Flares and other stuff ....

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

Henry J wich flares did you end up getting. And I took a look at ls1 zr2 profile dosnt seem like he has been on for a while. I was curious as to what all was involved with fitting the full size front end under his truck. What other forum is he a member of ?

I guess this is a multiple post reply. I got my spacers and new shocks and am about to order the rear springs. My question to you HJ is did the bosie springs help with sag with a trailer hooked up? Thanks in advance
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

He got bubaloo's flares. The one's Mike (LS1 ZR2) made won't fit our trucks...well...the fronts will but the rears won't.

LS1 ZR2 is a long time member over at ZR2.com.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

LS1 ZR2 is a busy guy. He pops in on ZR2.com and ZR2USA.com from time to time.

I was actually set up to test a set of the Gross Cut-out Flares. That didn't happen. Justin had some available , so I thought I try his and help out his buisness. I might have even tried Mike's flares, but there will probably not be rear flares available in the near future.

Justin's Skidz cut-out flares are not perfect, but really work pretty well for the cost. I am happy enough with the cuts that I could run flareless. That is a big plus, IMO.
After the install , I'm not sure that I would cut any further, as there is no point going beyond the front cab mount. Well, perhaps I should rephrase that...I do not want to have to modify the front cab mount for more clearance. With the width of our frame, bigger tires don't really make much sense on the stock IFS anyway.

The springs do help with the "sag". They are progressive , so the more you load , the more they resist. Loaded heavy mine will sit level now. unloaded I sit up about 1.5"-2" in the rear.
I am loaded pretty good most of the time since I pack a fuel tank and spare rack behind the axle.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

Really I only plan on running 31's would like to run 33's still trying to make up my mind on that one.

I tow a 13 ft enclosed motorcycle trailer quite a bit and the trailer is made so that you can load it with out it being hooked up so you have a lot of tongue weight since the axle is only about 3 ft from the rear of the trailer. so thats why I was asking about the springs and it looks like they are my next purchase.

I just bought a tranny cooler so Im going to put that on next month hopefully if work slows down.

Looks like the flairs will be a little farther off but skids it is if he is still makeing them in the future.

Thanks Az and Hj for the info.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I don't mean to highjack this thread but my truck is going under the knife Sunday. The cut out flares are going to be installed. I will be taking pictures with the digital camera. I just want to thank HJ for his write up, no offense to Justin but my buddy asked for directions on the cut out flares and said huh? I told him I would be bringing a write up on the install. I really don't think this is going to be that difficult but I just want to make sure everything is done perfect. Wish me luck

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

good luck!
:thumb:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Luck

Drop a post if you need any direction.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yah i will even admit HJ has a better write up and pics ;)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I got it done. I am really happy with the way it came out. I have to admit I didn't do much of the work. My friends Steve and Shane did most the work, I mostly played beertender.

The pictures not real clear, it rained all night and most of this morning here. I would have to say it took longer than I thought but it seemed easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks for all your guys help and thanks to Bubaloo for putting out such a good product and thanks to HJ for his write up and his templates, those sure came in handy :D

One more thing, I was hoping the flares would make my 31's look so small I would be able to convince Marsha I needed 33's but she said it looks fine like it is. In fact she even said it looks good!

Steve
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

whoa it makes the truck :) i like it alot! justget 33s your wife probably wouldnt even notice ;) haha

the 31 does look small in the rear but its kinda dark up front so i will have to see another pic ;)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

Thats a good looking truck man. I like it, what lift do you have on it?
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

"2003 CC blue, 6" SL, K&N filter, air box mod, tornado, flowmaster deltaflow, yokohama 31x10.5, american racing 15x8 Outlaw II, 1.25 rear spacers. HPPIII, ORI front light bar, westin signature series chrome step bars, TruckTec Tonneau Cover, Infinite Inovations Rocker panels, Moog Ball Joints"

Just look at his sig. line :lol:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Border Man is a quiet gentleman but, when he speaks........you have to know it is gonna be sumpthin' :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

malkavian wrote:Thats a good looking truck man. I like it, what lift do you have on it?
Thanks malkavian

I can see how 6" SL could be misconstrued with Suspension Lift maybe I should have put under my signature line SuperLift. I am sure not all of us are familiar with all the different types of lifts for our trucks. So I will change it from 6" SL to 6" Superlift.

Steve