Little desk/ dvd player holder how to..

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Little desk/ dvd player holder how to..

Post by 2bunik »

:shock: Ok I bought this nifty wall mount.. which only holds 2.5 pounds.. they sell beefy ones that hold 8 pounds and are slightly larger but not to excessive..
model AB1-B
web site is
http://www.omnimount.com

the pictures I took below are extremely close up just so you get the idea of how to install it...
click here for pics
ok first is buy that kit then buy a piece of plexiglass. mine is 1/4 inch thick.. a little over kill but I think its perfect for the screws .. you cut it to whatever size you want the table to be.. I cut mine 7 1/2 inches by 5 1/2 inches cause that is the size of my dvd player...
step two..
angle the elbow thing so it sits just like mine.. it comes with the allen wrench and screws too..
step three.
take your dash plastic piece off. you do this by removing four screws on the drivers side .. just under the steering wheel.. then one in the center of your dash gauges pointing up.. If I remember correctly that should be it.. I think there are two more in the ashtray.. then just tug on the piece and it comes off. your E- brake must be on and the steering wheel to the lowest position and the truck in 1st gear.. so that the piece can squeeze out.. remember there are four. wire harness you have to remove..
step four.
If you look at the mounting points for your stereo this is where you want the screws for sturdy ness.. put the plastic elbow thing you bought in step one up to wherever you want it.. make sure wherever you are going to place it there are no wires or screws in your way.. you want to drill just between the stereo and a/c mount bolts.. ok so now mark it where you want it.. ENSURE YOU MARK THE STEREO AND A/C SO YOU CAN SEE YOUR MARKINGS AFTER YOU INSTALL YOUR DASH PIECE. I marked it with a toothpick and a dab of white out.. (it comes off)
step five..
put your dash piece back in (make sure you connect everything cause it wont be coming off again.) and look at your markings.. you will now drill with the bit provided through the dash piece and into your marked points.. .. you marked your stereo and a/c since you cant see if you are drilling in a bolt or something important.. those are your guides so you don't hit anything.. now use the screws provided and bolt the elbow piece into place ( personally I felt better drilling one hole then placing one screw in the drill another hole while the piece dangles there. just so you know the holes are in the right place..
step six..
elbow is now in place.. check if it is sturdy.. ok now place your plexi glass however you want it on the elbow. remember the elbow swivels ! your table should turn left and right take that into account before drilling holes in the plexi glass...
step seven.
drill the two holes into your plexi glass for the other mount.. and screw the mount into place.. now you should be able to snap the plexi glass top half onto the elbow that is mounted on your dash.. if you don't want the top of the table to turn or come off.. remember you have set screws to control all of this..
step eight
put everything else together

extra tips.
if you are cutting your plexi glass use a wood electric saw.. the one with the round wheel that carpenter use.(i don't remember what its called) its quick and easy.. I recommend having someone cut it so it looks real nice. pay careful attention to marking and drilling. you don't want alot of holes in your dash..

TOOLS YOU NEED
DRILL , deep well SOCKET AND RATCHET, SCREWDRIVER, MARKING DEVICE, SOME EXTRA DRILL BITS.

TOTAL TIME
TWO HOURS IF YOU don't CUT THE PLEXI GLASS YOURSELF. ADD 2 MORE FOR MEASURING AND CUTTING THE PLEXIGLASS.

:roll: :shock:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice write-up :thumb:

I added it to the mod page on the website :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

looks good, i used the same mounts to mount the surround speakers on my theater system
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher