Bigger Radiator & Ford Explorer Clutch Fan...

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Bigger Radiator & Ford Explorer Clutch Fan...

Post by gocntry »

Here's Some Information I Found Interesting

Bigger Radiator & Ford Explorer Fan

Let's All Put Ford Parts In Our Chevy's :shock: :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

So has anyone tried the Ford clutch fan? If it engages at a lower temperature it might be a very good option without the hassles of installing electrics and the upgrades that go along with it.
I wonder what temperature the clutch is?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

Well, in that link, they keep talking about how more efficient that Exploder fan is. Efficient on what...gas mileage because of the lower rotating mass of the fan? My question is, does it cool the engine better? What would the negatives be?
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I was not able to find out if a lower temperature clutch was available. The stat used was a 191°-195° that doesn't bode well for an earlier engagement point to match a colder stat.
Maybe aftermarket replacements allow some choices?
JTR wrote:If you want to improve fuel-mileage and performance, a fan clutch assembly from a 1993-1997 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 V6 can be installed into the 1996-2004 S-10 trucks with the 4.3 V6. The Ford fan assembly is more efficient, and much quieter, but slightly less powerful than the S-10 fan assembly. This fan assembly is 18" in diameter (compared to 19" for the stock S-10 fan). The Ford unit weighs about 1-1/4 lbs less than the 4.3 V6 fan assembly.

The Ford fan clutch is 1 inch shorter than the S-10 fan clutch, and it positions the fan about 1/2" closer to the engine, which improves efficiency in the S-10 Truck by placing the fan blade behind the "ring" section of the shroud. The stock S-10 fan blade protrudes forward of the "ring" and some of the air is thrown off the front of the blade and back into the sides of the shroud -- decreasing efficiency.

This is the Ford Explorer fan installed into the S-10. It may appear slightly "undersize" in the shroud, but it does a very good job of cooling the S-10. When used with the Heavy-Duty replacement radiator, the engine will not run hot, even when the outside temperature is over 105°F.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i think the JTR book recomends using the Ford fan asy. on V8 swaps in late S-series trucks, because it is shorter, to allow more room without having to move radiator forward.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I ran the ford fan on my 97 s-10 for a while. It was quieter than the stock one but I really couldn't tell any performance gain. Running auto cross with the high capacity radiator I never had any over heating problems. When I did a water pump I switched back to the OEM one because I stepped on a blade of the ford one and cracked it. Even going back, I really couldn't tell a performance, HP or cooling, difference between the two setups.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

See, I don't think mine is any quieter than the stocker when compared back to back.....it is locking up ALOT sooner temperature wise, but if I spin the motor over ~2k rpm it will always unlock. Not really ideal for me when I'm cruising down the road with the boat behind me and the motor spinning up around 2800 or so.....So far it is slightly better than stock, but not enough to warrant the change if I had to pay for it IMO.

If I keep the truck, I think I'm going to have to resort to LS1 fans, High Amp Alternator, and the High Capacity radiator.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Detailcrew
Regular
Regular

Post by Detailcrew »

Hey guys I'm just wondering if taking the fan and clutch assembly out and replacing those with a "Flex-fan" blade would be any better?? :?: Being that I tow a 3500lb detail trailer around 6 days a week, and these hot days kill my horsepower!
[size=75]02 Chevy Crew Cab, Gaylord Tonnou cover,Gibson Exhaust,American Racing wheels, K&N filter,billet grille[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Some flex fans cool really well, however because they are always engaged your gas mileage will drop as a result. :wink:

Steve
Detailcrew
Regular
Regular

Post by Detailcrew »

Thanks for that tip..I didn't think about the gas mileage thing, and considering that I am already getting around 12-14 mpg on the frwy. Don't want to get any worse..LOL
[size=75]02 Chevy Crew Cab, Gaylord Tonnou cover,Gibson Exhaust,American Racing wheels, K&N filter,billet grille[/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Detailcrew wrote:Thanks for that tip..I didn't think about the gas mileage thing, and considering that I am already getting around 12-14 mpg on the frwy. Don't want to get any worse..LOL
Is your emergency brake on? Sheesh. Knockin down 22 all highway, bout 18 mixed highway/city
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

With my ~4k lb boat towing over country roads this weekend I got 12.2mpg......His mileage sounds about right for towing with a load.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]