msd purchase

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

msd purchase

Post by Justin »

After not buying anything for my truck in a while (I think 2 months), I decided its time to regain some hp for helping on the highway. I purchased the msd 6200 along with the harness (i believe msd-8877). Does anyone know where summit ships out of? Also, any precautions in installing or will there be very good directions included? I think this purchase with the taylor wires will be a good start and enough for the ignition. [/code]
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

no idea, let us know how much more power you get. that looks like a mod i may need.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Warnoffroad wrote:.....that looks like a mod i may need.
Hmmm.....Is there one you don't need?
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
bad bowtie
Regular
Regular

Post by bad bowtie »

I have this mod with a msd coil and 8.5 mm wires. It works get and I noticed a big difference. When I drive my truck and my girlfriends truck which is a s-10 zr2 there is a big difference.
2002 crewcab ZR5 -- dark metallic blue , 2" PA bodylift , 1.5"torsion bar and shackle lift , 31" BFG all-terrians , K&N airfilter and 40 series , Flowmaster exhaust , Leer 100XQ cap , AND MUCH MORE!!
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

I have this mod with a msd coil and 8.5 mm wires. It works get and I noticed a big difference. When I drive my truck and my girlfriends truck which is a s-10 zr2 there is a big difference.
which coil do you have? Brule and I are looking for a replacement?

this may be dumb but where does MSD-8877 (wiring harness) go?

Where is the factory plug on the coil?

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pdf10.pdf
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Justin wrote: which coil do you have? Brule and I are looking for a replacement?
Thanks for the help, But I've been running the MSD Blaster coil (MSD-8231) ever since April, when I saw the arc/burning on the front of my stock coil and at the same time that I changed plug wires.

EDIT: the afore mentioned Blaster coil failed in just under a year. I would not buy this coil again
this may be dumb but where does MSD-8877 (wiring harness) go?
The only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked , and should have been.
The wiring harness basically makes the MSD ignition box "plug-n-play". It runs from the box to the coil and the stock coil plug.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

peer pressure gave in...Bought the coil too :wink:
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Brule, can you list the parts and part #so i can make sure I get every thing I need? thanks a bunch! BTW is the entire set up "plug n go" or is there custom stuff that needs to be done, or any wire cutting?
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Warnoffroad wrote:Brule, can you list the parts and part #so i can make sure I get every thing I need? thanks a bunch! BTW is the entire set up "plug n go" or is there custom stuff that needs to be done, or any wire cutting?
By using the MSD-8877 (wiring harness) everything is "plug-n-play" you can even plug the stock wiring back into the coil and bypass the ignition control box if needed in an emergency.

Basically , just choose the ignition control box that you want.
MSD-6A is the basic unit
MSD-6T has the rubber shock mounts and soft touch rev limiter connector
MSD-6AL has a built in soft touch rev limiter

All the electronics are basically the same as the 6A , just differences in mounts or added accessories.

Get the MSD-8877 wiring harness and all that is left is to decide where to mount it.

The coil (MSD Blaster coil - MSD-8231) is an option and is a "bolt on" replacement. My stock coil had the tell tale scorching on the front side from leakage, that's why I replaced it.

Summary: I have- MSD-6AL , MSD-8877 , MSD-8231 and a set of Taylor Spiro-pro wires :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK