HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Spark plugs

Post by HenryJ »

Anybody try these?
Bosch Platinum +4

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I used those in the Dodge Dakota I used to have. They are supposed to be good for 100k miles. I'll probably get those after I get my 100k out of my stock spark plugs . :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

not worth the money, electricity always takes the path of least resistance therefore it will only ever fire on one of those electrodes, which is the same as getting a single electrode plug.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Dragonmaster wrote:not worth the money, electricity always takes the path of least resistance therefore it will only ever fire on one of those electrodes, which is the same as getting a single electrode plug.
I know what you're saying, but when that one is worn out, it will choose the next one for less resistance of a path. Since there is 4, that means 4x normal life. Sounds good anyhow, :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

quickbiker wrote:
Dragonmaster wrote:not worth the money, electricity always takes the path of least resistance therefore it will only ever fire on one of those electrodes, which is the same as getting a single electrode plug.
I know what you're saying, but when that one is worn out, it will choose the next one for less resistance of a path. Since there is 4, that means 4x normal life. Sounds good anyhow, :lol:
In theory that works, but in real life the tip will be fried before one of the electrodes wears out.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have those in my Impala and when I put them in I noticed a better idle and a little more power. My stock Impala plugs are the same style platinum plugs as in the S10. IMO these plugs would work best with a CD ignition because the multiple sparks would have several paths to take creating a firestorm. Also by having the electrodes around the side the spark is more exposed to the air fuel mixture which makes it easier to ignite, which would probably explain why my car idled better. I'm going to wait until I have at least 50k miles on the CC before I give them a shot, partly because they are way more expensive and the stock plugs aren't that bad.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lots of good comments, I too wondered if the 4 ground electrodes were really over kill, but having several options for path of least resistance seems like a good thing.

It also seems that the angle of spark would enhance the progression of the flame front, not to mention have less quenching than some designs.
maybe the Bosch Platinum 2 would be as good a choice?

What about the Irridium plugs? Less quench and better characteristics than platinum.
NGK "IX" irridium plugs

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Plugs

Post by snowsurfer »

Since you're talking plugs, has anyone found a tool for plug removal on the center plug drivers side?????
Getting to it is a BEAR!!!
I have a special swivel socket from snap on that I used on previous yrs S10's but the crews seem even tighter!!!!
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I put a set of these in my Camaro about 3-4 years ago. I remember the idle being much smoother, but my 1/4 mile times suffered by almost a whole second. Recently then after, I saw an article in Consumer Reports (June of '99) that tested the Bosch Platinum +4's against Champion Platinums and NGK Platinums in a Honda Civic SI. The Bosch produced the lowest horsepower, but the article mentioned that 'cold idle' was much smoother with them than others.

It makes sense, actually. With 4 ground points, even though the spark will travel along the path of least resistance, the other 3 will be pulling some power (not enough to cause a spark) from the electrode. Albeit, the spark from the Bosch +4 will be more even and longer, it does not carry the same amount of heat. The other spark plugs have a hotter spark, so they ignite a more violent explosion than the Bosch's even explosion.

A few ponies for a smoother idle? May be worth it. But for performance enthusiasts, a MSD6a ignition, Blaster coil, and greater gap spark plug would most likely be the best bet.

Irridium claims to produce the hottest spark out there. They're too expensive for me, but I'd love to know if that's true or not. It may be the future of spark plugs.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

marks10cc wrote:I put a set of these in my Camaro about 3-4 years ago. I remember the idle being much smoother, but my 1/4 mile times suffered by almost a whole second. Recently then after, I saw an article in Consumer Reports (June of '99) that tested the Bosch Platinum +4's against Champion Platinums and NGK Platinums in a Honda Civic SI. The Bosch produced the lowest horsepower, but the article mentioned that 'cold idle' was much smoother with them than others.

It makes sense, actually. With 4 ground points, even though the spark will travel along the path of least resistance, the other 3 will be pulling some power (not enough to cause a spark) from the electrode. Albeit, the spark from the Bosch +4 will be more even and longer, it does not carry the same amount of heat. The other spark plugs have a hotter spark, so they ignite a more violent explosion than the Bosch's even explosion.

