hard tonneau cover + bed rails??

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

duce
Crew
Crew

hard tonneau cover + bed rails??

Post by duce »

ok i want to put a hard tonneau cover on my truck. but i have bed rails i like the bed rails so i don't want to get rid of them. so my ? is has anyone mounted the bed rails to the top of the tonneau cover :?:
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

cover and rails

Post by snowsurfer »

I have the same problem, I asked this question a month ago when I got my new crew but no one had a answer. All the companines I called said rails need to come off. If you find a solution let me know,

Thanks

Steve

SEAYAHAWAII@hawaii.rr.com
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: cover and rails

Post by a2b »

snowsurfer wrote:I have the same problem, I asked this question a month ago when I got my new crew but no one had a answer. All the companines I called said rails need to come off. If you find a solution let me know,

Thanks

Steve

oops sorry about that. i thought that conman came up with a solution. i am not sure though.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

well it might be non of my business but they dont make hard cover to go on the Zr5's or anything with rail,they will have to cone off, i made a comprise i went with the access rollup cover it lays flat not bowed up in the middle like most others and fits with the rails on, i've got an 03 ZR5 and its the best thing i could find,the access cover has locks at the tailgate that will lock it down and i installed a power tailgate lock so the whole thing is locked, it's not wuite watertight but i put weatherstripping from lowes around the tailgate and thats watertight but the front isnt yet.i havent figured out what im' going to do with yet, but ill do it soon.

the cover looks sharp on my truckette and has a made a difference in the way she handles on the road i just installed so i havent seen a an mpg increase yet but i dont really care about that as long as its lockable and reasonably waterproof, if you decide to go that route let me know and ill give you some tips on the lock installtion it took me almost 2 hours and i should have been able to do it in half an hour

sorry,its a comprimise if i knew where i could post some pics on the net id put them up, but if youd like i can email you some
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smokinjoe wrote:if i knew where i could post some pics on the net id put them up,
Ahem, read this topic : Good place for a photo album (Be sure they are under the 100k limit for posting here.)

There you will find instructions and a link to S-10 & Sonoma Crew Cab - Yahoo group storage site When you get them uploaded , see the post : Images for how to post your image in the forum.

All this and more can be found in the Information Forum

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

groovy

ill give it shot this weekend hopefully, cameras is hooked up to the wifes computer so itll be a few days
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

smokinjoe wrote:well it might be non of my business...

yes yes...it is your business, please dont hold back any info that you have. you experience and research is why we are all here. bouncing ideas off each other. you are more than welcome to put your 2cents in on any subject......as long as there is no name calling! :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

if it comes down to name calling on the internet i dont think im adult enough to be using it, unless were making fun of fords :D
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

smokinjoe wrote:if it comes down to name calling on the internet i dont think im adult enough to be using it, unless were making fun of fords :D

:thumb:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: cover and rails

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:
snowsurfer wrote:I have the same problem, I asked this question a month ago when I got my new crew but no one had a answer. All the companines I called said rails need to come off. If you find a solution let me know,

Thanks

Steve

oops sorry about that. i thought that conman came up with a solution. i am not sure though.

Mine is the soft cover roll up from truxedo(same as the access roll up cover). The thought on how to keep the bed rails is to take them off the bed and install them on the hard cover.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

yes conman thats what i have bin toled i have to do have the bed rails mounted to the top of the hard cover.i was hopping someone here had done this before and could tell me how it looks.i think it will look ok but is their room under the cover to bolt the rails and not have them hit the top of the truck when you close it?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i had a truck years ago with bed rails and when i moved to los angeles, everybody made fun of me for having them, cuz they said it was out of style a long time ago.

and i still dont see them on trucks out here
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:i had a truck years ago with bed rails and when i moved to los angeles, everybody made fun of me for having them, cuz they said it was out of style a long time ago.

and i still dont see them on trucks out here

That's funny, I see them more and more over here. It's an East Cost thing I guess! ;)

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i see alot of trucks w/ rails, i think they still look good and if anyone says anything just tell them your going retro :D

plus the ones on ZR5's look better because of the suppurts they have at the corners of the rails, at least in my opinion
duce
Crew
Crew

Post by duce »

i think the rails make it look more sporty and the guy at my local truck supplier sayid he can put the rails on top of the cover but it would void the warranty on the cover...
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

duce wrote:i think the rails make it look more sporty and the guy at my local truck supplier sayid he can put the rails on top of the cover but it would void the warranty on the cover...

Catch-22. :(

Well, I don't think any hard cover maker will make one that does not cover the side rails so it looks like you would have to remove the rails to get one. For me, I carry my motorcycle around so I need to have something that can fold away. But this is not as secure as a hard cover though.

Con
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

does the truxedo lock, after i put the tailgate lock in the only way to get in is to slice open the tonneau cover not that that would be too difficult, it.s just vinyl.

but mines fairly secure now, still not quite watertight but im working on it
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

well lets see if this workd these are pics of the access rollup cover

link

looong addy , linked-HJ
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

smokinjoe wrote:well lets see if this workd these are pics of the access rollup cover

Very nice. The look of the access looks better than the Truxedo. The sides of the cover look easier to get to as it's angled in while the truxedo is squared. Everything else looks similar except for the latch but it appears the latch works in a similar fashion.

Con
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

its definatley easy i think a 6 year old could operate it
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

Post by EDWRDM »

Conman wrote:
smokinjoe wrote:well lets see if this workd these are pics of the access rollup cover

Very nice. The look of the access looks better than the Truxedo. The sides of the cover look easier to get to as it's angled in while the truxedo is squared. Everything else looks similar except for the latch but it appears the latch works in a similar fashion.

Con
I bought the Access Limited Edition 3 weeks ago and I like it a lot, Haven't installed the tailgate lock yet but that looks pretty easy too. At least it will keep the honest people out and I can leave my bowling bag in the back of the truck when I stop on the way home for a beer!
2002 S10 ZR-5 Crewcab Yellow (can u believe they charge extra for Yellow?) Access LE Cover w/ electric tailgate lock, APC Clear Corners, Vent Visors, Deflecta Shield .
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

EDWRDM wrote:
Conman wrote:

Con
I bought the Access Limited Edition 3 weeks ago and I like it a lot, Haven't installed the tailgate lock yet but that looks pretty easy too. At least it will keep the honest people out and I can leave my bowling bag in the back of the truck when I stop on the way home for a beer!
let me know if your hooking up a power tailgate i can take some of the confusion out for you, i know my directions werent very easy to follow
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

Post by EDWRDM »

smokinjoe wrote:
let me know if your hooking up a power tailgate i can take some of the confusion out for you, i know my directions werent very easy to follow
Yes, It's a Pop Lock Power Tailgate Lock #PL8150

I got the best price on the Access LE cover ($ 454.67) and the lock from Real Truck.com they gave me $30 instant discount. The lock was $76.95 and I got a Multi Function Pocket Tool for FREE. Total with FREE shipping was $501.62
2002 S10 ZR-5 Crewcab Yellow (can u believe they charge extra for Yellow?) Access LE Cover w/ electric tailgate lock, APC Clear Corners, Vent Visors, Deflecta Shield .