Performance gains with basic mods (Track times)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

1337vending
Crew
Crew

Performance gains with basic mods (Track times)

Post by 1337vending »

Just took my truck out to the DSIR (Deserted Street International Raceway) :wink: and did a few acceleration runs with my Beltronics accelerometer. I just recently installed the hypertech programmer and the cat-back Magnaflow exhaust, along with a K&N filter, and here's the best of 2 runs....(brake torque @1800 rpm, and no wheelhop)

0-60: 8.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 16.8 @ 79.5mph
60 foot: 2.2 seconds

Also, on the HPIII, i set the shift pts for 1-2: -1, and 2-3: -2 and had the 87 octane tune with 89 octane gas.

Before, with no mods at all i got (best of 3 runs, same launch technique).
0-60: 9.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 17.4 @ 74mph
60 foot: 2.4 seconds

Not too bad...but certainly no GMC Typhoon (4.3 turbo w/ 15psi boost :shock: )....but I'd like to see a Typhoon try and go offroad :lol:

edited title-HJ
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice improvement, and seems to fall in line with what I have heard from others.

Now you need AutoTap to document the engine performance functions and you will have a poorman's dyno :D

Keep us informed about further improvements, or failures that you find :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my HPP comes on THUR so FRI. night I think I will be at the track to give her a few runs.Went last night with my buddy in a Dodge cre cab with the 24v cumminsTurbo Diesel and he ran a 15.20 1/4 .Not shabby for a truck that weighs over 8000 lbs.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

jeff024 wrote:my HPP comes on THUR so FRI. night I think I will be at the track to give her a few runs.Went last night with my buddy in a Dodge cre cab with the 24v cumminsTurbo Diesel and he ran a 15.20 1/4 .Not shabby for a truck that weighs over 8000 lbs.
Somewhere I used to have a video of a F-350 Crewcab 4x4 with a Powerstroke that turned 11.45et @ 118mph. I recently saw a Dodge Cummins powered Pro Stock style truck on the internet that was still under development at the time and was running low 9's! They were shooting for the 6-7 second range! :shock:

I don't laugh at Diesels anymore!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

no they will scoot . I really enjoy going to watch my brothers S-10 run 7.90s in the 1/4 now that thing flies
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

jeff024 wrote:no they will scoot . I really enjoy going to watch my brothers S-10 run 7.90s in the 1/4 now that thing flies
Ok, we're getting way of topic but I just couldn't resist this one...

Here's my favorite type of "Diesel" dragster:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

In a vague attempt to get back to the subject, I'm thinking about trying the 87 tuning on my HPPIII with 89 octane. It pinged too much when I tried the 87 tuning with 87 octane. I have already done all the intake mods. I also can't wait to "kill" my stock muffler on a rock someplace (on the next trailride?) so I'll just have to get that Flowmaster 40 and 3" tailpipe! :evil:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Now that's what I'm talking about! :shock: If I had that truck for work, I could really get some freight off. :thumb: But I don't think my company could afford the fuel bill! :lol:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Rusty wrote: I'm thinking about trying the 87 tuning on my HPPIII with 89 octane. It pinged too much when I tried the 87 tuning with 87 octane.
I tuned mine for 87 octane with the HPPIII and I am running 87 octane, have had no problems with pinging, maybe your getting bad gas at your local station, just a thought.

Steve
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Steve2003 wrote:
Rusty wrote: I'm thinking about trying the 87 tuning on my HPPIII with 89 octane. It pinged too much when I tried the 87 tuning with 87 octane.
I tuned mine for 87 octane with the HPPIII and I am running 87 octane, have had no problems with pinging, maybe your getting bad gas at your local station, just a thought.

Steve
I wouldn't doubt it except that when I first load the programming, it behaves Ok. The "pinging" actually starts after 2-3 weeks of running the 87 tuning so I think it is a "learned" thing with the computer. All of our trucks are subject to manufacturing tolerences and each will behave a little different than others so maybe mine is just a bit more touchy.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Steve2003 wrote:Now that's what I'm talking about! :shock: If I had that truck for work, I could really get some freight off. :thumb: But I don't think my company could afford the fuel bill! :lol:
I think you might fry the freight with that thing! :lol:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Rusty wrote:I think you might fry the freight with that thing!
I think your right! There wouldn't be much left of the trailer or the freight :lol:

Steve
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:thumb:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Rusty,
I have the same problem as you, except when I use 87, it starts pinging almost immediately and there is some loss of power since the knock sensor is taking out timing, especially at higher RPMs. I've tried different gas station's 87 octane with no luck... :?

I figure the extra $2-3 a tank is worth not detonating my engine to death.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

1337vending wrote:Rusty,
I have the same problem as you, except when I use 87, it starts pinging almost immediately and there is some loss of power since the knock sensor is taking out timing, especially at higher RPMs. I've tried different gas station's 87 octane with no luck... :?

I figure the extra $2-3 a tank is worth not detonating my engine to death.
Oh, I agree and since I really don't drive it all that much anymore, I might just go back to the 93 tuning. I'm gong to try the 87tune/89oct setting first though, just to see how it does. I'm curious.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, just remember that you are talking 2 diffrent fuel blends. CA has a lot more requirements for it's fuell :)

I have mine tuned for 93 octane and use 89 w/o the first "ping" :)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:Well, just remember that you are talking 2 diffrent fuel blends. CA has a lot more requirements for it's fuell :)

I have mine tuned for 93 octane and use 89 w/o the first "ping" :)
The way gas is here in Va, if I dared put 87 (or even 89) in with 93 tuning, you would swear you were listening to an "orchestra" of spanish castanets. Some places around here the gas is so bad I wouldn't run it in my old tractor and it has 6:1 compression! :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I'm using 91 octane with 93 tuning and no problems here in CA. It does run smoother and stronger though with 1/2 tank of 91 and 1/2 tank 96. 8)

Steve
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Rusty wrote:
jeff024 wrote:my HPP comes on THUR so FRI. night I think I will be at the track to give her a few runs.Went last night with my buddy in a Dodge cre cab with the 24v cumminsTurbo Diesel and he ran a 15.20 1/4 .Not shabby for a truck that weighs over 8000 lbs.
Somewhere I used to have a video of a F-350 Crewcab 4x4 with a Powerstroke that turned 11.45et @ 118mph. I recently saw a Dodge Cummins powered Pro Stock style truck on the internet that was still under development at the time and was running low 9's! They were shooting for the 6-7 second range! :shock:

You mean THIS run :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

adrenalnjunky wrote:
Rusty wrote:

You mean THIS run :-)
Yeah, that's the one! That ricer in the near lane didn't stand a chance! :lol:

Can you imagine him trying to explain that one to his buddies? Getting dusted by a diesel truck? I know I would be wearing a paper bag over my head! Oh the shame! :lol:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I just got home from Thompson Raceway Park and my best time with the truck was 17.1 @ 79.121 MPH... all that i have done is the exhaust. Not too bad. There was a 4cyl S10 there, but his times weren't that great (19sec @ 65mph). My friend's 4.0L ext cab 4x4 Ranger was running 16.2sec... Oh well, just gotta do a few more things to the truck to catch up to him
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BobbleSmitty wrote:I just got home from Thompson Raceway Park and my best time with the truck was 17.1 @ 79.121 MPH... all that i have done is the exhaust. Not too bad. There was a 4cyl S10 there, but his times weren't that great (19sec @ 65mph). My friend's 4.0L ext cab 4x4 Ranger was running 16.2sec... Oh well, just gotta do a few more things to the truck to catch up to him
I haven't been near a track, since before most of the members were born :lol:

If I had the chance to rearrange the order of adding performance mods that I have done to my crew........I wouldn't change a thing :D

This are just my thoughts and not meant to degrade anyone's priorities.

1. Air intake............that is where I "felt" the biggest diffrence
2. 180° T-stat
3. HPPIII
4. Catback deltaflow 40, single 3" in and out.

Might explore ignition systems but, if I was looking for real performance upgrade in the distant futire, it would be in the area of over 3k in price and as I said, the distant future.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

well just got back from the track and ran almost the exact times as
1337vending now I need to figure the HPP out im sure it will run faster then 16.8s I would like to atleast see a 16.4s-16.50s but I know not to run the rev limiter at 6200 the red line was berried
I was able to make 6 passes and ran almost the same every time leaving the line at 2500rpm will be playing with it more this week and back to the track next Fri. for more test and tune :)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

IM sure most of you with the HPP have fooled with it a bit can I get some ideas on maybe whereto set
Top speed limiter 5200rpm-6200rpm
S 110mph
T 116mph
H 128mph
Tranny shift point MPH
1-2 shift +/-6mph
2-3 shift +/-12mph
3-4 shift +/-18mph
with 3.73 gears
and tranny shift firmness Y or N

thanks for any help
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, this is really HJ's realm but, I'm curious. If the peak performance for our engines performance is around 4800 rpm would you not want your WOT shift points near that range?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I just "reprogrammed" mine for 87 tuning / 89 oct and it runs great. It seems to run as good as it did on 93 tuning / 93 oct. I actually lowered my shift points like 1337vending did (actually I went one notch farther on both the 1-2 and 2-3). Seems like all the engine does is make noise past about 4500 rpms anyway, but then again, I still have the stock exhaust on mine so it's like breathing through a soda straw. I can't wait to stick a flowmaster on the thing.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my truck at the track

now I need pics with the new wheels

Linked oversized images. 100k limit-HJ

1 of the cars at 1 of the tracks I go to Image
alot of motor and NO wheelie bars
Last edited by jeff024 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Can hardly see the crew for all the smoke
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

just tryin to get the HPPlll set .
tune up hopefully tomorrow if my plugs come in ,going to put the same NGK plugs HJ raves about
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:...going to put the same NGK plugs HJ raves about
Raves? :shock:
Installed and ignored ;)

They are doing really well, no complaints :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I was out at the track tonight... I saw a completely stock crew cab Colorado with the 5 cylinder run a 15.9sec 1/4 mile.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

just ordered the taylor wires and hopefully autozone will have the wells gold cap in stock or I will buy it online tomorrow night
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I know this isn't really very "scientific" but my CC now accelerates as well with my 5x8 trailer and garden tractor on the back as it did before without the trailer and tractor. Only changes I made recently was the Magnaflow exhaust and set the truck up for 93 octane with the HPPIII. Oh, and after 50,000 miles, I finally cleaned the K&N air filter! :roll:

(I'm great at changing oil regularly but I sure am bad about everything else!)