This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Firmer Shifts-A4L60E...Free Mod!!!

Post by HenryJ »

I haven't tried this , and forgot I still had the information-
Put this one in the free mod section...While talking to a friend of mine about my tranny problems he advised me to change the fluid and there is a solenoid on the back of the passenger side that has an electrical connector on it. Take the connector off, and there is a cap that has three bolts on it right behind the solenoid remove this but be careful and dont flip it over (components may fall out, bad thing) take a star head socket (torx?) and tighten the screw in the middle of the solenoid only about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, but make sure not to tighten any more than that or it could cause some tranny problems.
Put everything back on and you will notice a big difference in your shifts. Turn a little and you tell a big difference, turn a little less that 1/4 turn and it'll bark'em pretty good when the gears change. I did mine about 1/8 turn and it's right on the edge of breaking the tires loose. I think I need some subframe connectors now!
Can't remember where I found this?
I do find it hard to pass on a free mod ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hmmm. I've been debating on changing my own tranny fluid or not. Now I guess I need to do it myself! :evil:

Edit: Then again, maybe I'll let someone else try this one first! Right now, my crew is all I have to drive.
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I think Camaro/Firebird people call this the Corvette Servo mod???

Not sure, but that's what it sounds like.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

marks10cc wrote:I think Camaro/Firebird people call this the Corvette Servo mod???

Not sure, but that's what it sounds like.
The Corvette Servo is a different thing. That requires replacing the servo in the tranny with one from a Vette. Not a free mod. And not one I'd do IMHO. It caused serious problems in my Camaro. Cost me $1000 total to get everything working right again.

Not sure what this free mod does. I'd consult a tranny shop first to see what you're actually changing by turning the little screw thing.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yeah, it sounded good for a second there, but then after I thought about it a bit more....

It would be just my luck this would fry my tranny. And my luck hasn't been too good lately.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'm not saying this mod isn't doable. But I'd definitely seek advice from an expert first.

I can however say that the servo mod didn't work for me on my Camaro. But that's a different thing than this free mod, so who knows.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Oh, it might work really great. I just can't afford to be the Guinea Pig this time around, otherwise, I'd be in it already.

Not to get off the subject but one of the really bad things about working in the same job as your spouse is the potential of layoffs and closings. Both my wife and I found out we are both out of a job the end of March so any more mods or other projects are definitely on hold for a while. :(
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

GaryH wrote:Not to get off the subject but one of the really bad things about working in the same job as your spouse is the potential of layoffs and closings. Both my wife and I found out we are both out of a job the end of March so any more mods or other projects are definitely on hold for a while. :(
That sucks :( I hope you and your spouse both land on your feet. Good luck.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Sorry... I wasn't clear. I meant that turning that screw is like installing a vette servo. I did a quick search on the Camaro/Firebird forums over at gmcars, but came up empty. I remember someone saying that you could immitate the vette servo by doing this mod. I never did anything like that on my Camaro either, I went to Raptor for pieces and parts to strengthen my tranny. I found this current link for some of the stuff I put in, http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E.htm
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

If you want info on the Vette servo, go to www.camaroz28.com or www.ls1.com Searches on those should find Vette servo info for you.
[size=75]Mark
Matt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Matt »

the torx mod, without getting under my truck, I believe is the vacuum modulator. Big words, but as I understand just makes the shifts softer.
01redzr2

Post by 01redzr2 »

Old thread I know, but it was on page 1 and I'm new so I thought I'd add my opinion. The vette servo is just a stronger servo that holds the 3-4 bands (I think) better. I know all newer f-bodies had them in the 4l60e's. As for the vacuum modulator mentioned above. It sounds like it does the same thing as adjusting the vacuum modulator on older transmissions, but being computer controlled these trans don't have them. It does sound like it does the same thing though. . . later firmer shifts.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

01redzr2 wrote:Old thread I know, but it was on page 1 and I'm new so I thought I'd add my opinion. The vette servo is just a stronger servo that holds the 3-4 bands (I think) better. I know all newer f-bodies had them in the 4l60e's. As for the vacuum modulator mentioned above. It sounds like it does the same thing as adjusting the vacuum modulator on older transmissions, but being computer controlled these trans don't have them. It does sound like it does the same thing though. . . later firmer shifts.
Actually, the vette servo mod mentioned elsewhere on this site does the 1-2 shift. I got the kit although I have yet to install it. After looking under my truck to see what was involved, I decided to put it off for a rainy day, or I should say rainy week! It's a bear on a non-lifted truck. There is another kit that does the 3-4 shift for towing. I saw it once but now I can't remember where (sorry guys).