MSD Ignition Box?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

MSD Ignition Box?

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ, what MSD Box are you using? I was thinking about getting the Off Road version for my Crew, but after installing a Digital 6 on my SS recently, and picking up 15hp, yes 15hp, I'm wondering what would work better. I have used an MSD 6AL before on an older Impala, and I was happy with the results. The Digital 6 would be nice on the Crew, but maybe a bit overkill since it has 2 rpm limiters, start retard, and a top speed limiter, not to mention about $100 more than the regular 6 series. Did you get more power with your MSD? :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would say that I did pick up some. Mostly in the top end (3k-up)

It smoothed the idle some, and starts with just a bump.

I have the 6AL only because it was mismarked at a local store. Too cheap to pass on. They pulled the tag and sold one to me though :D

All the 6A* boxes are basically the same electronics. The offroad box has the electronics encased in epoxy, and uses rubber mounts.
The "rubber stud mounts" are available at hardware stores and that is what I used to mount mine.

The stock ignition system on these is pretty good, if you upgrade those lousy wires.
I was more concerned with my EGR and throttle blade modifications. That was one reason I added the MSD.
I would do it again though. I do think it helps.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:The stock ignition system on these is pretty good, if you upgrade those lousy wires.
Did you also use MSD wires? MSD lists these part #'s 32833 (black), and 32839 (red). Did you use one of these? One thing I have learned about late model GM coils is that they are pretty good factory pieces, and you won't gain anything going to a replacement coil from MSD. :roll:

Steve
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Killian,

It says in your signature that you have a Throttle Blade and an EGR Limiter. What exactly are these, what are they for, and do they work. I'm trying to get my mod list put together and I've heard this throttle blade thrown around several times but I still don't know what it does for ya. So fill me in please...thanks!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The throttle blade mod is a replacement throttle blade that doesn't have the hemispherical restrictor on the bottom side. If you look into your throttle body and open the throttle blade you will see what I mean. This mod will improve throttle response and give you about 5-8hp. The EGR limiter is a connecter pipe (between the intake manifold and EGR tube) that limits the amount of EGR gases that are reintroduced back into the intake stream. This mods frees up a little off the line hesitation, helps reduce carbon buildup in the intake manifold, and gives you about 2-5hp. Both mods work best after doing the air box mod with the K&N filter, or installing an aftermarket intake kit.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am running the Taylor SpiroPro wires.
Best bang for the buck, and any color you want. I chose black.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

hey hj did you put it in yourself how difficult would you say it was if you did and are the instructions pretty clear
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

camelott112 wrote:hey hj did you put it in yourself how difficult would you say it was if you did and are the instructions pretty clear
The hardest part was mounting it. I bought the harness, so it was basically plug-n-play. This also allows for easy bypassing should troubles arise.

Here is my "page"- MSD 6AL ignition control

- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

just plug and play oh i love electronics for dummies!!!