2nd New Exhaust (replacing Gibson)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

2nd New Exhaust (replacing Gibson)

Post by Mike H. »

As a lot of you know, I was displeased with my Gibson "bolt-on" cat back system. The clearances were terrible and it hit at several points. I took it off with the intent of running a straight pipe using my OEM head pipe and tail pipe, and adding a spool piece where the factory muffler was. It worked OK, and there was a felt performance gain. But it was a slightly too loud in the cab at full throttle. Not bad at all at crusing speed though.

So I went ahead and did what I should have done instead of the Gibson. I got a Flowmaster and am running that with the OEM head pipe and tail pipe. I got the 50 Series Delta Flow. It is very quiet, really a little too quiet. But there is a slight felt performance gain over the Gibson and the OEM muffler. I got the offset inlet and centered outlet, just like OEM. 2.5" inlet and outlet. Lines right up. Our OEM head pipe is 2.5" OD and tail pipe is 2.25" OD, so I had to use a reducer at the outlet. I welded it all up. I'll need another adapter to use the stainless Gibson tip on the OEM tailpipe.

The Flowmaster cost me about $120 from a local muffler shop. To do over, I'd consider the 50 Series SUV or maybe the 40 Series Delta Flow. Either would be a little louder than the 50 Series Delta Flow. But if you want quiet performance, get 50 Delta.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

sounds cool

for all of you that like loud mufflers but done like a lot of vibration go with the delta flow. I have a friend (the dropped 2wd blue reg cab s10 off roadin in my album with a 4.3) has a 40 non delta and its insane. Shakes way too much, not comfortable for long drives.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

warnoffroad wrote:...for all of you that like loud mufflers but done like a lot of vibration go with the delta flow. ...
I think it depends on the pipe too.

I'm running the Flomaster Delta flow 3" in/out from the cat back with a 4" SS resonator tip. It has a deep mello tone, and is really not all that loud at WOT. Very comfortable at highway speeds.

You can see it in this picture:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

i have 40 3" also.... allmost cant hear it going down the freeway