Exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Coda
Crew
Crew

Exhaust

Post by Coda »

I already have a flowmaster 40 series muffler on my '03 cc but i cant hear the difference from stock. I want something low toned and somewhat loud. Has anyone put a glasspack muffler on an s10?
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

forgot to mention i also have the K&N intake so that should help deepen the tone too.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Exhaust

Post by a2b »

Coda wrote:I already have a flowmaster 40 series muffler on my '03 cc but i cant hear the difference from stock

hmmmm, you cant hear a difference at all?

turn down your radio :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I am pretty happy

Post by KCustom »

I am pretty happy with my JBA cat back but it is not very loud....I would be careful with putting on a glasspack you might get your back presure low enough to set off a "check engine" light....
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

yea maybe i should turn the metallica down a bit.. lol.... i can hear a difference but only when i really step on it. And what happens when i get my backpressure down that low?[/quote]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: I am pretty happy

Post by HenryJ »

KCustom wrote:....I would be careful with putting on a glasspack you might get your back presure low enough to set off a "check engine" light....
Nah, I wouldn't worry about that.
For one there are no sensors that measure back pressure. If there were a plugged cat would set the SES light, and that did not happen.

I am convinced that you can run without a muffler. It will probably hurt the bottom end torque, although I wouldn't count on that either.

I'd be curious to hear from Mark, who is running a cut-out. I'm betting that he has no set a code though.

I ran mine without pre-cat, cat or muffler. suprisingly it sounded pretty 8)
I only drove it for 15 miles or so , but set no codes, or pending codes.

In the fleet that I maintain, I have half a dozen O2 sensored rigs running glasspacks. They tend to last better on the rough terrain these guys travel daily. No problems with any of them.

Worst case with no backpressure, IMO, you may move the powerband upward and lose a little torque?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

so id be able to pass inspection with a glasspack? and also how do they sound?
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I ran no muffler for a week and it sent no codes.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Coda wrote:so id be able to pass inspection with a glasspack? and also how do they sound?
You would have to check your local laws regarding whether or no you would pass an inspection with something other than a direct replacement muffler.

As for how it would sound...that is hard to say. I don't like the sound of them on the 3.9L Dodges that we have in the fleet, but they serve their purpose.

You would have to get used to the idea that they will not last as long as a good muffler and will get louder as the packing goes away.

I feel that the depth of sound is related to the size of the pipe. Kind of like the difference between a tuba and a coronet. The same amount of air is passed, but the larger pipe has a deeper range.

I really like the sound and performance of the 3" catback w/deltaflow muffler.

The glasspack may be a little mellower tone, but I can't say for sure.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

i see i see.. i have a flowmaster 40 on there now.. you guys think the glasspack will be any louder?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

My cutout has pretty decent sound. It reverberates in the cab pretty loudly, but the sound is pretty deep at moderate throttle and fairly loud at WOT, but still not ricey. The tone is a little deeper because I have a hi-flow intake. It's not incredibly loud, but it could probably set off a sensitive car alarm in close quarters. Check out my website for pics and info on my setup.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Coda wrote:i see i see.. i have a flowmaster 40 on there now.. you guys think the glasspack will be any louder?
I depends on the size and length. A glasspack could actually be quieter.

If loud is what you're wanting check out Mark's (AZS-10Crew) cut-out. That would be the best option.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:
Coda wrote:i see i see.. i have a flowmaster 40 on there now.. you guys think the glasspack will be any louder?
I depends on the size and length. A glasspack could actually be quieter.

If loud is what you're wanting check out Mark's (AZS-10Crew) cut-out. That would be the best option.
And if you get the McCord Power Plate with it, it's totally selectable...stock exhaust for when you're cruising around with the little woman and open and loud with the push of a button.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

Does anyone know if Flowmaster makes an American Thunder dual exhaust kit for s10's?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Coda wrote:Does anyone know if Flowmaster makes an American Thunder dual exhaust kit for s10's?
I'm pretty sure that's a negative...not one that will fit on ours anyway. I think Gibson is the only one that makes anything close...and I don't even think that's duals.
[size=75]Mark
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

quiet?...good gravy!!!

do you possibly have the delta flow 40 series? it is quieter than the original 40 series. just hack that tail pipe off after the muffler and dump it. it's legal in TX anyways... i've only had compliments and comparisons to V8's with mine.

honestly, it's gotta be 90-100% as loud and deep ("manly") as most newer model chevy V8 full-sizes that have "duals" out the back, it's just not anywhere close to one with it's exhaust dumped, too. i've beeped several car alarms. i guess it's all about personal choice...good hunting.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Zr2_master

ZR2-S10

Post by Zr2_master »

Hello,
I have a ZR2-S10 2001. Im 17 and I dont have alot of money and I heard that the Glass Packs sounded okay on them... I had a 1987 with a 12 inch lift (3 was body 9 suspension) with duel Glass Packs, headers rebuilt 350 .30 over and the exhaust sounded awsome!! I was just wondering if it would even sound okay for the $20.00 fix that it would cost me. :)

Also I have the stock cdplayer that is nice but I was wondering if its posible to hook up my Amp and Sub to it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: ZR2-S10

Post by HenryJ »

Zr2_master wrote:Hello,
I have a ZR2-S10 2001. Im 17 and I dont have alot of money and I heard that the Glass Packs sounded okay on them... I had a 1987 with a ...350 ...the exhaust sounded awsome!! I was just wondering if it would even sound okay for the $20.00 fix that it would cost me.
Welcome!
I don't know if anyone has tried a glass pack yet. Glass packs do not las as long as some other muffler designs. The packing material tends to "go away". They do offer a nice mellow tone. Dual packs on a V-8 do sound good and are very hard to beat for a good sounding exhaust. For our V-6 there are some issues. For one the system uses a Y-pipe and runs to a single cat. The pipe is big. 2 1/2" pipe from headpipe at the Y, to the cat. The cat is 3" in/out reduced to 2 1/2" in/out.
My experience is that the $20 cheap glass packs may not be the size needed for a "bolt-on". Sure you can add adapters. That is going to add to the expense.

I am sorry , but there is just no way this will sound like a V-8. You might try a glass pack and see what you think?
Also I have the stock cdplayer that is nice but I was wondering if its posible to hook up my Amp and Sub to it?
This would probably be best asked in the audio forum.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Zr2_master

Thanx

Post by Zr2_master »

Thanx for all the help I think ima try the Glass Pack and see how it sounds... Also thanx for the help with the audio il post it in the audio section sorry!
superdad

Post by superdad »

This is the bolt in system from LMC Truck parts that I'm going to try next.

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew, Petwer, 2" body lift-Tbar crank-Air Shocks, B&M shift improver, B&M Trany Cooler, Cold Air Filter, Westin Safari Bar, Color Matched Reciver.[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

had a glasspack on my 88 s-10 with a 4.3L and it sounded nice :D my guess is that it will sound just as nice on a Crew. won't last as long as the "performance" mufflers will but that's a bonus ;) it'll get louder over time! if you get a glasspack with a Y welded on you can go duals 8)

and i agree with HJ, no matter what you do to these trucks...it's still a V6....not going to sound like a small block :cry:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]