180 Degree TSAT Install Revisited

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

180 Degree TSAT Install Revisited

Post by F9K9 »

I know that this must seem like a question that shouldn't need to be asked but, the last mechaical work I did before getting my CC was just before my military stint in SE Asia and afterwards. With small and big block V-8s you need a gasket to replace your thermastat and later a squeeze tube gasket or gasket sealer was needed. In our mods section that covers changing out tstats there is mention of a rubber gasket but, no mention of reusing it or using any gasket sealer. I finally got my tsat in from JetPerformance (another long story and am sightly pissed off at them). Am quite capable of doing the mod but, what about this gasket situation? Has production advances eliminated the need for gaskets? Thanks for any help you may provide and if in any trouble in SE KY (am a transplanted buckeye) will be glad to try to help.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

well, i am the one who wrote that and did the mod myself with the same stat you have. i dont remember anykind of sealer or nothing. unbolt it and stick it in...BTW, excess fluid will come out so you might be a bit low afterwards.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks Hobie! Guess stuff has really changed that much. Some good, some bad, TSAT replacement is a snap. Eliminating top speed cut off $359.00 Tech III. Guess there is no market for my Craftsmen top of the line timing light, circa 1972 :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can reuse the rubber "o-ring like" seal that fits around the edge of the thermostat.
Don't over torque the hold down bolts if it leaks afterwards, just get a new seal.
You can get a new seal through NAPA, or your GM dealer. Should be about $3.

No sealer is needed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Check the housing for corrosion, mine had rust pits at the seal location. When I installed it I used a new seal & a light coating of RTV to keep out the elements.

P.S. I anticipated a fuel mileage drop but haven't noticed any...the truck now runs better than ever & has better oil pressure :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Just curious. How does changing your thermostat give you better oil pressure and why would you expect a drop in mpg?

Does changing to a 180 stat require the use of a HPPIII?

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Retep wrote:Just curious. How does changing your thermostat give you better oil pressure and why would you expect a drop in mpg?

Does changing to a 180 stat require the use of a HPPIII?

Pete
Cooler the engine the higher the oil pressure.

I can't answer the question about the drop mileage other than what others have said

No you don't need HPPIII
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb: Thanks one and all, Just got home from work and will throw it in after she cools off. Our monsoon season has temporarily halted.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Completed stat replacement in under 5 minutes (excluding time to start it up and run for 20 minutes checking for leaks). Didn't have to remove throttle assemble because I FINALLY found out what a poweraid TB spacer was good for besides adding a dash of color (red), it gave me clearance to toss a 10MM deepwell socket w/extension on the two bolts and it was easy. Will continue to monitor for leaks and there was no corrosion found on the inlet. Thanks once again to one and all!!!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...found out what a poweraid TB spacer was good for .... it gave me clearance...
IMO , well worth the price of the 1" TB spacer.
I have had my stat in and out so many times it is not even funny. I'd have probably left the stock stat in if it wasn't for that spacer :thumb:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

How well does the stat work with the HPP3?

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Brad wrote:How well does the stat work with the HPP3?
Nothing noticeable. It may help to reduce the tendancy to detonate/knock but nothing noteable, IMO.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

When I put in my t-stat there was a rubber gasket that went around the outside of the stock t-stat. I ordered a replacement gasket from summit with my stat but it didnt look like it would work so i reused the stock one that goes around the outside of it.
No leaks
and it seems like my car likes it (it told me so)

Oh and just a tip: If your car is mysteriously overheating and you cant stop it try spraying the fins of your radiator front and back with a garden hose to get the mud out from previous offroading trips :D
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]