Cheapie laptop mount

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Cheapie laptop mount

Post by F9K9 »

I ordered a laptop mounting kit off Ebay a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple different sellers that offer them for $30.00. They advise the buyer's that they can be modified with parts from your local Lowes. They could be put together cheaper if you have the tools to cut and drill countersink holes in plexiglass. My shipping was $8.00 and the "optional quick disconnect" was another $2.50.

This is what you get!

I provided the above items for something like $2.50

Bottom side of laptop shelf.

I removed the conical grey bolt cover on the inboard front of passenger seat, the darker grey horizontal trim beneath the front of the passenger seat and the trim over the passenger's forward outboard seat mounting bolt trim. Both the conical cover and the trim on the other front seat bolt molding is removed by pulling straight up. The horizontal trim is removed with an allen wrench (Sorry, do not know the size). removing one screw on each end. I used a 15 MM socket to remove the inboard seat nut but, had to use a 15 MM box end ratchet wrench on the outboard one. Non power seats are probably entirely different.

I left the rear seat bolts untouched.

I used to stainless screws and lock nuts to mount the base to the metal strap which I bolted down under the seat mount. No holes were drilled through the floor board but, I wouldn't hesitate to so.

Next, I just played with different lengthes of pipe and number of angles to get a good compromise position. I recommend checking things like seat movement, climate controls, audio access and to make sure it is clear of an airbag deployment.

The "Quick Disconnect" is about 4 " up from base.

$43.00 bucks and 45 minutes later you have a laptop mount :D

I could have shaved five to ten minutes off of that if, my mentor hadn't insisted of pics. :roflmao:

Don't even mention the steering wheel cover :twisted: Mrs. F9 bought it for me and I have tried my best to "speed" up it's normal wear. and tear!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Added your "write-up" to the mod pages - Black Iron Pipe Laptop Mount

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I must add.. it seems like a nice sturdy mount and good write up :thumb:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Added your "write-up" to the mod pages - Black Iron Pipe Laptop Mount

Thank HJ for prodding me to document it :) Each time I do a mod, I learn a little more. Of course I did not to think of taking every tool I might need to where I worked on the mod so I scrambled to find allen wrenches. Located a 30 piece 5 buck chinese tool kit or would have listed allen head size. :lol:

Camera was almost out memory and Murphy was looking over my shoulder :lol:
2bunik wrote:I must add.. it seems like a nice sturdy mount and good write up :thumb:

Will try to take notes and plenty of pics on my BL this spring so, someone can edit the current one. keyword being "someone" HJ :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I ended taking the original mount out. It was ok but with the way I attached it the piece of metal and then to the passenger seat bolt made it unsteady. I accidentally stumbled upon a much better Mount on Ebay while searching for DeLorme Earthmate software and a GPS receiver. The one pictured is $55, non powdercoated ones are $45. They accidentally sent the red one and the wrong size table size. The correct one is on the way but was told I could use this one until the correct one arrives.

I decided to bite the bullet and use stainless steel self tapping screws. Well, I tried 5 different locations and they all resulted in failure due to the softness of the metal in the floorboard area. I couldn’t use a nut and bolt setup because the heat shield covered the entire area. I finally crawled under the driver’s side to see where there might be good metal on the passenger’s side. Well, I struck gold and found solid steel in the area of the picture. Go any further forward of the seat mounting bolt and it will not work.

The mount, at first glance, looks pretty flimsy but, tighten if up with an allen wrench and box end and it is very sturdy! Those are 3 regular bricks on it and no sagging.!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Nice steering wheel cover :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

but the steering wheel cover is color coordinated with your truch reed!!!!! the mrs did a fine job picking it out!!! :lol: like the puter mount too!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:but the steering wheel cover is color coordinated with your truch reed!!!!! the mrs did a fine job picking it out!!! :lol: like the puter mount too!!!!!

Mrs F9K9 did pick out the cover :D

I ordered a Black mount and a smaller table for my VAIO which is on the way :lol:

The guy did say he could get any color powdercoat including "glow in the dark" :roflmao: