Air Box Mod

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Air Box Mod

Post by camelott112 »

hey brule you modded your airbox and have a k&n fipk how did that work out??? i didnt really understand the pics bc i havent gotten to take mine apart yet but when i get home ill take my grill and whatnot off and see whats up...and at the end of the pic instructions it said you havent had trouble in water why is that i really dont know could you help me out
thanks
brian
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Having both works out really good.

The FIPK is on the truck and the modded box is gathering dust in the garage ;)

I just left the information on my personal website since the headlight mod is in there too. Plus that was a good mod, and if I knew then , what I know now...I would have left the box in there and saved my money :D

The water part is in there because the common question was, "Doesn't opening up the frontend allow a larger opening for water to get in?" :roll:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

you saying the box mod was better than the fipk....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

camelott112 wrote:you saying the box mod was better than the fipk....
About the same, or at least not nearly enough difference to justify the $260 difference in cost.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

oh wow thanks for the input saved me some cash
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

for me so far 1 of the best thing i did was put on an air raid ($135.00 shipped) i now average 20 miles to a gallon thats also with a bed cover.
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

Is the Air Raid able to draw air from the outside? I hadn't heard of this so I looked around on the net. It looks like an open cone under the hood?

I'm looking for something along the lines of what I have for my car
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 5_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 6_full.jpg

Sorry for the long links but I don't know how to just show the text :(

Thanx
Forrest
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

how about the hoods ppl are putting on tlike the cowl hoob that hj has functional or just really bad a$$ looking bc im quite handy with fiberglass and i think with some time and the right guidance on putting the m.a.s. in i could fab an air box maybe even better off a ss hood (mmmmmmmm) what do you think about that a drop in square filter and a couple removal clips and some bood material to keep the seal on the hood im full of ideas here in the desert.... hehehe
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

shrubs2000 wrote:...Sorry for the long links but I don't know how to just show the text :(
[ url=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 5_full.jpg]your text here[ /url]

your text here

I had to put spaces in the tags so they would show. Remove them.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

it is a cone filter close to what u have on that car summittracing AIRRAID .............part # AID-200-133
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

plus this bed coverextang snapless
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

Retep wrote:[ url=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 5_full.jpg]your text here[ /url]

I had to put spaces in the tags so they would show. Remove them.
Thanx. I always wondered how to do that on the boards.
jeff024 wrote:it is a cone filter close to what u have on that car [AID-200-133
I'm interested in the complete CAI. I know my car performs better with the outside air from the fender well / headlight area as apposed to an open cone inside the hood. I also didn't want an FWI since there is too much of a chance for water to get at it. Maybe I will get some time this winter and gut the air box. [/b]
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

So I had some down time at work last night (a few hours) and I cut into the airbox. I opened up the front of the box, the hole in the metal between box and headlamp, and the headlamp mount (which I think may be damaged from a fender bender 1st owner). I didn't have any rubber to form a seal from airbox to frame, will do that next week off.

I should know better than to be hesitant on these mods. Even though I am far from mechanical, I try to do all my own work, I get nervous as H@ll cutting into my ride... But WOW!!! I left work this morning with a redlined tac and tires spinning good...

Next up on the mod list will have to be the exhaust, I plan on removing the pre-cat and putting 3" cat back.

Thanks again guys, I couldn't be doing this stuff without you all frontiering it and educating me on here.

WH
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Keep a close eye on your fuel mileage and see if there is a difference , after you get past flooring it for fun :lol:
I am curious to see your results.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

[quote="shrubs2000"]Is the Air Raid able to draw air from the outside? I hadn't heard of this so I looked around on the net. It looks like an open cone under the hood?

It is just a cone under the hood. I am working on some type of enclosure so it draws in cold air from outside.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

HenryJ wrote:Keep a close eye on your fuel mileage and see if there is a difference , after you get past flooring it for fun :lol:
I am curious to see your results.
Ok, third tank since Airbox and Throttle valve mod's done...

I had to switch gas stations recently though, so I'm not sure how much that may effect the mileage :?

I'm getting a good 20.5 to 20.8 range now on 87 octane.

Was getting 19.5 to 19.9 on 89 octane from truck stop before they shut down.

WH

And I have to watch those "launches" now as my rubber bill may supercede any fuel savings these mod's have created. :wink: