Plug wires

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Plug wires

Post by coreylubahn »

What plug wires is everyone running? I read in another topic that plug wires can make a good deal of performance difference although a new ignition box might not. I am going to add a HPIII and get a better flowing exhaust (to go along with my already moded air-box and K&N) and maybe I should do plug wires at the same time to get the most difference. Just curious about everyone's take on this. Thanks.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Try using the search function of the board. I just typed in "plug wires" and got 3 pages of threads concerning plug wires. You can always refine the search to get fewer results like "replacement spark plug wires". Often, I think I have done a thorough search to no avail and HenryJ will pull up 20 threads answering my question :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
n0m4d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by n0m4d »

I have the MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires. They seemed to have made a good improvment in performance. Engine also seemed to run smoother and stopped stalling at the car wash. I bought them at Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... 10&x=0&y=0
[size=75]No more CrewCab. Now driving 2007 Hummer H3, 5-speed, 35" Toyo Open Country MT's, PIAA in the driving lights. [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Taylor SpiroPro

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Which Taylor wires are these? I was looking on Summit and they don't have a real good way of searching for a particular model of vehicle. From Taylor's website it looks like a model 74X36 or 91035 but I couldn't find either of these on Summit's site. Thanks.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

coreylubahn wrote:Which Taylor wires are these? I was looking on Summit and they don't have a real good way of searching for a particular model of vehicle. From Taylor's website it looks like a model 74X36 or 91035 but I couldn't find either of these on Summit's site. Thanks.
From Taylors web site, 96-03 S-Series with 4.3L, 8mm Spiro Pro # 74X35 (good), 409 Spiro Pro # 79X25 (better), and Thunder Volt 50 # 98025 (best). On Summits web site you must replace the X in the part # with 0 for black, 2 for red, or 6 for blue. I wouldn't waste my money on the 8mm Spiro Pro, as they are only slightly better than OEM. The 409 or Thundervolt 50 would be my choice if I was going to go with Taylor. MSD Super Conductor wires are just as good also, and I've already listed the part #'s above. :)

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

killian96ss wrote:MSD Super Conductor wires are just as good also, and I've already listed the part #'s above. :)

Steve
Umm, I think I listed the MSD Super Conductors under another topic, but here are the part #'s, 32833 (black), and 32839 (red). :)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... I wouldn't waste my money on the 8mm Spiro Pro, as they are only slightly better than OEM....
I'll have to disagree with that. The 8mm Taylor SpiroPro wires (Summit part# TAY-74035 black ) are way better than the stock 7mm wires.
The ends are formed which prevents leakage, and the silicone outer shield is far better at resisting leakage and crossfiring. Another advantage is that although it is tight you can use the stock wire looms.

I will say that the "409" wires are really good , but cost more and will require new wire looms , as they are substantially larger. I am not sure if they are even offered for the late model V-6? I am running the "409's" on my HenryJ. They are very good wires, but big. They almost look like hoses :shock:

Personally I'd say the $45.39 that I spent on the Taylor SpiroPro's , for the S-10, was money well spent, but I already kind of new they would be good ;)
I have a Mallory SuperMagII running those wires on a BB chevy, and a neighbor across the road running them on his Chevelle. Another BB running 400hp dual stage NOS.
They have been pretty bullet proof :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I guess slightly wasn't the word I was looking for. :? These wires are definitely made much better than the OEM 7mm. I have always purchased plug wires based on their ability to deliver voltage. The Taylor Thundervolt 50 and the MSD Super Conductors have the lowest internal resistance available in a plug wire (50 ohms or less). The 409's are also close to 50, but the Spiro Pros are probably still 100-200 ohms. I thing OEM's are like 200-300 ohms or more. :shock: The part #'s I listed above for the Thundervolt 50 and 409's are a direct fit for 96-03 4.3L Voertec GM trucks with the horizontal distributor cap. For the money the Spiro Pros are a good upgrade. If you don't mind paying more, like 2x more, I think the Thunervolt 50, 409's, or MSD's are going to give better performance, but then I guess were not talking about hi-po racing engines here. :lol: IMO the Thundervolt S-50 (sleeved) wires are probably the best plug wires made right now. :)

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You do make some good points about their resistance.

I would add that we need to be careful about shielding too. The "409's" are a solid metal spiral wound core and give off quite a bit of interference. RF could be a concern for computer controlled devices.

Doesn't MSD warn against using some wire designs? Not that that has anything to do with stock, but something to think about.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Doesn't MSD warn against using some wire designs? Not that that has anything to do with stock, but something to think about.
Solid metal core wires will definitely give off EMI. The MSD's don't appear to have this problem. http://www.msdignition.com/wire_1.htm I didn't know the 409's were solid metal core. I wonder if the Thundervolts are the same. :? If they both are then they should at least warn you about possible EMI problems in the application guide. :alert:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

I was thinking about ordering the 8mm Taylor SpiroPro wires but I was wondering how difficult is it to change out the wires since I never tried it myself?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

CrazyChaz wrote:I was thinking about ordering the 8mm Taylor SpiroPro wires but I was wondering how difficult is it to change out the wires since I never tried it myself?
"P-O-Cake" , Just change them one at a time. Lay them all out from long to short and swap the closest matches until you're done :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I have JBA 10.5mm power wires. I don't think they make them anymore for street (primarily for race). i doubt there is that much difference but they offer a 9mm...
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:"P-O-Cake" , Just change them one at a time. Lay them all out from long to short and swap the closest matches until you're done :D

Yes, The wires themselves are easy to change but, unless they have changed the wire looms since '97 , they are a major pain. As I recall most of them are underneath or behind something and I to go at them by "feel". Not being able to see how they open up or attach to the supports made it very difficult.

I do remember that I started around 1:00 PM in the summer time and when I finished up, it was dusk :lol:

Most of it was my fault and having to "relearn" silly things like accessing some plugs through the fender wells, my old spark plug sockets wouldn't fit newer plugs and going to 3 parts stores before I located a wobble extension for the #3 plug :idea:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Anybody heard of "Beldon" 8mm wires??? I can get them locally for 58.99. Anybody have any experience with these??
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pauleo wrote:Anybody heard of "Beldon" 8mm wires???
NAPA carries the Belden brand. They are OK. Primarily OEM replacement stuff, maybe slightly better. They make different grades. I use the premium grade on the fleet vehicles with satisfactory results.

- ThunderII KE7CSK