Tail Light Brush Guards

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Tail Light Brush Guards

Post by F9K9 »

To set this scenario up for you, I have to bore you with a little of my history.

1. I drove taxpayer's full size 4X4's for over 25 yrs. and never broke a tail light housing.

2. I was able to get turned around all but, one time when the trail ended.

3. I truly hate yellow vehicles but, could not pass up the deal on my CC
:lol:

4. I have tried to do anything in the color black to offset the color of my yellow cab/short school bus :lol:

Got some Go Rhino tail light guards off of "Doc" (He was deployed today and I know we all are with him one way or another) :)

Do you like them, hate them or have experiences with them to share?

I am totally undecided 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

i like them now just time for some new TAILLIGHTS
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

If anything, get the GTS smoke taillight covers.

[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

AZS10Crew wrote:If anything, get the GTS smoke taillight covers.
do they have one to match for the third brake light?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mark,

Do you keep your tail light covers on 24/7?

I've come an ace of rear ending a car that was slowing up on the interstate because his/her covers were too dark. :x
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

btw...

I think the brush guards look great. Although, I've been hesitant to add them to mine because I've always kinda thought of them as part of a whole brush guard package. Looks a little off having on rear but not on front.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Here's what my fake guards look like. I did them with chrome self-adhesive wheel well trim, also available in black. Cost $9.95 enough for four lights.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:btw...

I think the brush guards look great. Although, I've been hesitant to add them to mine because I've always kinda thought of them as part of a whole brush guard package. Looks a little off having on rear but not on front.

I agree with needing the front and rear guards as a packaged look. I dislike my present GM front brush guard because it is strictly ornamental and I really can't figure out how to mount some decent lights on it.

I don't know if a light like KC daylighter can be mounted to a vertical support :?:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

shouldn't be too hard to find a lil' angle clip to convert that to a horizontal mount

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:shouldn't be too hard to find a lil' angle clip to convert that to a horizontal mount

I've thought of using something similar and have been looking for something like that on my lunch hours.. I just need to widen my search area a little more.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...I don't know if a light like KC daylighter can be mounted to a vertical support...
I don't see why not.

Bolt it to the upright, then just rotate the bulb 90 degrees to properly position the lights focal pattern.

You may need to modify a notch?

It can be done fairly easily though I'm sure.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:...I don't know if a light like KC daylighter can be mounted to a vertical support...

I don't see why not.

Bolt it to the upright, then just rotate the bulb 90 degrees to properly position the lights focal pattern.

You may need to modify a notch?

It can be done fairly easily though I'm sure.

Well, it is Christmas time and I have slowed up on the "Mods" and just taking my time.

I did the tail light guards because DOC is deploying and I have a special place in my heart for all those that serve :!:

Just wish I had an excuse for the GM hitch and Delta Flowmaster I just ordered :lol: :lol:

All options are wide open at this point. :P

Westin Safari Bar, GM brush guard, Mark's ORI Prerunner Bar and if I can find a deal on a WAAG Grille/Brush guard will do that.. :wink:

Hope all will excuse me if I am exploring too much on front end setups :)
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

barch97 wrote:
do they have one to match for the third brake light?
Not that I've seen. I've thought about putting a bowtie sticker over it as a stencil and spray painting the rest black so that I'd be left with a bowtie brake light.
f9k9 wrote:Mark,

Do you keep your tail light covers on 24/7?
Yep...always on. I had the headlight ones on for a while, but that severely affected my night vision, so I left only the turn signal ones on the front.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

I just bought a set of emblem decals off of ebay. They are carbon fiber'ish with an epoxy type coating over them . It was a set of 4. One big one for the front and three little ones to cover all of the other emblems. I was really surprised how good they look!!! Much, Much better than the factory gold. Here is the item #. Just put it in the search bar in EBay.

weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

By the way... I think the tail light guards look great. I always thought they were more for show than actual function, but I do like the way they look. I don't like the smoked plastic covers, They make the tail lights too hard to see and look pretty much like stick on plastic. Just my thoughts.

Weaselmf
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Hey. Where did you get the 4x4 decal? I have seen a lot of S10s with the 4x4, and all the F/S seem have gotten it, but mine didnt come with any decals.. and since I'm not raised way up, everyone thinks its a 2wd (not so much after the Revos... the stock tires though it looked like a 2wd..

I've seen a couple places to order aftermarket decals, but they all seemed huge for the S10.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I bought my Decals here :D
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

here is the original post on these decals .. alot of good info ..
-->DECAL POST TOPIC<------
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

back to the topic on covers for taillamps... This is what I did for my stang back in the day.. you buy talight covers EXCEPT for you order them clear.. Then you get this kit here in summit racing newest catalog ventshades coolights $12.39
you then buy that automotive paint that matches the color of your truck at wallyworld or something. and the out come is a tailight cover with your design and the same color as your truck.. so it looks like this

Auto Ventshade Coollights Headlight Styling Kits
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

2bunik wrote:back to the topic on covers for taillamps... This is what I did for my stang back in the day.. you buy talight covers EXCEPT for you order them clear.. Then you get this kit here in summit racing newest catalog ventshades coolights $12.39
you then buy that automotive paint that matches the color of your truck at wallyworld or something. and the out come is a tailight cover with your design and the same color as your truck.. so it looks like this

Auto Ventshade Coollights Headlight Styling Kits
looked at those and liked very much

Could you tell and diffrence in the headlights atter the one mod?

That would be my concern.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

My mustang headlights were shot any how.. however.. I dont recall a great noticable differance in light..
I WILL BE THE PIGEON ON THIS ONE...
but help me find the clear set of covers for our trucks and I will buy them .. I have had no luck.. yet

Great thing about it is that you can make the clear opening larger by simply using a larger sticker from the kit.. JUST SO YOU KNOW that kit is just a large random assortment of stickers.. you apply the sticker on the inside of the cover. (get fancy with your designs here ) they apply paint on the inside of the cover then apply black over that to darken the color.. then peel the stickers off and WALA you got some nice shiny covers.. and best thing is . since they are clear and you are painting the inside of the cover.. the paint job always looks prestine..
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

2bunik wrote: I WILL BE THE PIGEON ON THIS ONE...
but help me find the clear set of covers for our trucks and I will buy them .. I have had no luck.. yet ..
Come to think of it I have seen clear headlight covers online :)

They were for painting and I remember seeing them in tha ad painted the truck's color.

Clear covers.......just found these
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

kf6kmx wrote:
Hey. Where did you get the 4x4 decal? I have seen a lot of S10s with the 4x4, and all the F/S seem have gotten it, but mine didnt come with any decals.. and since I'm not raised way up, everyone thinks its a 2wd (not so much after the Revos... the stock tires though it looked like a 2wd..

I've seen a couple places to order aftermarket decals, but they all seemed huge for the S10.
I got mine from Decal King
[size=75]Mark
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

THEY HAVE TO BE CLEAR THOUGH ...
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you can get clear this is from the site above .......................AutoVentshade Head Light Covers help prevent damage to expensive headlights. Custom aerodynamic designs fit perfectly and are available in smoke or clear impact-modified acrylic. Easy to install and remove.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]