need more power!

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

need more power!

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i have a 2003 sonoma crew cab and i am really not happy with the 3.42 gears (or is it 3.43? i dunno ) the power just isnt there it seems like everyone can pass me or beat me in a race. so because every one here has so much info i was wondering what are the best ways to boost power in my crew? cheaper would be better but anything would be good. what are ur opinions on a dual exaust? does it make a difference? k&N filters any good ect...any help would be great thx!
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

The K&N FIPK gives you excellent results, and a Flowmaster replacement muffler helps a little too. Don't get the Gibson exhaust for this truck. It sucks - I had one on mine for awhile.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

intake and exhaust can help performance, but from the way you talk, you want to feel alot more hp. yes, the 3.42's suck. from the way you talk, you need to supercharge your motor, drop 3.73's into the rear with a posi unit and keep the 29" tires for maximum torque...you will fly after that :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Or you could just race slower cars. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Getting rid of any extra weight couldn't hurt either. These Crewcabs weigh over 4000 pounds. That's a lot to move with that 4.3 V6.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You're going to have to re-gear to make the most of it.
The cheapest way is to change tire size. A 225/60-15 (26" diameter) will get your final ratio down where you need it with the 3.42:1 gears.

Or bite the bullet and spend a grand to have the ratio changed (3.73 for 29" or 4.10 for 31" )

You will see the biggest difference with this.

If you're wanting to make HP imporvements. Do the exaust first. Open it up and let it flow.

Then I'd "swiss" or cut the stock air box.

Next on the list would be investing in a programmer to rid yourself of those mushy shifts and put some premium in for power programming.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

thx guys. i think i will first do the exaust then k&n. Nother question where would i got a chip or programer? and im not eally good with this stuff so what does it do and how much does it cost? and is it easy to install your self or will i need to take it to a shop?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bubaloo1983 wrote:thx guys. i think i will first do the exaust then k&n. Nother question where would i got a chip or programer? and im not eally good with this stuff so what does it do and how much does it cost? and is it easy to install your self or will i need to take it to a shop?
Do a search for Hypertech Power Programmer III or Hypertech PPIII, here (seems like there was information on a GP, might be over though).
And check out their website : Hypertech
Might be worth looking at the programmer from Superchips too.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

did someone say chevy small block? :P Honestly that corvette engine someone found on ebay a while back would be really nice.. then reality strikes. :poke:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I want a Northstar V8 300HP.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

LS1 would be nice too. :)

I think MCT still has their group purchase going on the HPPIII's.

MCT
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:I want a Northstar V8 300HP.

Brad
Seen the newest Hot Rod mag.?

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

bubaloo1983 wrote:thx guys. i think i will first do the exaust then k&n. Nother question where would i got a chip or programer? and im not eally good with this stuff so what does it do and how much does it cost? and is it easy to install your self or will i need to take it to a shop?
sounds like you want power with less money. the cheapest way to get hte MOST power is smaller tires. go to 26's and lower your truck. lowering if basically a free mod. that will do more for you truck than changing intake and out take and HP3. but do them all together, then you have ALOT more power
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

thx for all your help guys...i think i have thought about what im going to do...i want to geta westers chip for my truck...from what i have heard the performance is really good. however i havent heard much about them in the little trucks. so my question is how well do they perform with the 4.3? is it worth the 400 bucks over say other performace products? any thoughts would be great. thx laterz
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bubaloo1983 wrote:...i think i have thought about what im going to do...i want to geta westers chip for my truck...

Never heard of them, are you sure that it is for the OBDII generation of trucks?

Our chips are programmable, not necessarily replaceable. Although the PCM can be sent off and reprogrammed , or replaced.

IMO, don't expect big gains from just a chip, or programming. Take another look at the HPPIII, it is money better spent IMO. At least if you're not impressed there is always someone who will buy it and you can recoup some of , if not all of the cost.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:
bubaloo1983 wrote:...i think i have thought about what im going to do...i want to geta westers chip for my truck...

Never heard of them, are you sure that it is for the OBDII generation of trucks?

Our chips are programmable, not necessarily replaceable. Although the PCM can be sent off and reprogrammed , or replaced.

IMO, don't expect big gains from just a chip, or programming. Take another look at the HPPIII, it is money better spent IMO. At least if you're not impressed there is always someone who will buy it and you can recoup some of , if not all of the cost.
EDIT: Ok I went to the website : [url=http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm]Westers chip[/url]

They are offering reflashed PCM's (not chips)
I can not say , but I'm sure that they have programmed for some gains. $395 is quite a bit of money each time you decide that premium fuel is too expensive at the time, or a switch in tire size is needed. What happens if you decide to make some modifications, or just want to go back to stock and need to reprogram the PCM again? Another $395.

There is way more flexablility in a programmer. If you are a die hard and want ultimate adjustability , do what they did and buy a copy of LS1 Edit to flash the PCM yourself.

I'll say it again Do not expect big performance gains by reflashing the PCM. Big performance requires internal modifications. If you want big gains supercharge, turbo, or go V-8.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Flash

Post by snowsurfer »

Just wondering where's best/reasonable place for a flash? I have an 03' with Powerdyne 9lb, msd6btm, flowmaster, 190 stat . Only place I know is Bill at Mach, a little $$$$$... Anyone one know of others??
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Supercharge it...

Post by KCustom »

I love my Powerdyne supercharger...it made a big difference in my performance.
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...