RED75/35 Optima battery, opinions please

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

RED75/35 Optima battery, opinions please

Post by mjmcdowell »

Looking to replace OEM batt. on my 02 CC and have been considering the ones by Optima, specificaly the RED 75/35 anyone have any input on these? At $120 or so I would like to know about such things as heat and cold tolerance and overall reliability from some of you users out there. I have read all the hype and have been to the web site. thanks, stay safe, mjmcdowell
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have the Optima red top in my CC and my SS. I purchased both from Summit Racing for $129.69, and their part # was ULT-9004-003. The stock Delco battery absolutely sucks. :x I had two replaced under warranty before I reached 40k miles. Both developed leaks, and on one the whole positive terminal fell off leaving a hole the size of a quarter for acid to spill out. :shock: The Optima's are much nicer, and should last 3 times as long. They have more CA, CCA, and can handle vibrations much better than OEM. I would recommend one to anyone still running their stock Delco. Luckily I was not deep in the woods when my stock Delco's failed. :roll:

Steve
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Add to that - Autozone Batteries suck.

I have no idea why I keep going back there. After they failed to honor their "Lifetime replacement guarantee" last winter, I won't be.

They told me that I must have a drain in my system that is killing the battery (Only when it gets below 40 degrees overnight). I told their "expert" that I don't have a parasitic draw on my system. He told me it could be as little as a 2 milliamp draw killing that battery overnight.

I laughed at him. Asked him where he was taught that. Cause 2 milliamps over a 6-10 hour period, on a fully charged 650CCA battery shouldn't even make it blink.

Just to be sure, I pulled out a inductive current tester (Dad is an electrical engineer for Lucent Technologies) and we tested my system - .4 MAh - yep - that's a decimal. That was with the keyless entry and starter kill relay armed.

I'm just going to finally buy the Optima and be done with the whole ordeal.
Last edited by adrenalnjunky on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

autozone now carrys optima....thats where I purchased mine
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Justin wrote:autozone now carrys optima....thats where I purchased mine
Same here.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have a redtop in my old truck that has been going strong for over 10 years. Needless to say my crew cab, HenryJ and Vega are all running redtops :D

This is the only battery that has started the HenryJ after sitting all winter. Nuff said.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK