Put mod's to good use today!

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Put mod's to good use today!

Post by mjmcdowell »

Soooo my wife and I decided to go up and look at the lot where good friends are going to build a new house, kind of in the mountian foothills here in northern N Y state ,foot of snow on the ground some ice under it and any piles left by the plow are hard as a rock. We saw there lot then went farther to a point where the road had not been plowed. Since the site map of the area said the road went over to another road we knew we wanted to see what the other lots in the area looked like, Put her in 4wd and went about 40 ft, then over a not so big pile of snow and that was all she wrote, stuck big time, wheels spinning on ice and high centered on the transfer case and gas tank. Thankfully I have all the GM skid plates on, as now I can't move. Went down about 1/4 mile and a guy 's wife tried to pull me out backwards with a brand new CC canyon, no go she is spinning in reverse also (stock tires and wet snow combo= no go) then her husband shows up with a big dodge ram 4wd V8 and hooks up to his wifes reaar and we all try again, sucess!! now I am glad I had tow straps and hardware as they had none, also I was glad that ( thanks to someone here on the forum that I could mount 2 hooks on the reciever of my truck for just such events. soooo the mod's and acessories I chose to have in/on my truck proved there worth. My wife said I ll never say another word about all that stuff you carry in your truck, without it we could have had a larger problem. All is well that ends well! the people who rescued us were very nice and the guy said "man you got all the stuff you need" I guess it must be the boy scout in me. Just thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this story and it shows that preperation goes a long way in getting out of a mess. stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sound like it is time to invest in a good set of tire chains. Who knows you might have made it in , or at least been stuck bad enough that the Dodge would not have had a chance :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yes, the mods and xtra stuff we carry do pay off :lol:

I was once unable to move on a sheet of level ice with an old 4 wd K5 Blazer. A good fiend, who was a conservation officer with a mid 80s full size Jeep pickup answered my call for assistance. He hooked a chain to me and he was unable to even take the slack out of the chain. :lol:

A nearby resident with a "take home" cemetary monument setting truck (for a lack of a better term) 4X4 rescued us both. :D

Brule is right. Chains are sometimes the only answer. I got hung up in a 91 bronco and specifically requested from the communiction center that I needed a 4 WD wrecker with chains to help me. When myself and 3 wreckers were unable to move they finally sent a 4X4 with chains.

I guess there are some very good dispatchers but some just think they know more than the officer making the request.... :twisted:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

when the weather turns nasty, or i go off road.....i have an old army bag that i carry a chain, hooks, tow strap, and jumper cables just in case i "need" somthing! and now that i have a high lift jack....it joins the bag now!!! 8)

you just never know!!!! :)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I live in the foothills of the mountains here in SoCal, and go skiing every winter and can tell you it doesn't matter how BIG and Bad your 4Wheel truck is, you always need to carry chains! I have seen people have to leave their "monster trucks" parked in the snow, while I drove right around them in my stock cc with chains on. Always btter safe than sorry!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My girlfriend always makes fun of me because I carry so many safety items and recovery equipment. :( She doesn't laugh so much when I actually need to use this stuff since she knows walking for hours isn't much fun. :lol: I seem to use my tow straps more often helping other people getting un stuck than for myself. I just recently pulled (dragged) an older MR2 out of a huge ditch after a guy backed up a little too far when turning around on a narrow mountain road. About a month ago I pulled a full size 4x4 suburban out of a ditch on Hwy. 80 near Truckee during a blizzard. 8) The little S10 didn't seem so little after that incident. :lol:

Steve
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i would say just be careful that is how i lost my front valence pulling out an f350 that was in the 4 foot snow filled median andout 6 feet
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

camelott112 wrote:i would say just be careful that is how i lost my front valence pulling out an f350 that was in the 4 foot snow filled median andout 6 feet
Did your front tow hook, or tow strap break causing the damage? :?

Steve