removing door panals

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

duce
Crew
Crew

removing door panals

Post by duce »

i whant to instal tweeters in my doors so my ? is how do i remove the door panels :?:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

actually there are tweeters on top of the dash. I'm not sure what size but it is better to install them there. People think it looks good to cut holes in the door panel and mount the tweeter flush but I was told to seperate the highs from the mids. Besides, mounting aftermarket tweeters on the dash helps sound bounce off the windshield into the cab.
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

The factory tweeter is sitting recessed into a metal plate mounted in a standard 4x6 speaker hole (for lack of a better word). You may try removing the existing tweeter and putting an aftermarket tweeter in the factory mounting plate. Most aftermarket mobile audio tweeters, whether from component sets or stand alone units, should come shipped with a variety of mounting hardware. Between those options and some thought, you should be able to mount them with less effort than mounting them elsewhere, unless you just surface mounted them. But to answer your question, there is a screw in the door lock unit and a couple under the door handle. After that, the interior door panel is simply held in place with those plastic pop in thingee's (again, for lack of a better word :D). Shouldn't take much effort to remove 'em. Good luck....
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

thanks Justin i had no idea that we had tweeters in the dash speakers.i may take NTXcrew sugestion and just replace the factory tweeters with better ones. ah hell i might just change all the factory speakers... :roll: thanks guys 4 the help...
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

When I replaced my factory's with Infinity Reference 6 1/2's it was such a big difference...less muddiness and more punch in the low end...
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Scott03
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Scott03 »

Hey NXTcrew, did you replace all the factory speakers in your truck? Also did you add a head unit and/or amp? I was thinking of replacing all my factory too, to add some quality sound and bass, but without a sub.

Anyone, any suggestions on speaker replacements for our trucks, I've had good experiance with Infinity (reference and kappa) and RF.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Scott03 wrote:Hey NXTcrew, did you replace all the factory speakers in your truck? Also did you add a head unit and/or amp? I was thinking of replacing all my factory too, to add some quality sound and bass, but without a sub.

Anyone, any suggestions on speaker replacements for our trucks, I've had good experiance with Infinity (reference and kappa) and RF.

Well, it's kinda cheesy, but...the rear doors are a no brainer. If you have those nifty plug in speaker wire harnesses, you are replacing a coaxial speaker for the same. For the fronts, I thought a lot about doing components, but because I wasn't going to run a separate amp, I decided against it. I ended up installing the previous model year 6 1/2 Infinity Reference coaxials in all for door positions (The changes for this years model couldn't overcome the clearance price at Circuit City for last years model...). Because I was working a lot of overtime then, I ended up having them install them, too....now I know how easy it is and how I could've done it myself :roll: . Oddly enough, I thought that the front tweeters would be disconnected, and I wasn't worried because the Infinity's have a rotatable tweeter, but they wtill work. I may get around to doing something about them, but it honestly sounds very good. The stock system may use some sort of passive crossover network. I guess there has to be some speaker wire running to the tweets and you could disconnect it if you wanted to, or use that wire to run between tweeters and a crossover if you bought an aftermarket component set. To answer your second question, I just put in my receiver from my old car. It's a Kenwood eXcelon 700-something. I have an MTX amp and 6000's 10" sub, too, but to do something with that is going to be much more labor intensive...though I sure miss that deep, tight bass...I favor SQ over SPL.
-Jim
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

NTXcrew what is the wattage of thos 6 1/2 and what size are the factory ones? the rear ones look like a smaller speaker than the front.. so can you put the same size in the rear as the front.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Here's pics of my dash speaker setup --- I squeezed in a Rockford Fosgate 4 inch component set. Usually the 4x6 plates use a 3 inch speaker and I wanted a little more mid-bass kcik ability.

Fitting them in took a decent amount of cutting and carving, and the required changes are permanent. I had to enlarge the speaker openings in the dash, and take Mr. Heat gun to the AC ducting on the drivers side and re mold it. I also had to use Mr. Reciprocating Saw and Mr. Cut-off Wheel, cut out a section of the air vent, and use Mr. Duct tape to seal it all back off again. These are old car-stereo installer tricks when people want things in places they weren't intended to be. (Speakers guys--we're talking about speakers right???)

Anyways, I had this big ornate system planned with a nice fiberglassed amprack and sub enclosure, but one of my amps went tits-up and I ripped it all out and put a Bazooka 10 inch powered sub in and am running stock front and rear door speakers, and the fosgates in the dash, with crossovers, and all powered by my Kenwood Headunit. the nice thing about headunits these days is many of them are actually capable of delivering a solid 45 watts per channel, and this is alleviating the need for a mid/high amp in smaller system situations. My stereo is plenty loud to bother the guy in the car next to me if I have the windows down, and has a good sonic feel to it -- I have never been a fan of the powered subs in the past, but this one really has changed my mind on them.
Last edited by adrenalnjunky on Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

duce wrote:NTXcrew what is the wattage of thos 6 1/2 and what size are the factory ones? the rear ones look like a smaller speaker than the front.. so can you put the same size in the rear as the front.

recommended power range 2-60 watts RMS

peak power handling 180 watts

Crutchfield is still selling last year's model for only $69.99 a pair and this year's for $99.99. Here is a link to there 6 1/2" coaxial page:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-2i ... c=01&avf=N

There may very well be a difference in the exterior-side size of the grills built into the front and rear door panels... I haven't measured, but the mouting size of of the speakers is the same- 6 1/2". They have a shallow plastic cylinder that they mount on/in. All of the speakers mount with four screws to the end of it. It's hard to visualize. I'm without a digital camera or I would take my door panel off for fun....hmm....I may still do that... :D

If you replace your speakers and put in a good head unit (mine is 45 watts, too), you should have more "crankability" than you can stand. And even if money keeps you from doing both, replace your speakers and you'll never look back. Before I saw the stock units out of the doors I thought, "The front speakers are separates, so they can't be that bad." IMO, they are- the woofers have paper cones and paper surrounds...'nuff said.
Last edited by NTXCrew on Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

nice setup adrenalinjunky :shock: but i don't think i am willing to go that fare at this point.i do have a very nice head unit alpine 4+50 watts and a 10"pioneer sub.all thats missing is to replace the factory speakers. so my project this weekend will be to get thous infinity,s and replace the tweeter,s in the dash.thanks for the info guys will let you no how it comes out.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

duce wrote:nice setup adrenalinjunky :shock: but i don't think i am willing to go that fare at this point.i do have a very nice head unit alpine 4+50 watts and a 10"pioneer sub.all thats missing is to replace the factory speakers. so my project this weekend will be to get thous infinity,s and replace the tweeter,s in the dash.thanks for the info guys will let you no how it comes out.

That will sound awesome...
-Jim
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

anything is better than the paper speakers gm puts in their factory vehicles (besides those equiped with bose) I noticed a BIG difference installing a 400x4 rockfard fosgate, MB Quart reference 6.5" component set and 5.25" in the rear doors. It's alot louder and the high's (ting ting from drummers) comes out clear
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
duce
Crew
Crew

update time

Post by duce »

ok so i got my new speakers friday. but my local shop didn't carey the infinity 652i so i got these instead i got the too rear ones in with no trouble but than mother nature started to play games with me it would rain a little than clear than rain and so on but finale got them all in and it sounds grate... :D now i am just waiting on my tail lights to come in that i won on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2427231272 has anyone change their lights with ones from ebay?? i hope they will be alright first time buying from them...

Made the loong url a link-HJ
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: removing door panals

Post by quickbiker »

duce wrote:i whant to instal tweeters in my doors so my ? is how do i remove the door panels :?:

LOL, it's a breeze. I just removed my passenger side to pop out a dent. Took me about 5 minutes. Just pop and snap. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]