A few ponies for a smoother idle? May be worth it. But for performance enthusiasts, a MSD6a ignition, Blaster coil, and greater gap spark plug would most likely be the best bet.

Irridium claims to produce the hottest spark out there. They're too expensive for me, but I'd love to know if that's true or not. It may be the future of spark plugs.
Huh, makes sense. Now you talked me out of getting them. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For any who might be interested in trying the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs-
I'd wait!
I picked up a slight surge at highway cruise speeds. It seems to raise and lower about +/-100 rpm.

I'm not sure if it is related to the change in plugs yet, but that is the only change that I have made since I noticed this phenomenon.

Mileage seems to be pretty close to the same as before. It was actually about .7 mpg less than usual, but the cold , inclimate weather and some four-low offroading , accounts for that much of a difference.

Rumor has it that people have experienced a similar "surging" after changing to aftermarket plug wires. I do not think that is the case since I had not noticed this prior to the change in plugs.
Next step is to put the stock plugs back in and see if the surge is still there. If that is the case I will be seeing how good that money back guarantee is on Bosch plugs :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Thanks for the info
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Spark plugs

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:Anybody try these?
Bosch Platinum +4
Ok, so now I've tried these ^
Not going there again :( they are a little smoother at idle, but lack throttle response. That wasn't all bad since the CFM throttle blade made the accelerator a little too touchy.
Other problems surfaced though. A 100-200 rpm "surge" was noticeable at cruise speeds, and mileage was slightly worse (.5 mpg) during the testing of these plugs.
Overall they made the engine feel "dull", not as snappy as the stock plugs.
The Bosch money back guarantee is great! No problems getting my money back! I'm not saying that these are bad plugs , just that they did not perform well for my application.

Next plugs are NGK Irridium's -
ImageImage
NGK wrote:"NGK iridium plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. The iridium center electrode is both stronger and harder than platinum. This allows NGK engineers to design an ultra-fine (0.6mm)center electrode reducing the voltage requirement for spark. This allows for a brighter, stronger spark from your existing ignition system. The ground electrode has a tapered cut at the firing end which reduces quenching for better flame core growth and increased ignitability. The combination of fine wire center electrode and tapered cut ground will increase performance, improve acceleration, and fuel efficiency."
Well, we will see :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Those bosch's are the same ones I used in my Dodge Dakota I had before. I liked them, didn't notice any difference. I just liked that I could wait to 100k miles. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Those bosch's are the same ones I used in my Dodge Dakota I had before. I liked them, didn't notice any difference. I just liked that I could wait to 100k miles. :D
I would not recommend the Bosch +4 for our trucks. JMO.

Irridium has some nice properties though-
and should out perform platinum plugs.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

How much did you pick them up for? I'm sure they will dominate the platinums... but are they expensive?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

marks10cc wrote:How much did you pick them up for? I'm sure they will dominate the platinums... but are they expensive?
Very expensive! $8.40 ea. :shock:

I've seen them for $6.50 or less online, but didn't want any hassle with returning them , so I bought local :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For those of you who are changing sparkplugs-
Try using a 3/8 drive wobble extension to clear the steering shaft on the left (driverside) center sparkplug.

You should be able to get a set of three for under $20 (try your local parts/tool store) I picked up a six inch "Evercraft" (their budget line) 3/8 drive wobble extension at NAPA for $4.99.

They are not my most used tools in the box ,but work great for clearing the steering shaft to get that middle plug out.

The right front plug is easiest using a universal to clear the shock tower.

Just finished installing the NGK Irridium plugs. This is the third time changing plugs in the last thirty days, hope these work out :roll: I must say that I am getting pretty fast now though.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

A swivle is to big to do that I assume?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:A swivle is to big to do that I assume?
Yes, a "swivel" or universal is too big (diameter and length) and doesn't clear the steering shaft.
You can also use an open ended wrench on the exterior hex portion of the sparkplug socket, or a Tee-handled sparkplug socket wrench.

I'd still say the wobble extension is the best way to go.

The wobble extension that I have does not allow enough degrees of offset to work well on the RF plug though, so the universal is needed there.

Bear in mind that I do have a body lift allowing a little more room. Those who are still stock, may have a tougher time :evil:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Dag nabbit. One of the few tools I don't have. And if anybody has ever done it without the BL, let us know what ya used.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

snowsurfer

Post by snowsurfer »

wiggle still not enough room, Snap on also makes a special socket with the swivel built in at a tune of 25.00... Still very tight.
End up using socked with open end wrench!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote: Next plugs are NGK Irridium's -
Well, we will see :D
So far they are superior to both the Bosch Plat. +4 (poor performer) and the stock Plat. AC's.
That surge that I mentioned earlier, was slightly noticeable when I returned to the stock plugs (34k), but disappeared completely when I started using the NGK Irridium's.
It seems to be slightly better performing, throttle response is good and pulls hard through out.
I'm still in the process of checking mileage, but so far ,so good....stay tuned.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

NGK's

Post by snowsurfer »

I've been using the NGK's and I really like it's performance.. NGK's are very popular here in Hawaii.
Anyone found a good answer as to what tool to use for sparkplug removal???
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I don't know if I'd use those NGK's. I've seen those things burn holes in pistons. The kind with the skin electrode are "hot plugs". That's what we called them in the old days anyhow. NGK's been making them for years.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:I don't know if I'd use those NGK's. I've seen those things burn holes in pistons. The kind with the skin electrode are "hot plugs". That's what we called them in the old days anyhow. NGK's been making them for years.
It is true that "too hot a plug" can lead to -hot spots>detonation>piston damage-
These are the same heat range as the Bosch Plat. +4 and the stock AC Delco plugs.
No worries there.

Now the Irridium would allow use of an extremely hotter plug in a situation where a normal design would fail.

Hopefully gains are seen due to the reduced quench and less resistance.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

NGK "IX" irridium plugs are in and yes the middle driver side is a PITA but not to bad with a swivel socket,Taylor 8mm wires should be here shortly.As far as the wells gold cap cant find it anywhere .
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:58 am
So far they are superior to both the Bosch Plat. +4 (poor performer) and the stock Plat. AC's.
That surge that I mentioned earlier, was slightly noticeable when I returned to the stock plugs (34k), but disappeared completely when I started using the NGK Irridium's.
It seems to be slightly better performing, throttle response is good and pulls hard through out.
I'm still in the process of checking mileage, but so far ,so good....stay tuned.
How 'bout an update on these? I'm about ready for a new set of plugs myself.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I wish I could get a good closeup of my old plugs with 75000 miles on them there was alot of build up of 3or 4 of them the worst plugs came from the pass. side
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:...How 'bout an update on these?
I would buy them again.

The price is a little hard to swallow , but they are performing pretty good.
I am running the MSD , so I'm sure to be harder on plugs than stock would be. They have about 16,000 miles on them now. There is a little wear to the outer electrode. Without a good cleaning I would have to estimate 25% of the serviceable life is gone now.
They still fire at the first revolution, and idle smooth.
Mileage has been in the range I would call normal, for my truck.

Overall, the stock AC Delco platinum plugs might perform adequately, but I would say they might last only half as long as the NGK iridium plugs.

If you plan to keep your truck for at least another three years, then I would say they are worth the investment. If you're not sure, and don't mind changing plugs sooner, then opt for the iridiums.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

hey i was just cruising around stylin concepts website and found these spark plugs that i've never heard of
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.asp ... ilyID=1602

"More power on less gas with improved emissions - E3 performance spark plugs

Up to 13% better fuel economy than standard replacement plugs.
Increase horsepower as much as 12%.
Reduce emissions up to 58% over the life of the plug.
5 year/100,000 mile warranty - against wear, fouling and defects."

anybody try these? REALLY expensive :?
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

they look like the bosch plugs
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Alright. I really want to change my plugs and wires but I don't know about doing it myself! How in the world did you guys get to those things????? :?: :shock: I did the BL on my truck myself but everything was fairly easy to get to. I don't know if I can tackle this one! You would think that plugs & wires would be a piece of cake, but I think this job is nuts! How are you guys getting these things replaced?
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

And Jeff024, what are your thoughts on the NGK's & Taylors? I think that's what I'm wanting. Notice any differences?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pauleo wrote:...How are you guys getting these things replaced?
Lift that rubber flap in the inner fender well...there they are! Get a 6" wobble extension for your sparkplug socket and go to work!

