The 4x4 chevy hd decal (400th post!)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

The 4x4 chevy hd decal (400th post!)

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

Does anyone have any good tips on applying the Chevy hd 4x4 decal to the bedside of our trucks. I bought it off ebay and the seller said it was the same as the OEM decal. Should I scrub the bedside before applying ? Im pretty sure I should'nt wax it... Any tips are welcome.
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
Jim

Re: The 4x4 chevy hd decal (400th post!)

Post by Jim »

DiagnosisDirt wrote:Does anyone have any good tips on applying the Chevy hd 4x4 decal to the bedside of our trucks. I bought it off ebay and the seller said it was the same as the OEM decal. Should I scrub the bedside before applying ? Im pretty sure I should'nt wax it... Any tips are welcome.
Instructions for general installation here:
http://www.decalzone.com/decfacts.shtml#generalApp

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I like to use a diluted windshield washer fluid mix in a squirt bottle.

Wipe the area down good with clean paper towel and dry afterward.

Make some alignment marks with a dry erase marker. Then mist it with the same washerfluid mix, it seems to evaporate faster and is enough to break the surface tension for smaller droplets. Apply the decal. The fluid allows you to move the decal around to line it up. once it is where I want it, I use a plastic squeegee to work the fluid out from under it , starting at the middle working out in all directions.

Don't worry about small bubbles they will disappear.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Some decals are designed to be applied dry, or wet. I prefer wet applications...much easier IMO, but my 4x4 decals had to be done dry.

I took scotch tape and taped the stickers into position, by the top only. Make sure you use alot of tape and secure the top well, because it took alot of pressure to pull the protective sheet off the bottom of the stickers.

Gradually pull the protective sheet off and press on the sticker as you go, watching for air bubbles and tears.....

That's about it for my install. And yes, clean the area GOOD!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

wamason wrote:.

That's about it for my install. And yes, clean the area GOOD!
If you have recently waxed the truck, it might be good to use a good cleaner (like Mother's multi-step deep cleaner) where the first step helps strip off old wax, just in the area where the decal goes, then wax around it again..
It shouldnt be an issue unless it was recent wax job though..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

I use the eagle one spray wax , I mean it seems to work good but its gone in like a week or so , would some hot water , soap and a dish sponge clean the area good ?
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
Jim

Post by Jim »

DiagnosisDirt wrote:I use the eagle one spray wax , I mean it seems to work good but its gone in like a week or so , would some hot water , soap and a dish sponge clean the area good ?
Cleaning and Prepping Surface:
If surface is at all dirty, wash with soap and water rinse with water until there is no more soap or soap residue. Make sure Surface is absolutely dry before proceeding to next step.

Thoroughly wipe down the area of the Surface where Decal is to be applied with alcohol. Glass cleaners or other ammonia-based products are not recommended for this purpose, even with glass installations.

Once the surface is clean, installation may begin. A clean Surface will help to insure that your Decal will stay in place for both the short and long run.

We strongly suggest you wait at least 60 days after painting a surface before applying any decal, because should you ever wish to remove the decal the paint will come off with it if the paint is not properly cured before application.

from this link

http://www.decalzone.com/decfacts.shtml#generalApp
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
DiagnosisDirt
Regular
Regular

decal is on....

Post by DiagnosisDirt »

The decal looks nice , I think its different then the oem one , It is multilayerd
Im pretty sure the gm ones are one piece allowing for a wet application ?
right ? It looks good except for those litlle friggin air bubbles !
-Craig

02' S-10 crew cab Pewter
ChevyMan6
Regular
Regular

Post by ChevyMan6 »

Where did you get that decal from i have been looking for one on ebay and can't seem to find one.
If it ain't a Chevy run it off a levy.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

ChevyMan6 wrote:Where did you get that decal from i have been looking for one on ebay and can't seem to find one.
Try gmpartsdirect.com part no. 15707440. $6.51 per decal.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]