HPIII question????????

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

buttnekkidnparadise
Regular
Regular

HPIII question????????

Post by buttnekkidnparadise »

I just recently purchased the HPIII programmer and I love it, but around 20-30 mph the truck shifts really hard, pretty spooky stuff.
I set my transmission stuff at 0,-1,0. Can I adjust those to get a smoother shift?
Thanks.....
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HPP 111

Post by snowsurfer »

Aloha, noticed that you are in Hawaii. I am also, have an HPP111 but went to LS1 edit after I supercharged. Yes you can adjust the shifting points, it takes some time playing and test drives. Log what adjustments you made and test drive the same area so you can feel the difference. Theres also a shift firmness adj that you can try too.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: HPIII question????????

Post by killian96ss »

buttnekkidnparadise wrote:I just recently purchased the HPIII programmer and I love it, but around 20-30 mph the truck shifts really hard, pretty spooky stuff.
I set my transmission stuff at 0,-1,0. Can I adjust those to get a smoother shift?
Thanks.....
It shouldn't be doing that! :shock: Did you use the shift firmness option? Do you already have any sort of shift kit installed in your tranny? The shift points are only for WOT (wide open throttle) which means in normal cruising the truck will shift the same, but when you floor it it will shift at a predetermined shift point (rpm). :)

Steve
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i have not even been able to find a shift kit for our trucks.... :cry:
buttnekkidnparadise
Regular
Regular

?

Post by buttnekkidnparadise »

Howzit Snowsurfer and Aloha killian96ss, I did the Shift Firmness thing and well maybe I just drive with a heavy foot. I gotta get this truck to a track......thanks for you help guys.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I don't believe that the shift firmness option is only for WOT. I definitely noticed when I installed mine much firmer shifts under partial throttle. The 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift are much firmer at around 3000 RPM which is when it normally shifts under normal driving. But that's exactly what I wanted and I love it!!! In fact, I think under WOT it made less difference than under partial. Now I just need to mess with the shift points, cause it takes way to long to shift at WOT.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

camelott112 wrote:i have not even been able to find a shift kit for our trucks.... :cry:
Transgo makes one for our trucks. :) I have the same kit in my SS, and I can tell you it is much better than what you get with the Hypertech shift firmness option. I want to do this to my CC, but I need to wait until my warranty is up, because it will void any transmission work or replacements. :(

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

coreylubahn wrote:I don't believe that the shift firmness option is only for WOT. I definitely noticed when I installed mine much firmer shifts under partial throttle. The 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift are much firmer at around 3000 RPM which is when it normally shifts under normal driving. But that's exactly what I wanted and I love it!!! In fact, I think under WOT it made less difference than under partial. Now I just need to mess with the shift points, cause it takes way to long to shift at WOT.
The shift firmness will work at any speed, but the shift points are only for WOT. You would need to take your truck to the track to get accurate time and speed numbers to see which shift point adjustments will make your truck its fastest. Changing the shift points will do nothing for normal cruising. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you want to firm up the shifts a little more look for the corvette servo mod.

It made the first to second gear shift just right in conjunction with the HPPIII shift firmness.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:If you want to firm up the shifts a little more look for the corvette servo mod.

It made the first to second gear shift just right in conjunction with the HPPIII shift firmness.
TCI also makes very nice servos for 2nd gear and 4th gear. http://tciauto.com/gm/gm_4L60E.htm As with any transmission mod (except Hypertech PPIII), your warranty will be voided on the transmission with the installation of any aftermarket parts. Just something to think about if you still have warranty. :wink:

Steve