New Shocks

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

New Shocks

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

I was looking into getting new shocks and was wondering what you guys recommend. I noticed most of you guys have pro comp, rancho, and bilstein. What series in all threes manufactures are good for a stock truck.
02zr5, 31x10.5 goodyear wrangler mt/r's
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

Ok i been looking around and im leaning toward the procomp 9000's, or bilsteins. Can someone tell me what the difference is between procomps 9000 and the rancho rsx and the rs9000 is, and which they think is better. Or is Bilstein better then all 3 of those shocks. Thanks alot for the help guys.
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

OK sorry to ramble on, but i was snooping around some more and came across shocks from superlift and edlebrock, anyone have some info on these as well.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I cant really tell you whats better but I have the rancho 5000s and they stiffened the truck up now it rides more like a truck and less like a car.When you pick the shock that you want make sure you check on EBAY chances are you will find them cheaper.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

bilsteins are way better than rancho and procomp. superlift i think are repackaged procomp shocks like the eldebrock and summit shocks. i am not sure who they are repackaging.

but look at the price. you get what you pay for. pro comp 9000 are 30 bucks for a reason. they are stiff as hell.

BTW, i had procomp 9000's on the front of my s-10 and i loved it. on the rear i had some used bilestiens that were a bit softer.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

Im not really concerned with how stiff, i just dont want them to blow on me. Ive been looking at the Bilsteins to, and ive noticed that on ebay, some of them have this stupid plastic shield on the bottom, which looks like dirt and stuff would get in there, and on the website and performanceproducts.com, they have the convaluted style, whats the difference, anyone know?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OEM supplied Bilstein shocks use the shield. Aftermarket come with the convoluted boots.
I can only speculate that it was a spec demanded by the vehicle manufacturer.
Look into the design aspects and you will find the Bilstein a longer lifespan shock. There are several reasons for this two of which are the lack of springs used for valving (springs weaken over time) and the monotube design allowing for better cooling.
If you plan to keep the truck long term Bilsteins are a good investment. If not any shocks are a vast improvement over the stock shocks.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

How about rancho rsx as opposed to bilstein?
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

This is probably a stupid question, what about fabtech, i was looking at the dirt logic 2.25, or do they offer shocks for our truck
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

personal opinion, i have upgraded to bilsteins and have no complaint, im not sure what you're looking for in shock but for all practical use the bilsteins are about 1 trillion times better than stock, i drive mine to work and back on a daily basis and have done a little adventuring on the side and the ride is greatly improved :thumb:
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have the Rancho RSX's on my truck and they work great! I run Bilsteins on my SS and they are also very good. IMO the RSX and the Bilsteins are about the same in quality. Don't get Edelbrock they suck. If you have the money go with the Bilsteins or at least the RSX or RS9000's from Rancho. If money is a concern I would go with the Rancho 5000's. :)

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have the rancho 5000s and love them I wanted a stiffer ride and I got lucky and found a guy on Ebay who bought the wrong stocks for his truck and I got all 4 for $85 shipped
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you want a good deal Summit Racing has the Rancho RSX and RS9000X shocks at a really low price for March & April. If you buy 3 you will get the 4th. for free. That is a savings of $50-$90. :D This would make them cheaper than the Bilsteins, and you would be getting a shock that is just as good if not better! I wish they had this deal when I bought mine. :(

Steve
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

rsx's are 17000s right
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

OffroadinZR5 wrote:rsx's are 17000s right
I am using 17000 on the front and 17001 on the rear. Summit part #'s RAN-RSX17000 & RAN-RSX17001. BTW the buy 3 get 1 free deal is a promo from Rancho which means anybody who sells these shocks will have the same deal. Summit has good prices, but it is worth looking around. :wink:
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

Thanks for all the info, I just got off the phone with summit and i ordered the rsx's. Hopefully theyll be here by the weekend so i can put them on.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

OffroadinZR5 wrote:I just got off the phone with summit and i ordered the rsx's.
They did give you the buy 3 get 1 free deal right?
OffroadinZR5 wrote:Hopefully theyll be here by the weekend so i can put them on.
I put the rear shocks on in like 10 miuntes, but the front ones were a little more fun. :lol: Do you also have the 2" BL with your 31" Goodyears?

Steve
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

Yeah i got 1 free. I havent gotten my body lift, i went around town yesterday to get quotes on install and one guy wanted 550, the other guy wanted 630. I talked to my friend at work and he told me to just bring it over, so im hoping to have it BLed by the end of this month
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Offroadin you have 31s on that truck with no BL? also install the lift yourself.
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

Yeah, they fit, if i hit really huge bumps they rub but other then that they work pretty good
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Definitely do the BL yourself. It takes a lot of time but worth saving the $$$. Make sure you have at least one other set of hands and eyes.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
OffroadinZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by OffroadinZR5 »

Shocks came today, got a question, do they go body up or body down?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Can only speak for bilstiens and they are up on the rear and body down on the front..
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Can only speak for bilstiens and they are up on the rear and body down on the front..
For aftermarket Bilsteins. The OEM Bilstein shocks are body down on all four.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

The Bilsteins that I put on are the same as f9k9, body down on front and body up on rear. There should only be one way to install by looking at the mounting brackets of the shocks.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

on my procomps....body up on the rears, body down on the fronts.
i think rancho says body up on the fronts.
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I have ranchos and there body up on all 4 thats the only way they could be installed

EDIT.......... I checked today and mine are body up rear and body down fronts
Last edited by jeff024 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

OffroadinZR5 wrote:Shocks came today, got a question, do they go body up or body down?
Well, since I also have Rancho RSX's, I can tell you they are body down on front and rear. If you look closely at the body of the shock you will see that they are stamped with directional arrows and say This End Up. :wink:

Steve