You can do it , if Jeff can :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the NGKs and Taylors seem to be a great match I have gained almost 1 1/2 MPG. the plugs are easy its the damn plug holders I had trouble with but once I got the 1st 1 off the rest were easy.start on the driverside middle plug once you get that 1 the rest are a piece of cake.
now I need to order the cap and rotor and clean the throttle body
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

HenryJ wrote:
Pauleo wrote:...How are you guys getting these things replaced?
Lift that rubber flap in the inner fender well...there they are! Get a 6" wobble extension for your sparkplug socket and go to work!

You can do it , if Jeff can :lol:

not much I cant do if I put my mind to it :)
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I finally got around to my 100,000 mile tune up at just over 75,000 miles.

The plugs were visibly worn and had a reasonable amount of carbon build up but not in terrible shape. Probably could have run them a few thousand miles more.

The cap and rotor were in pretty good shape too. A little less worn than the plugs and probably would have been ok to go the full 100k but since I had it all apart, I threw in replacements anyway.

The wires on the otherhand were worn thru and exposing bare wire in several places. Particularly on the wire to the coil. This one was routed under the other wires from the cap and resting on the manifold. So, on reinstall I routed over the other three plug wires.

I guess that 2" body lift changes the angle of the steering shaft pretty dramaticly. I wasn't able to get anywhere near that center plug with a wobble extension. I had to put the wheel back on and run to the store with 5 new plugs and one old to get one of these:

It wasn't easy but, I was able to work it up in there from under the steering shaft and then snap in a 10" extension bar. Wound up getting all jammed up and had to wiggle it out with my finger tips. Did a number on the plug threads but the new one screwed right in. So, I guess the threads in the head are alright.

Also, a tip on the distributer cap screws. I turned the old screws in and out of the threaded holes a few times to loosen up the thread lock and then drove in the new screws provided with the replacement cap. (new screws had a little bit deeper thread and went in easily but snug.)

For others questioning the need to do tune-up, I'd say check out the wires. They probably need replacing but the plugs, cap and rotor should last the 100k miles advertised.

btw, I went with the bosch platinum 2 plugs. I'll let ya know how they work out after a little more driving but, it sure does idle smooth.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is interesting that you found it possible to use a universal joint to remove the #3 spark plug. I too have the 2" BL and that didn't work for me.

Did you oblong the steering column holes and tip the column down to prevent bind in the steering shaft? I may have done that, now that I think about it?

I am told that we are lucky. Those without a BL may have to remove the steering shaft for access to that plug.

Let us know how those plugs work out. Watch for that "surge" at cruise speeds.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

No body lift here. I'm just really good :mrgreen:

Yeah, I had to turn the wheel back and forth a bit to find the widest spot. They put that joint in just the right place.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:No body lift here.
That explains it, Sorry I thought you had a bodylift.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Well, I've put a couple hundred miles on these plugs and have not experienced any of the "surging" HJ described. I've tried running at 65-75 mph with and without cruise control and with and without AC and no hint of surging. Idles very smooth, accellerates even smoother, and I suspect fuel economy has been improved. I'm well above half full with about 135 miles since last fill up. I'll post an update in a day or two when I fill up again.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

For the money conscious CC owner out there, would replacing the plugs with AC Delco's & the wires with ANY 8mm wires be effective?? I realize that the stock 7mm wires were not adequate to begin with. So switching to 8mm with new plugs of any kind SHOULD make a difference. Right?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

The bosch platinum 2 plugs I used were only $3.99 each. Also, I ordered 8mm bosch wires but got 7mm. I didn't realize the error until I got to the last wire. I decided to leave them on and see how it goes. I mean the stock 7mm lasted this long... why shouldn't the replacements?

