Cooling issues discussion-

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ExMoparMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cooling issues discussion-

Post by ExMoparMan »

Just a thought on this, but I was thinking that everyone that has cooling concerns also has a skid plate package on their crews. Last summer I was in stop and go traffic after exiting the highway with the air on and no problems, with air temp at 110 degrees and 65% humidity. Is it possible that with the skid plates on the engine, tranny cant radiate their heat off forcing the radiator to work on overload to keep things cool? BTW I don't have skid plates on yet!

Split this topic so the E-fan thread didn't get too far off topic ;) -HJ
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

ExMoparMan wrote:Just a thought on this, but I was thinking that everyone that has cooling concerns also has a skid plate package on their crews. Last summer I was in stop and go traffic after exiting the highway with the air on and no problems, with air temp at 110 degrees and 65% humidity. Is it possible that with the skid plates on the engine, tranny cant radiate their heat off forcing the radiator to work on overload to keep things cool? BTW I don't have skid plates on yet!
But you probably still have the plastic skid on the front that "protects" the oil filter. That blocks the same amount of air as the metal skid plate does. Also...probably 90% of the radiator is above that skid plate and gets direct air through the grille, so the skid plate should not be a concern.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

ExMoparMan wrote:Just a thought on this, but I was thinking that everyone that has cooling concerns also has a skid plate package on their crews. Last summer I was in stop and go traffic after exiting the highway with the air on and no problems, with air temp at 110 degrees and 65% humidity. Is it possible that with the skid plates on the engine, tranny cant radiate their heat off forcing the radiator to work on overload to keep things cool? BTW I don't have skid plates on yet!
Having no skid plates would help a bit as less air would be trapped in the engine compartment. I think the best way to allow an efan to work would be to get a 185 or 190* t-stat and have the efan come on at about 170*. It seems to work for most of the installs I have done.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:...s10's do allot of you have the lower degree t-stat or running stock which is 195, I know that our trucks are suppose to run that warm but the cooler the engine the more fuel it gets which inturns gives more HP :wink:
At least for the 2001 PCM , a lower temp T-stat is not an option. With the stock radiator you can get away with running the Jet 180* stat, but no way the Hypertech 160* will work . SES everytime :!:
When I was running the stock radiator and 180* stat, I still ran into problems with excessive heat. Granted it was record heat 105+ and single digit humidity, but annoying all the same.
ExMoparMan wrote:Just a thought on this, but I was thinking that everyone that has cooling concerns also has a skid plate package on their crews.
Good observation and a possibility, however I haven't had any problems since installing the larger radiator.
I'm convinced that the stock cooling system capacity is just barely suffecient for these.
Some things that I have done to aid cooling-Larger capacity radiator, Cowl induction hood, aux. trans cooler, BL (I know it sounds crazy, but it does allow more room for the air to exit between the body and drive train), plastic fillers for fan shroud after BL, Radiant heat barrier forintake heat shield, trimmed around front plate to allow more flow around top half of plate.

For reducing passenger compartment heat- Heater control valve, radiant heat barrier insulation under headliner, insulated AC dehydrator

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ExMoparMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ExMoparMan »

Thats true about the front cover but I have seen some after market ones that have air louvers or air passages in them, ours don't but with only the front plate on air still moves around between the frame taking away heat. I was also wondering if there is room to install air ducts around the front cover to force cool air through the tunnel that the skid plates form would help dissipate the heat the engine & tranny radiates :?: I just thought boxing in the frame like a full set of skid plates do might be some of the problem :D Maybe some NASCAR brake ducts would work :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ExMoparMan wrote:Thats true about the front cover but I have seen some after market ones that have air louvers or air passages in them, ours don't but with only the front plate on air still moves around between the frame taking away heat. I was also wondering if there is room to install air ducts around the front cover to force cool air through the tunnel that the skid plates form would help dissipate the heat the engine & tranny radiates
The aftermarket fronts might aid in cooling. If that is true then the GMC should cool better too , since it has more of the front exposed to the radiator? I have friends with Hyriders who have the same cooling problems, which leads me right back to it not being an airflow problem, but instead a radiator problem.
Take your upper fan shroud loose some time and take a look at the tiny core-
There was no doubt in my mind where the problem was after taking a look at the stock core.
I just thought boxing in the frame like a full set of skid plates do might be some of the problem
I don't really think it causes a problem, and the trans is not shielded. Only the front diff. , engine and transfercase. The trans is completely exposed from just in front of the Y-pipe to the rear mount.
Maybe some NASCAR brake ducts would work
Yea, those would be cool until they filled with mud ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

What brand's that new radiator? Was it drop-in?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

NTXCrew wrote:What brand's that new radiator? Was it drop-in?
All the info is in this thread: Radiator

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Dragonmaster wrote:
Having no skid plates would help a bit as less air would be trapped in the engine compartment. I think the best way to allow an efan to work would be to get a 185 or 190* t-stat and have the efan come on at about 170*. It seems to work for most of the installs I have done.
I dont have skid plates, and have the most space between the ground and motor for air to cool her down, and the motor still reads 210 degrees.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]