superchargers

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

superchargers

Post by QnsRyche »

ok after a few trips pull my trailer in the heat and hills.... thinking of a supercharger..... any opinons? ... or thinking of just trading it in on a full size..probley the new dodge crew cab diesel 4x4... yes im a chevy guy but i dont like the way they look anymore
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I think the Chevy HD's look pretty good. And if you're wanting a diesel, you can't argue with the Duramax and Allison tranny combo. You'll have to be OK with the $40,000+ price tag though. :shock:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the duramax is the most powerful diesel out there....but if you want a dodge...get the 2002..they have a dana70 in front and dana 80 in rear...in 2003, they went to american axel...cheap way out!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Yeah, your trailer is pretty big. I def. would say get a fullsize. As for Diesel, I love them but after reading a few articles about them, I'm not sure the price diff, over a gas engine is worth the cost(unless you plan on keep the truck longer than like 10years).

I was looking at a 1500HD crew; but since I don't do heavy hauling, I did pick the s10 crew cause of the economics(cheaper price and somewhat better MPG).

Because I really wanted 4 real doors, I did not really look at the extended cabs. Taking a closer look to the fullsize extended cabs(esp now with the rear "doors"), I would have considered it more. Plus now there is good rebates so the price of a fullsize is not much more than the s10.

Going forward, when it comes time to replace the s10, I would look at the new Colorado(depending on how much bigger it really is) and the Avalanche(the looks have grown on me now). The rumors of the H3 baby hummer have a small bed as well so that's an interesting option. First rumors were that it was going to be based on the s10 chassis, but now, I hear it will be based on the Colorado plateform instead. We will see. Since I'm not a heavy hauler, I would like to stick with a mid-size truck.

Back to your questions, there was a review of 3/4ton diesel pickups and their order was Ford F250 First, 2500HD second, and Ram last. I think it was 4wheeler mag so offroading stock, the ford was better so it was ranked higher. They said the 2500HD is the best onroad truck(BTW, the review was a GMC). The Ford was rough riding on the street. The Dodge does get a good nod for being cheaper than the other two plus the better warranty.

If you don't like the looks of the 03 chevys, try the GMC versions as they still look the same as before. If I needed a fullsize, I would probably get no smaller than a 3/4ton model with extended cab and short bed. probably a 2550HD with the 6.0L gas would be plenty probably for your trailer. Carsdirect.com has after rebate a nice LS 4x4 6.0L extended cab for around $30K after rebates(MSRP is almost $37k!) Not too bad.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

you all didn't answer my question about super chargers.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Check out the 1500 crew cabs or I hate to say it but..

I kinda like the f150 supercrew. But if you don't mind waiting I would definitely check out the colorado/canyon when it comes out. It should be comparable to the dakota.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Doesnt someone have the PowerDyne Supercharger?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes, one guy here does have it.....he said that it creates like 320hp and boost the torque up considerably.....it costs him 2k. if thats true, then that is way better than the 5.3 v-8 as it only gets 275hp.

and that supercharged v6 will pull that trailer really nice. might consider a real shift kit for the tranny :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

QnsRyche wrote:you all didn't answer my question about super chargers.

Sorry. :oops: Since your trailer is so big, my suggestion is to just go fullsize. I think the SC will fill in the power gap, but IMHO, the S10 chassis is only "light duty" so I'm not sure how long your tranny and axles will do in the long term. My neighbor has a Ram TD 3/4ton and he loves it as he has a big trailer as well. A friend of the family got a Chevy 3500 gas cause they just upgraded their trailer to a 5th wheel model. I think they got the 8.0L engine. Before that, they had a Suburban 2500.

Good Luck,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Ya know,... I understand the SC will provide more power, and more torque,.. but truely ... for how long before having problems. AND with that said,... say it does perform well for the long haul... but pulling larger trailers, I'm sorry you can't beat a full size for safety. Longer/wider wheel base, heavier stance....

Think about it, do you really want to pull something that is twice your vehicles size/weight down the road.... and not be white knuckled each time a Tractor-trailer blows by you at 85mph.

AND who says the 03's are ugly...lol I love mine..lol

http://www.mychevytruck.com/showownerpi ... 3252&pos=1

and

http://www.mychevytruck.com/showownerpi ... 6615&pos=1[/img]
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, the full size definetly will handle the trailer better. better brakes, handling and the trailer wont be in so much control compared to when the s-10 i pulling it.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

I love the looks of the new 03s!! If they werent so hard to park I dont think I would have gotten the s-10 (keep in mind im only 5'8). But now my truck is impossible to park, besides the fact that it cant turn for crap. But I still have to open my door or roll my window down to see the lines :( :lol:
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Roll your window down...to see the lines.... lol

Hey, you've got power mirrors,... use them...lol Personally I feel like my 03 silverado is only a hair harder to park than my crew cab was. It still turns pretty sharp I think.

:lol:
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

rolling the window down to see the lines is cool 8)
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

5' 8) :lol: I ment 5'8'' :lol: :lol:

Yeah but the power mirrors take too long :lol:
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I think Steven said it best... SAFETY.

In order to get an S-10 up to an acceptable hauler for such a heavy trailer, you would have to consider strengthening the axles, differentials, a thicker tranny cross member... but most importantly, the brakes on the S-10 really aren't up to par. Granted, smoothly crusing at 55 MPH without any traffic near by should cause no concern. But when your moving along that side-street at 35 and the kid with the ball jumps out, the full size will be the better option.

A supercharger's boost is cool for 1/4 mile runs, or the occasional sprint to teach that Mustang a lesson. But for towing? IMO, the boost needed to pull that trailer will do nothing but shorten the life span of all your internals. I asked myself this question, if I added a supercharger, and NEVER let off full throttle for years of driving... would I still have an engine? I don't think so, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I just find it hard to believe that increasing the engine from 190 to 320 is healthy. It seems it's too good to believe for a 'simple bolt on'. But when just used as power on demand, the SC should be great.

I'd imagine if you upgraded the oiling and cooling system, strengthened the cylinder sleeves, crank shaft, and tranny, the SC would work for years without problems. But by then, the fullsize is cheaper.

BTW, I want the SC too. I just like the 'sleeper' effect it adds.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I agree with most of the above post, but after over a dozen years of running a supercharger to it's limits on my HenryJ, I have some views.

I think a supercharger can work for towing if steps are taken to deal with the added demands.

Main things to consider are availability of higher octane fuel and dealing with the extra heat generated.

Our tranny (with a good aux. cooler) should handle it fine. It is the same 4L60E used in the fullsize 1/2 ton.

Axles are a bit smaller, but if you aren't drag racing they should hold up.

The horsepower gains come from the engines pistons not having to draw the intake charge , thus increasing the efficiency. Think of it as an altitude compensator.

Keep in mind that power=energy=heat , our cooling system is not going to handle the added heat very well and a blower is a heat pump! Not only does the engine develop more heat from the increased energy generated, but the charger itself just by the beating and compressing of the air creates a warmer intake charge.

Properly installed and limited to lower amounts of boost , I believe it is useable and should not severly shorten the normal service life (if you can keep your foot out of it)

P.S. Do not exceed the vehicles weight for a towed load, and don't expect to pass up any gas stations ;)

Obviously if you are going to do quite a bit of towing large loads a fullsize would be more economical.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

thanks henry...

i have to run super when pulling anyways.... and mileage pulling is 8 now so not a big loss... maybe it'll pick up..

and yea im within the weight..