This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

hell im still wondering if the HPPIII really does anything
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

jeff024 wrote:hell im still wondering if the HPPIII really does anything
Jeff I agree, I think the HPPIII is the biggest waste of money that I have spent on my truck so far. But, then again, maybe I don't have it programmed right. I just recently completed getting all my lights in. Now I have rear driving lights, fog lights, front off road lights. I am taking it in to SoCal Trucks to have them wire everything up and put all the switches in as I want a proffesional job. Also, I am thinking about having them program my HPPIII they do it for $25 there's a race track right across the street from their shop called OrangeShow Speedway. I'll know for sure after that.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I noticed a diffinite change in shift firmness in my '02 and being able to adjust my tire size makes it well worth it for what I spent (<$200). :D

My most worthless mod was my poweraid tb spacer but, it is making up for it 's lack of performance increase for the ease of changing t-stats :lol:

I threw another SES light today on a trip due to my t-stat so changing it tomorrow will be a 2 min job.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you expect some signifigant improvements in performance, you are going to have to run the highest octane tuning and premium fuel.
The low octane performance tuning is only a tweak, and doesn't add much.

Does it do anything? Yes. Recalibrates the VSS for gears, and tire size, adds shift firmness, adjusts shift points.
Well worth it for those options , IMO.

If you have any doubts, flash it back to stock programming after a month of running the HPPIII. Drive it for a week with the stock programming.
I would bet that you WILL want to go back to the HPPIII programing.

The HPPIII does "do something" , it just doesn't make much if any difference in performance.
f9k9 wrote:...I threw another SES light today on a trip due to my t-stat so changing it tomorrow will be a 2 min job.
Reed, check out the Relocating IAT thread. That will solve your thermostat problems, and give you a better temperature reading for the PCM.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon May 23, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

so can we get the thing from a superlift speed recalibrator
hj wrote:Does it do anything? Yes. Recalibrates the VSS for gears, and tire size, adds shift firmness, adjusts shift points.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

In my opinion the HPPIII is worth the money. HenryJ touched the issues that make it worthwhile. Would I buy it again? Yes. It is expensive, look for a group purchase......this is how I purchased my HPPIII.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ wrote:If you have any doubts, flash it back to stock programming after a month of running the HPPIII. Drive it for a week with the stock programming.
I would say it didn't even take a week, just to the store and back and i noticed a big difference.I guess It's like a good women, you don't miss it untill you don't have it! Or the more you get the more You want!
Thanks HJ you convinced me.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:... it didn't even take a week, just to the store and back and i noticed a big difference.
:D I loaned mine to a friend who wanted to try the HPPIII.
This meant that I had to go back to stock. It was a very long week :shock: and he really didn't want to go back to stock either.

Some times we just become comfortable with the adjustments that we make , and never realize what part they actually do play in the complete package.
The HPPIII is a real easy one to take out and replace. Others may not be worth the time invested to remove and replace. I wouldn't want to pull the 'vette servo , just to see what I might be missing ;)

I feel that the programmer may not be very helpful for those with a manual transmission. However for those with the automatic transmission it is worth every penny.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

give me some ideas of where you have yours set HJ ?
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

87 octane, 5600, 128, 30.5, shift firmness, -1, -2, -1

I found a long , straight back road to set the WOT shift points. I have the 3.73 gears, and my tire size may differ from some of you.
Follow the directions for setting the shift points, yours may be different.

I probably need to raise my 3-4 shift a little since I think I bog a little after that shift.

I believe that Paul used the 3-4 shift point change to keep his from "searching" , by setting a big number.

Other modifications can affect the performance. I probably need to get out and check mine again. I like it to shift around 5200 rpm.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Jeff024

The HPPIII really does make a differance. Maybe more so for me because I have the lift and the bigger tires, but when I did like HJ said and put it back to stock, man it was like a sled. So now I had to re-program it, so like the smart guy I am I waited for my wife to come home from work. She's the brain's in the family. She's read's like 3-4 books a week. Me, it's like, toss the directions I don't even want to look at them. But she sat down with me with the truck, we got the owner's manuel out for the truck and the HPPIII manual out and went step by step. Unlike HJ I went 1-1-1 on my shift points as I have 3.42 gear ratio's he has 3.73's It's back to where I wanted it. Probably even better. It just seems like every little thing you do adds up but you don't realize it. I just get frustrated when I see these little Honda Civics blow me off the line but once I get on the freeway they can't keep up with me. For me it's just still a gear thing, I have to go to the 4.10's $$$$$ :!: ouch

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I think mine is set at 93 octane 5600 30.5 and -1 -3 +12
with the 3.73s
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

so ca anyone explain the -1,-2,-1,+12 ect .....
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeggers wrote:so ca anyone explain the -1,-2,-1,+12 ect .....
Adjustments to the shift point in mph.
The rpms vary with different ratios, but for mine with 3.73 ratio: 1-2 shift 1 mph=128 rpm , 2-3 shift 1 mph=68 rpm , 3-4 shift 1 mph=42 rpm.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i think it was the best mod made to my truck it not only jumped my horses but i was getting killed on gas before because i had the bigger tires and they were throwing my shift points all off so i was burning gas like a mad dog
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

It's a combination of things it's great for. If your look'n to make it a hot rod, it's not going to. But for custom tweaking, it's great. Very much worth it.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]