Locking hitch pin

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Locking hitch pin

Post by HenryJ »

I saw this picture of quickbiker's winch...

...and what I assume is his security system (cable)?

I intended to use my SS locking hitch pin...

... to secure the front mounted winch, but ran into some difficulty in attaching the two piece design with the larger quick connector in the way.

So I am going to try one of these-

I cut one of these off a friends truck. I can't remember whether it was bent/damaged, or just lost the keys.
It did take some effort to remove though.

This seems like an easy to attach design, and should be much easier to install.

I have never had a problem with hitch theft in this area, but I don't want the first one be the loss of my winch. :D

What are you using to secure your hitch mounted accessories?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

What are you using to secure your hitch mounted accessories?

this usally works real well :lol: :lol:
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maximous wrote: Image
this usally works real well
:lol: If an operator is present. If not it poses an incentive to break in ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
Maximous wrote: Image
this usally works real well
:lol: If an operator is present. If not it poses an incentive to break in ;)
Not much of an incentive in the 9MM edition :lol: :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I have the 2 piece design. It's Ok but sometimes when I take the lock off, that "sleeve" stays stuck inside and I have to poke it out with a screwdriver.

Theft hasn't been a problem for me where I live. I have a bunch of neighbors who not only never lock anything, they leave their keys in their cars and everything. There's a couple of fairly nice 4x4's on my street that always have the keys dangling out of the ignition switch. Of course my neighbors probably have the above pictured "theft deterrent". I wouldn't want to find out. Lots of land around here to bury the evidence!

BTW, I lock everything!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This thread could be the poster child of "Off Topic" Sorry, HJ :(
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
heyspike

Post by heyspike »

I use the 2 piece one. It also came with a lock for the trailer side too. Everything works fine, just keep it lubed. But I rarely take mine out.
John.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

heyspike wrote:I use the 2 piece one. It also came with a lock for the trailer side too. Everything works fine, just keep it lubed. But I rarely take mine out.
John.
I wouldn't take my hitch out either but I have a real knack for bashing my leg on it when I walk around behind the truck, especially when it's in the garage. :x
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Rusty wrote:
heyspike wrote:I use the 2 piece one. It also came with a lock for the trailer side too. Everything works fine, just keep it lubed. But I rarely take mine out.
John.
I wouldn't take my hitch out either but I have a real knack for bashing my leg on it when I walk around behind the truck, especially when it's in the garage. :x
Boy do I know that feeling (literally) :!:
With the hitch reciver I have to fit my trailer, it comes in at just the right hight to really catch you in the leg too.. I wear Ariat cowboy boots all the time, but my hitch comes in just above them and catches me instead of the boot!

On the original topic, anyone know how reliable that one piece is? I used to work at an rv dealer and saw my share of hitch pin failures.. They used to make a quik-release pin that had a (non locking) one piece design.. they had a lot of failures of the piece that kept it from sliding out and they would try to work themselves free with hitch rattle.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The new single piece hitch pin arrived today.

It is made by Image and seems to be a nice piece.

They are a part of Pilot Automotive. It looks like they carry a long line of assorted accessories.

- ThunderII KE7CSK