If there's a sharp decline in performance, I'll know to look at the wires first.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Got my first fillup lest night and there was about 3/4 mile per gallon increase. Can't say for sure yet as this tank was run under ideal condisions (all highway back and forth to work) but it looks good so far. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ Posted: 03 Jan 2004 wrote:...Next plugs are NGK Irridium's - we will see
HenryJ Posted 25 Jul 2005 wrote:
barch97 wrote:...How 'bout an update on these?
I would buy them again.

The price is a little hard to swallow , but they are performing pretty good.
I am running the MSD , so I'm sure to be harder on plugs than stock would be. They have about 16,000 miles on them now. There is a little wear to the outer electrode. Without a good cleaning I would have to estimate 25% of the serviceable life is gone now.
They still fire at the first revolution, and idle smooth.
Mileage has been in the range I would call normal, for my truck.

Overall, the stock AC Delco platinum plugs might perform adequately, but I would say they might last only half as long as the NGK iridium plugs.
Another update.

The Irridium plugs are done! Half the upper electrode is gone The gap is out to .078". That is .018" bigger than stock.
That was two years ten months and probably about 30-35k miles. No even close to what I had hoped for. Re-gapped they may have gone longer, but I won't run them that far. 50% of the upper electrode is gone now. The wear seems to have accelerated from the last check. Performance had dropped a little and these may have been a contributing factor.

I have no doubt that the MSD could be a contributing factor here. I am back to the stock AC Delco plugs again. I think I will run them out. My concerns about the longevity of the platinum plugs may have been premature. The Irridium center electrode did hold up, but the outer electrode did not. For the cost, perhaps the less expensive AC Delco plugs may be a better choice? Time will tell.

Sorry to have to "back peddle" on the NGK Irridium plugs, but I just can't stand behind them if they will not go 60,000 miles with a MSD. The cost just does not justify it.

I still think they are a good performance choice. They do perform well and are trouble free. All the information looked good. Lower resistance, less shadow. Boy I wish they had held up better.

Well I will finish out the stock plugs and determine a life span for them. :(

Right now I will have to agree with the huge number of people who recommend staying with the stock AC Delco plugs.

Sheez, eating crow again! :oops:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, luckily when I had all that hard to start, stalling, rough idling BS a while back, the first thing I bought was a set of the ACDelcos to carry with me. Hopefully, I'll make it to spring before I need to change them :D Between no longer being able to just turn the wheel to get at the plugs I'll (because of the 33s) need to remove them and Jigg's gap guards (may guard a little too well :lol: ) I'm dreading the next plug change. :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I don't think I will ever use the NGK Iridiums in my CC again since I had so many problems, however the Iridiums are working real nice in my SS with an MSD digital 6 ignition firing them. :D My CC seems to run just fine with the stock Delco platinums, but I'm one of those people who are always looking for an increase in performance, reliability, and fuel economy. :roll: When it's time for new plugs in my CC I think I will try some AC Delco Rapid Fire Platinums or the newer Autolite Iridium/Platinum Xtreme Performance plugs. I've used the Rapid Fires before in some older small block Chevy's with good results, but I really like the idea of an iridium/platinum combo plug also. :D

AC Delco Rapid Fire

Autolite XP

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did jack up the front end to the point just before the tire lifted.
I used a 3/8" drive 3" wobble extension + 6" wobble extension + 5/8" spark plug socket and ratchet. That did all the plugs except #2. The shock tower is in the way there. For that one I used a 12" extension + universal + 5/8" spark plug socket and ratchet.

The inner fender skirts on mine are getting a little stiff with age, but it was not too bad.

