V8 swap

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Coda
Crew
Crew

V8 swap

Post by Coda »

Hey im thinking about swapping in a v8.. Is there a specific gm crate engine that everyone uses for the swap, or is it basically just any 350 that can fit?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Maybe it's just me (am an old fart with a son older than you) but, have been following your adventures and BTW congrats on the scholarship :thumb:

Your parents are very generous and I see the list of mods (and dollars) building :D

I would love to have a full sized 2 dr Tahoe with a stock 350 ci to start out with. Performance and lift parts are plentiful. Does that have any appeal to you?

BTW, I loved your late 60s Camaro thought.

These are just my thoughts and I do not mean to question your line of thinking so, please do not think that I am.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

Haha, you couldnt have been more dead on. My parents told me back a year ago that if i got a scholarship that theyd let me do whatever I wanted to my truck as long as it was reasonable. And yes, after much convincing, a V8 is reasonable. As for my mods, im looking to get, the SL 6" (ordering tomorrow if all goes well) PA 2" body lift, 35" bf muds (if they fit), american racing outlaw II wheels, the new magnaflow cat-back exhaust, 350 small block swap, whatever gears i need to swap too (lol), grill gaurd with KC highligts... and ummmm... i think thats about it.... Im sure the list will grow as i see new things come out. But yea, thats it. As for the V8 swap everyone told me its better for the long run than a supercharger. So, Its not like im doing this anytime soon, but just wanted to get some ideas so i know what im talking about so when i call my local shop they dont think im nuts.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I don't really know much about this subject, so this is more of a question than an answer. Do you think a 4.8 Liter GM V-8 would work better than a 350? I don't know if the engine would fit better or worse, just a thought tho.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

The 305/350 swap into S10's is probably easier, because the 4.3 is basically a small block Chevy v8 with 2 cylinders cut off.

There's lots of V8 engine swap info on other S10 fourms - could probably dig around there and see what you need, and I think that Snowsurfer here has lots of experience doing V8 swaps on s10's.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

thanks, ill do some research and post any info i find.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

s it just the HP you want or the v-8 itself because a powerdyne or vortec with headders, exhaust, MSD upgrade, etc. can get you close to 300+ hp.. There is also a company that rebuilds the 4.3 to handle 500hp with the bolt on intercooled twin turbo setup for around $5000.00

to me, that would be worth more than a v-8 swap
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Coda wrote:thanks, ill do some research and post any info i find.
:D :D :D :D
http://www.customconversion.com/Pages/C ... 0_V-8.html

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

Justin wrote:There is also a company that rebuilds the 4.3 to handle 500hp with the bolt on intercooled twin turbo setup for around $5000.00
Do you know what company that happens to be and if there is a web site? Yes, im doing it mostly for hp gains.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

company is called machine performance. I have been looking for their webiste for you. its a nice setup. You send them your motor and they go through it completely to what you want...The company may have went out of business but there was a setup in a zr2 and an extreme with pictures
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Believe The Company You Are Looking For Is Here:

http://www.machperformance.com/43enginepackages.html

This Is The Link To The 4.3L Engine Packages They Do
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

there it is..... thanks
anthony

Post by anthony »

beware thse turbo kits..thats a ton of power for the 4.3 and really costly....kinda taxes the stock injection too much..they make power but longevity and reliablity has been called into ? b4..u want a v8 swap.if u got 96 and up,just go with v8 vortec swap,its the easiest and cheapest since youll use most of your stock components and wiring.and if thats not enough u can always stoke the motor,maybe a nice 383,and if that aint enough that powerdyne s/c for your 4.3 will bolt right up to the v8 and make more than enough hp for u...consider that first...granted theres those who say the lt1 and ls1 engines ar ebetter ,which they are right,but in all reality those swaps are much more costly and some require alot of extra costly work that most weekend warriors cant do or dont have the tools to do
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

V8 swaps

Post by snowsurfer »

I've actually done over 6- V8 swaps in the last 10 yrs but all on pre 90 models. I love S10's and have own quite a few in the last 20 yrs. My last swap was a 83, ext cab 4X4, that I bought originally in 83. I still have it till today. I bought a new crew in 03 and decided to try a Powerdyne SC. Much easier install, less power, but not bad overall.
There's a company called Stealth or" JTR that run", that sells a book with all the part numbers and suggestions on V8 installs which is very helpful. Cooling is usually a major issue distance from fan to rad. is extremely important and also shroulding is very important. I never needed E fans if it's set up right a Vette radiator works the best.
If it's power that you want V8 is the way to go but if it's a daily driver Powerdyne is real easy and can be dismantled at any time.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I second Snowsurfer on getting the book. Here's the site address: http://www.jagsthatrun.com

I was going to do the V8 swap on another Blazer I had (as a lot of people here will remember "The Great Project") but that went away (and No, I don't want to talk about it - very sore subject :( ).

Anyway, I did read the book and found it very good although the author sometimes comes across as a bit arogant and some of his opinions need to be taken with a proverbial grain of salt. The biggest thing is research it as much as you can and start gathering parts. Try to have as much ready before you start. That's the advice a lot of people gave me. :wink:
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

Go with an LS1. they have amazing performance and you can have a hot rod that gets about 20 mpg. Not to mention there are a bunch of performance accessories for them. Plus, you get to put the corvette engine covers on to make it look oh so sweet. I have been wanting to put one in a stepside 2wd reg cab 2000-up s-10. Add a blower or a turbo one of Banks Performance twin turbo set-ups and tub out the rear end...... It's just money!!!!!!! :lol: