Tie downs and small tonneau cover

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Tie downs and small tonneau cover

Post by HenryJ »

With my tool box mounted in the back I don't have enough places to tie down.

Today I mounted some nylon cleats to the inside of the top rail lip.

I mounted four. Two to the rear above the factory steel tie down loop, and two just behind the tool box, using stainless steel hardware and silicone to seal them.

I thought about using the cleats that come in the late 90's Ford F series boxes but they were a little wide to fit the lip properly.

Now I can use one of the back seat cargo nets to hold things down, or have some more places to attach the spiderstrap.

I will also be using them as attachment points for the tarp when I set it up as an awning.

Total cost under $20
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat May 17, 2008 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks good, HJ :)

Any particular reason you chose nylon?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Any particular reason you chose nylon?
They were black, and stronger than the rail lip that I attached them to.
Chrome is available as is galvanized. I have mainly accessorized with black though :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:...Any particular reason you chose nylon?
They were black, and stronger than the rail lip that I attached them to.
Chrome is available as is galvanized. I have mainly accessorised with black though :D

Makes sense!

Was just curious
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

brule you don't take a break .. do you ? :lol:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is the only way that I can keep up :crazy:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

good idea I have been thinking about adding something seems the only way to strap things in our trucks is to cross 2 straps.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A quick pic in the rain-
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

good idea! :D
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

What I think our beds need is something down on the floor of the bed to attach bungee cords or tie straps to. I've been moving lots of crap over the last couple weeks and wished several times I had tie down hooks on the floor of the bed.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I agree hard to keep smaller things from moving
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just another nice thing about the cleats that I used.

1/2" CPVC pipe is the perfect size and fit to lay along the top of the cleats and be flush with the bed rail.

"So what, who cares? Is this more useless trivia?" ;)

No there is a method to my madness.

The need to keep some things in the back "out of sight and mind" arose. What I needed was a cover that was easily removable, light weight, and semi secure.

The cleats offer a nice platform for a tonneau frame.
I used 1/2" CPVC pipe to form a frame and crossmembers. The frame is 55 1/2" wide to the front tapering to 55 1/8" at the back and only needed to be 32" long from the tool box to the tailgate. I cut the crossmembers a little long so that they would bow upward offering some strength, and allowing the water to run off. I decided to offer a little more rigidity, so I drilled small holes on center and inserted a 3/16" rod to steady the crossmembers, and help to resist compression at the center of the frame. For the cover I picked up some marine vinyl. Cut it 4" larger than the frame to allow stitching a 1/4" rope around the perimeter.
This is a cinch fit cover. I placed it over the frame and pulled the rope to tighten it over the frame. Then I notched the vinyl to add one piece of rope to cinch the center

The tailgate protector has a nice lip that matches, so the cover is supported across the tailgate. My tool box is recessed just below the rail. This allows me to slip it under that lip an inch or so, securing the front of the cover. I used some of the ball and elastic tarp ties to secure the back to the stock tiedown loops.

Now I have to open the spare tire carrier and tailgate to access that cargo space. When I disconnect the two rear tiedowns it hinges nicely on the front cleats.

I haven't driven it yet, so I don't know how it will perform. It is easily removable and light weight. Total cost came to $20 and two thirds of that was for the vinyl.

This may give someone a good idea. I don't know if it would be worthwhile for a full cover. You would need $20 worth of CPVC , and $26 in the vinyl , now add the price of cleats $30, and the elastic tiedowns $10, that puts it very close to the cost of an ebay tonneau. In my case I needed a small cover, and really didn't want to cut down a fullsize one.

Just thought I'd share :mrgreen:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I thought you were being a little quiet :D

Take any pics yet? I haven't a clue what CPVC is and only think I know what PVC pipe is :lol:

I can't picture the rod placement either :roll:

I could do a little write up on how NOT to use the Blazer wiper/hatch release for auxiliary lights :roflmao:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I haven't a clue what CPVC is ...
chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:... I haven't a clue what CPVC is ...
chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC)
Same as what is normally called PVC pipe or is it a definite improvement? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Same as what is normally called PVC pipe or is it a definite improvement? :?:
Dimensionally smaller than PVC and designed for potable hot water.

The main reason here was the OD.

Here is what the cover looks like-

It was raining so I took a couple quick pictures.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is impressive. :thumb:

What love to see the steel rod support placement when your monsoon is over with.

Please do not tell me that you also stitched the cord in too :lol:

You must be able to mix a little "personal" with job related jaunts to nearby larger cities for work related tasks :D

I never said that. :D

I know you work for a semi gov't agency but, I remember when the federal gov't wasn't allowed to buy used parts which explains a little of your salvage yard time :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Please do not tell me that you also stitched the cord in too...
Of course. Have you forgotten that I designed and made my wife's wedding dress as well as my wool slacks, and a matching brocade with silk shirt?

I have only a small machine, but someday hope to have a good upholstery sewing machine.

...Jack of all trades, master of none :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OMG, I knew you were gonna say that!

Good for you, Brule
:) :roflmao:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ

Did you already have your cleats mounted before you planned this mod? "The HJ tonneau cover" It almost seems as if you planned this whole thing in advance as it sure came out good. :thumb: Maybe you can start making these up for the CC members who don't have tonneau covers and charge a few extra bucks :wink: As far as being a jack of all trades and a master of none, I would say you are the master CC modifier :D :thumb:

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... love to see the steel rod support placement when your monsoon is over with...
I just drilled holes through the two bows and ended it with a single hole drilled in to the front and rear pipes. I kind of acts as a stabilizer. I thought this might be taken off and used as shade, or a wind break at some point.

It is still dumping buckets outside :? this is one of the wetter springs that we have had in the last few years. ;) (no pun intended :lol: )

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:bump:

I have had some questions about the cover, so I thought i'd bump the thread.

- ThunderII KE7CSK