exhaust without muffler

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

exhaust without muffler

Post by Justin »

I'm looking into replacing my exhaust and I am thinking of bypassing a muffler all-together and just putting a y pipe for the duals.. How would it sound? Or am I better off just replacing with a flowmaster or dynamax?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Personally I think they sound too "tinny" without a muffler, and the decelleration/compression backfires are just plain embarassing :oops:

It would definately be too noisy for me on the highway.

If it is what you want give it a try. You can always add Supertrapps, or cut and add mufflers later.

I had a flowmaster that was not quite enough, on my old truck with the HO 3.4L, it popped BAD decel/comp., so I added a Supertrapp. It sounds pretty nice :D

I'm running a pair 3" in/out 5" disk Supertrapps on the HenryJ, they make tuning easy for the street, and sound pretty nice. Although it is hard to make a supercharged BB chevy sound bad , IMO :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I ran no muffler with a resonator tip and it sounded so bad I cut the tip off the same day. Still sounded bad but did not look as ricey. If I was doing over I would run a single cherry bomb. Check our Warns videos for a sound check.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

i like the sound of my flowmaster 40 series turned down after the muffler. one of my friends always says it's "the only S-10 with a V8" (i think he's talking OEM, 'cause he knows people do conversions). he even told his remodeling buddy that it sounds like a V8 whether its idling or under acceleration. i'm pleased with the results for sure.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I was thinking about turning it down after the muffler but is it questionable for passing emissions? Second, I kind of like the look of dual pipes out the rear of the truck..
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I run mine open occasionally with the cutout open and it sounds OK. It's really loud though. It certainly doesn't sound like a weed eater like all those rice rockets do, but it's no 350 sound either. I would try it first with open and duals out the back. You can always have them splice in a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler later on.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

exhaust turndowns are legal here in TX as long as it is done past the cab. so really it's only legal on trucks, though i seen 5.0 mustangs and late-model z-28's with it. there's also a v-10 excursion with dumped exhaust. mine sounds good, just not that good :roll:
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I have a 40 dollar manual cut out on mine before the muffler. Every once in a while I take the cover off and it is reallllly loud but gets obnoxious after a while.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]