Black Out Hood

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Black Out Hood

Post by Joseph »

Last night I was thinking about I wish I should of bought a custom hood instead of the twin hood scoops. The 1pc custom cowl hood to me looks better. Twin hoods scoops are fine, but what I really wanted. Well anyhow, I thought about a black out hood like the ones from the late 60's and early 70's. Have it all painted or 2/3rds painted or something like that. I've got a few designs I might go with. I'm going to the local junk yard to price a hood. What do you all think?
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Too cool of an idea. I have been thinking the same thing about a factory hood, but maybe doing some louvere work to it. A buddy of mine has a new louvere machine and I have been dying to try it out. Let me know what you find for cost of hoods, I would like to get a ball park figure. I am into completly custom, not installable custom, for instance, I am in the process of fabing all of my sheilds and skid plates out of of diamond plate aluminum. cant wait till I have time to finish them and post some pics.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Jeff wrote:Too cool of an idea. I have been thinking the same thing about a factory hood, but maybe doing some louvere work to it. A buddy of mine has a new louvere machine and I have been dying to try it out. Let me know what you find for cost of hoods, I would like to get a ball park figure. I am into completly custom, not installable custom, for instance, I am in the process of fabing all of my sheilds and skid plates out of of diamond plate aluminum. cant wait till I have time to finish them and post some pics.

did you get all you 4 of your skid plates? it took me forever to find them. i thought me and brule were the only guys to have the gas tank one?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Not yet, I am making all of mine. I have a friend who has all of the stock ones, I am coppying them, just doing it in diamond plate.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A good used hood should run $100-$200 (around here that's what they go for)

Any thoughts on what pattern you'd lay out the louvres?

What size louvre punches does your friend have?

The louvres would work great for ventilating the engine compartment and properly placed could even create a draw improving airflow through the radiator , there by,enhancing the cooling.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Black Out Hood

Post by Joseph »

I was doing some research on the black out hoods. I found black out hoods were mainly on Dodges and Plymouths. I found a few Fords. I think if you own a Chevy make it look like a Chevy. I'm still going to find out price of a hood and what it would to paint it.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Black Out Hood

Post by Joseph »

Well, I final check into a price for doing black out hood. I thougth about a junk yard hood $200 hopefully it would be a good one. Then went to a autobody shop they told me they can get a aftermarket S-10 hood for $175 and it would be a new hood, unlike a $200 used hood and it could have problems with it. Now, to paint the hood $125, total of around $300-$350. Back in the era of black out hoods different auto makers use different shades of black. The owner of the autobody shop said a semi-gloss flat black should look best. So, I run this idea around to a few people and see what kind of feed back I get.
Randy

Post by Randy »

If it were mine I would have it painted Black with 2 stage paint and leave off the clear coat. That way the hood is protected from rust but still has that flat-matte look that I think you want to get. A lot of the lead sleds and rat rods here in So. Cal have that flat-matte look and I really like it. Good luck :twisted:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i am thinking of just takeing my hood off :lol: no more overheating issues :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Lee
Regular
Regular

Black out hood

Post by Lee »

I'm just curious to know exactly what you mean by black out hood? I've never heard the term used before. :?
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Black Out Hood

Post by Joseph »

Well Lee, I'm big fan of muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's. Mostly Dodges, Plymouths and a few Fords had the hood painted flat black. They were painted that way to more dominating effect to the car. I was thinking of something different to do. I'm kinda of going after a factory muscle truck look. A flat black hood might do the trick, or not. Still thinking about a 1-piece custom hood. Might due something after this winter. Hate to put a freshly painted hood threw the elements of winter.
Lee
Regular
Regular

Black out hood

Post by Lee »

Ok, I understand what you're talking about now. I've seen the effect you're talking about. I'm thinking about putting a supercharger on my truck, and if I did that, I'd but on a functional ram air hood. I like the look of the ram air hoods, but I'd want mine painted the same color as the rest of my truck, cept maybe I might get some racing stripes or something like that.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thought I'd revive this thread.

An aquaintance of mine did a mod that really looks factory stock "muscle car".

He drives a newer Ford "SporTrac".

He cut a hole in the hood and added a "shaker" hood scoop to the top of the engine. The scoop and about two-thirds of the hood are painted flat black.

I'm told that the scoop is functional! It does look like a factory job, NICE.

It might be an option that would look good on our trucks, what about the Trans-am scoop, or didn't the Olds 442 have something of a similar size?

I think just a plain black out hood might look strange, but with something to break it up , maybe not?

The Sonoma's hood would be a better choice , (IMO) with the drop down center (kinda like the old "Hickey hood") there would be a natural line for the black out. Plus no center crease to mess with.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Just the other day I thought about the Sonoma hood and have center painted flat black, the rest painted same color as the truck. Maybe, all painted flat black and scoop in the center. So much I want to do and so little money. Well see. JH68
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

IMHO...an all flat black hood would make it look like a rice burner. I see 15-20 little Civics and stuff every day with a plain black hood on their stock colored car. I personally think it looks ghetto. If it's on a 60's era muscle car, then it's cool, because that was stock, but on anything else, it would just look like you're trying to fool everyone into thinking you have a carbon fiber hood. Just my opinion though.

Now a flat black single wide stripe or dual stripes like the Extremes, that would be cool. :thumb:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:Thought I'd revive this thread.

An aquaintance of mine did a mod that really looks factory stock "muscle car".

He drives a newer Ford "SporTrac".

He cut a hole in the hood and added a "shaker" hood scoop to the top of the engine. The scoop and about two-thirds of the hood are painted flat black.

I'm told that the scoop is functional! It does look like a factory job, NICE.

It might be an option that would look good on our trucks, what about the Trans-am scoop, or didn't the Olds 442 have something of a similar size?

I think just a plain black out hood might look strange, but with something to break it up , maybe not?

The Sonoma's hood would be a better choice , (IMO) with the drop down center (kinda like the old "Hickey hood") there would be a natural line for the black out. Plus no center crease to mess with.

Out of all the muscle cars I have had my favorite is still the 69 & 70 GTO dual scoop. That would be a choice from 73 Pontiac 455 Trans Am, 68 SS 396 Chevelle, 69 COPO Chevelle, 70 GTO Judge, 69 GTO, 69 Trans Am, 67 427 Corvette, 68 427 Corvette, 70 LT-1 Corvette, those are the only muscle cars I've had with scoops, oh yeah then came kids and practicality set in.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I still thinking about the Sonoma hood, just paint it same color as truck or go to the junk yard and see if I can find a hood in the same color as my truck. If can't decide what to do I'll just put on rally stripes on the hood scoops and off the back of the hood. JH68
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do it! :thumb:

I came real close to putting a Sonoma hood on mine pretty early on.

My friend with the Highrider (same color) was going to get a cowl hood , but changed his mind. I told him if He got another hood I wanted his.

As it worked out I ended up getting the cowl hood and he kept his. :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

I havent read all the posts, but if it hasent been said does anyone know about the twin hood scoops that just tape on? I believe there about $70.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I have the twin hood scoops you're talking about (Warnoffroad). Check it out on the members pages under Joseph. Their pretty nice but not what I really wanted. I want a 1 piece hood I keep seeing more of the twin hood scoops on other cars and trucks. I wish I would of waited saved up my money for a 1piece hood. I always wanted to have something different from everyone else. So, I'm going to have rally stripes put on the hood scoops and off back off the hood. I'm still going to check in to the Sonoma hood idea. Just to be different. Factory look. JH68

Added the pic-HJ
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Yea I want to go with a 4 or a 3 inch lift on my hood but getting it painted would be my only problem.