I would say the plugs won't strand you, but I would check them by 30k to see how long you have left.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Since I probably don't have 10K on the NGKs, I'll chill a little :lol: I'm investing in a firm that has been testing and developing PFDs for my little friends though :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

Drivers side center plug replacement went easy after I made a tool for it. I have just about every extension and wobble adaptor made. None are as easy to use. I used a thinwall plug socket that has a 19 mm nut style head. I then took a cheap (Taiwan) 19 mm open end wrench and bent it in a 90*. It works just like a distributor wrench. Going in through the wheal well and up under the header the wrench has room to swing.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am on a quest for a suitable replacement plug. The NGK Irridium plugs may indeed have made a bigger difference that I thought. Since going back to the stock spark plugs my mileage has dropped 1-1.5 mpg.
I have cleaned the MAFS, air cleaner, and made a switch to Castrol syntec oil in hopes of improving. The second tank of fuel showed no improvement.
The only change I can equate with the drop, was the return to the stock spark plugs.
It could be a coincidence?
Winter mileage is not always the best. That I do understand, but I know my truck really well and something is going on.

I think I may try the Autolite XP605. It is marketed as an "Xtreme Performance" , Irridium enhanced sparkplug. The price is better than most of the irridium plugs, as is availability. I wanted to check out the ND (Nippon Denso) irridium plugs, but didn't find enough information and no one that sells them locally.
I ordered a set of the Autolite Irridiums to check out. They should arrive tomorrow.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Brule, do they oxygenate the gas up there in the winter?
California does and I always get worse gas mileage in the winter. :roll:
I believe they add oxygen to the gas to help it burn better when the temps are down and to lower emissions, but it doesn't seem to work all that great considering my mileage is always worse in winter. :?:
As we all know the colder an engine is at start up the more gas it will use to reach operating temperature. :wink:
The Autolite XP's seem like a good plug and are the same ones I was referring to above.
The combination of iridium and platinum seems like a great idea since both have proven to be very effective in reducing electrical resistance and maintaining long life. :D
I believe you are the first one here to try these, so let us know how they work out! :D

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Some info about the XP's

The Autolite XP "Xtreme Performance" spark plugs feature an iridium-enhanced .6mm fine-wire center electrode design and patented platinum side wire technology. They will provide better overall durability and a more focused ignition to produce higher ignitability and improved performance. The Autolite XP Xtreme Performance spark plugs use a nickel plated shell and multi-rib insulator. Whether you have a high performance street car, race car, or daily driver, these Autolite XP Xtreme Performance spark plugs will give you the power and consistency you have been looking for.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:Brule, do they oxygenate the gas up there in the winter?
No.
I am fairly sure the change of plugs was when the difference began.
A new set will tell the tale , I hope.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The plugs showed up today, and are what I was looking for :mg:

Part number XP605 Autolite xtreme performance sparkplug - Cost: $5.88 each , $35.28 for a set of six.

They have a button on the upper electrode. This is something that the NGK plugs lack and may have been why the upper electrodes wore prematurely.

I will install the set today and see how they work. Current mileage 66,134 mi.

When compared to the stock AC Delco 41-932 plugs they look very similar. There are some improvements that look good. The insulator is ribbed on the Autolite plug. This may help to promote a better seal at the sparkplug boot. The outer electrode is tapered. This would reduce the shadowing of the spark and perhaps even reduce the sharp points that can act as sources for pre-igintion hot spots.

If I were to design a spark plug, this would have many of the qualities I would want. I really do like the design. I have high hopes for its performance.

On a sad note I have likely found a source of the mileage drop. That darned FIPK had come loose from the TB :mad: I am sure that may have been a part of the problem, as the stock sparkplugs were not terrible. They are in need of a change, but not 100% used up.
I keep saying that just one more time that thing comes loose and I am going to ditch it. I may need to get busy and see what I can do to improve upon the design. Perhaps morph the stock components to a workable solution. That is a good subject for another thread.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Brule, How are the new plugs performing? I'm finally going to get around to do the ignition tune up since my fuel milage has dropped to between 13.5 and 14.5.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

HenryJ wrote:That darned FIPK had come loose from the TB :mad:
*cough* AEM *cough*
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you can wait until the weekend , I'll pull one and take a look.
Mileage has been good. It starts and runs good. No complaints thus far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:popcorn: Did you have a chance to take a peak this weekend HJ? Just wondering, as I will be ordering all the parts soon... :wink:
:popcorn:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No. Things are busy around here an I did not get the time.
I can not promise when.
Wait or take your chances :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Well, you never know when I'll actually get around to ordering the parts. :lol: I won't actually decide 'til I actually order. :wink: I'll probably still go with AC Delco's mentioned in the other thread.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally pulled a plug to check the performance thus far.

:thumb:

They have been in service for just over 60 days now and about 1400 miles. They read clean. Other than a little bluing to the nickel finish you would think they were just installed. No appreciable wear and excellent burn characteristics so far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I just happened across the picture of the rapid fire-

It does have the same tapered outer electrode that the Autolite Irridium plug has-

Add the irridium center electrode , outer button and they would look the same.

IIRC, the rapidfires did not last quite to my expectations is a different vehicle. They worked good , but could have gone longer for the price.
Anyone running the Rapidfires currently?

At Summit Rapidfires cost $4.75 and the Autolite Irridium $7.95

Hard to say if the Irridium would go nearly twice as long?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for the updates, Brule. I almost feel sorry for my CC with all of the crap I am dealing with on my Jeep. I think when the CC is paid off this year that the jeep will be sold and my focus will once again be on the CC :wink:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Now where have I seen that Rapidfire picture before! :wink: Sorry, I was going to post that in here a couple days ago, but got tied up with work. I still haven't installed them yet. I hope to install them within the next week or so.
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

The Blazer is due for some new plugs/wires/cap/rotor...the whole shabangabang. I had the Bocsh plat 4 and then I switched em out cause I didnt like them. I ahve AC delco Plats in tehre now...no probs. WOuld you guys rate the Delcos higher or lower than the AUtolite XPs? Any reccomendations for wires/cap and stuff?
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My recommendations would be:

MSD Super Conductor or Taylor Thundervolt spark plug wires

Accel cap & rotor

AC Delco double platinum or Rapid Fire platinum spark plugs

HenryJ is the only one here who has used the AC Delco platinums and Autolite iridium/platinums so he is the only one who can possibly answer your question about which one is better. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:...WOuld you guys rate the Delcos higher or lower than the AUtolite XPs? Any reccomendations for wires/cap and stuff?
So far higher, but I will need lots more mileage and time before I have a definitive answer. The burn is good, but only time will tell if they outlast long enough to justify the price difference.
Wires - Taylor Spiropro
Cap/rotor - Niehoff w/brass terminals

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

Killian, what do you mean by double platinum?

Acdelco only makes 2 platinum plugs, platinum professional and the rapidfires.

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/sparkplugs/

The professional are what I'm going to put in my truck and I think those are stock.

Any tips for installing? http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/how- ... ug-224471/

I plan on using that right up for the steering shaft.
[size=75]-Tony
[b]2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab SLS[/b] | 4.3L 262ci 90º V6; Hydra Matic 4L60E |
0 mods getting it back to factory shape then modding.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Tony wrote:Killian, what do you mean by double platinum?

They used to be called double platinums, but they are the same as the professionals (1 platinum electrode + 1 platinum pad). :wink:

Steve
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

killian96ss wrote:
Tony wrote:Killian, what do you mean by double platinum?

They used to be called double platinums, but they are the same as the professionals (1 platinum electrode + 1 platinum pad). :wink:

Steve
Ok cool just wanted to clarify.

Any tips for installation?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Tony wrote:Any tips for installation?
Well, my CC had a body lift so changing the plugs was very easy for me (30-40 minutes), but I've heard that without the BL you might need some wobble extensions, u-joints, etc, and more time. :wink:

If you don't have a BL then maybe someone else here can give you some tips. :shrug:

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

The Barch man had a write-up I believe of his plug change with out the BL.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

My Rapidfires, Accel Cap/rotor, and MSD wires are still sitting on my dinner table until I have a whole day to work on getting this stuff in. :wink: I looked/tried for more 20 minutes, but it started getting late, (~10pm with work the next morning). Maybe, I should do the body lift first.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: