Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Shield install

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Am heading out to do battle with the shields.....lol
Give us a "blow by blow" on the install :D

Never hurts to have a new perspective on how the install goes for someone new :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Have the tranny one on and figured out most of the front of the two but, those multilple piece brackets (stripped one on the passenger side) appears that if I pull originals bolts that s### will fall apart or I need to support stuff to get the brakets back on.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Ok, exhausted two rechargeable maglights. Passenger's side mount is on, driver's side will not pass through the last obstacle. I should have learned a lesson with the shackles that anything suspension related should not be attempted on a surface not level. May work is one axis is level but. I am dealing with driveway sloped front to rear and right to left. May be common sense to you mod veterans but, wouldn't hurt to tell the newbies in your mod section. Am sure an evening of thought and a new day will solve the small problem tomorrow. I didn't have the problem of too long a bolt so maybe my attempt on an uneven surface flexed stuff enough to get it started.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Lessons learned by a displaced Yankee, born in micihigan and raised in Ohio:

1. Don't use ramps on uneven gravel driveways.

2. Don't use ramps for anything, except maybe an oil change.

3. After buying quality tools for 35 years and having to have a full blown tool chest and tool box to keep them in, one will always discover something he/she doesn't have a tool in the midst of a job and either the truck you are working on is disabled, if it isn't disabled, you have had four beers and shouldn't drive and you're too proud to ask your better half to drive you somewhere.

4. Murphy was an optimist :lol:

Anyway, the shields are on and I appreciate the help. In the mod section there is a GM part number for the front shield that contains a hyphen. Drop the hyphen to locate the part and GMpartsdirect.com is a whole lot cheaper than http://www.gmpart.com/

Hope the rest of your weekend is a good one :)
Last edited by F9K9 on Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...In the mod section there is a GM part number for the front shield that contains a hyphen. Drop the hyphen to locate the part and GMpartsdirect.com is a whole lot cheaper...
Does this mean that you ordered one?

You do know that the composites are replacing the aluminum shields , and it is a "crap shoot" as to which stock that you will get (old aluminum, or new composites).

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Am not ordering one, I just revisited the mod instruction page during my install and tried to check out ordering one if my salvage yard attempts failed. I tried looking up that part number back in May and nothing came up from either source and I had emailed both as they suggested but, never heard from either one.. I dropped the "dash" in the part number and got results from both places. BTW, thanks for your help!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No problem :D I'll keep my eyes open on this end, as usual ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I finally heard from one of the sources posted in the shield mod section and will pass it on to.

"Kimberly,

As I understand these "shields" could be either a synthetic or of metal. Is there anyway you could verify that they would be metal?

Thank you for your quick response,

Reed Wetter"

"Hello Reed,

According to the catalog the shields are aluminum.
Here is the price quote you requested!

Part Number Description List $ Sale $
15561150 bracket 11.51ea 9.78ea - 0 in stock,
can order
15155700 shield 123.14 104.67 - 0 in stock,

If you have any questions feel free to call me at 800-238-6450 ext 756.

Thanks
Kim"

Just to let you all know that the front is still aluminum.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...Just to let you all know that the front is still aluminum.
Yes, the catalogs do still have them listed as aluminum and the part number is the same.
Unless they lay their hands on it and open the box...you never know.

There is some NOS still out there, but they are no longer making the aluminum shields and the composite shields are replacing them.

Like I said "it is a crap shoot".

I have had good luck, as well as have others. It only took me two tries to get an aluminum shield.

Now the shield package does have the aluminum front shield, so far as we have seen :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I was quoted 60 bucks for the front sheild at my dealer. I get a deal under my job.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

$60 bucks is a good deal. Am having a friend's husband, who is a service manager for three small dealerships in SE KY, check into the shields. If he could find a new Vega motor in the crate at one of them last year, he should be able to find a metal shield :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Update....... :wink:

Got the front shield from service manager buddy for $70. I bet I called 30 or more salvage yards and could not locate one. I did have the first place I called tell me that they had one and that I should drive down and get it. Learned a lesson on that one! :lol:

I threw it on and a WISE man from a far, far, far away galaxy (named Oregon) :lol: told me to polish it with NEVR-DULL. I asked him if it was really worth it and he said that it was. Well, I wasn't convinced but, tried it for five minutes laying on my back under the truck and was surprised. I then ran into the house and grabbed my trusty rachet and socket and jerked it off. I spent another 20 minutes and it really started to shine. I was also told that it will get better each time I shine it.

Last edited by F9K9 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb:

They really do look go that way :D

I thought mine would stand out more and look a little strange, but quite the opposite is true. Polished like that it acts as a mirror and reflects the image of what ever surface you park on.

It is almost like adaptive camouflage :lol:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

f9k9 looks like you really got those torsion bars cranked.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I hope not :!:

I had a shop do it with an alignment. I specified a 1.5" crank.

I should have took measurements before the work :oops:

Am now afraid that they did the crank without letting it settle on the rack or after a short drive.

It may be more than what I asked for but, I didn't make it clear to them so, it will be my fault.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I really like the polished look. :thumb:
I might have to do this to my front skid.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Retep wrote:I really like the polished look. :thumb:
I might have to do this to my front skid.

Pete

It's easy and fast but, just be careful if you remove yours to do it, be careful not to snug the bolts as tight as you want to when you reattach. They easily strip the threads in the frame:)\

I know...........they shouldn't be that easily stripped but, they are. Just be sonservative:)