a difference. Then they told me that they had to call GM and get a code to enter into the TECH 2 and they needed my VIN in order to get it. So 75$ for the phone call to GM tech support. Then an hour of labor to do it. At this point i said WHAT?. Are you serious.... Thats 5 minutes of work. After laughing again. I hung up.
Third Dealer. They said oh yeah we can do it. Runs in the area of $240 plus the 1/2 hour of shop time. at that point i went through the process of walking the service manager through all the steps such as hooking up the TECH 2 and changine the EPROM for the 31 size tire said thats about 15 mins max, is that really the best price he could do. He replied well thats is a little discounted. So I gave up the hunt and said screw it. LOL. I will live with it. What have you guys paid in the past for this.

I guess if we had no stupid people we wouldn't be able to figure out who was smart.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

sounds like a 200$ HPPlll would be a great investment
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For a difficult tire size that is not listed in the TechII programming, a crafty tech can use the available gear ratio changes to get the right final ratio.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Rock, you do have other options if you only want to change rear end ratios or tire sizes. Transmission calibrators can do both and also allow you to firm up the shifts which will make you transmission last longer. Granatelli and Jet both make one that will work with our 4L60E transmissions.

Jet trans tuner part #50108, $150 @ Summit

Granatelli trans tuner part # 420103, $130 @ Summit

Steve
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Thanks for the info all... I was prepared to spend a litte cash but everybody wants well over a hundred dollars to do it. And that is just insane. Does anybody have a receipt of how much they paid that they could fax me. Now Its gonna be about an hour drive to the nearest dealer. LOL
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The average GM dealer around here charges $40-$60 to reflash the PCM with a change to the stock program. I have heard of some charging a lot more, but they shouldn't since it only takes them about 10 minutes to do so. :roll: If well over a hundred dollars is the best you can find, then I would consider the options I posted above that will allow you to change tire sizes, gear ratio changes, and shift firmness. The nice thing is that you can do this as many times as you like with a trans tuner, and only pay for it once. :wink:

Steve