New Gibson cat-back

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New Gibson cat-back

Post by Mike H. »

I had ordered the Gibson cat-back single exhaust last week. It is the only one I could find that was a true bolt-on made specifically for the Crew Cab. It has a 2.5" pipe from muffler to end, instead of our factory 2.25" discharge. Comes with a 3" polished stainless tip, and uses the factory hangers. I picked it up during lunch today.

Well, tonight I left my kids watching TV and playing games so I could go out to the garage and just open the box, check to see that I got all the right parts, and read the instructions to be prepared to install it this weekend. Well, darn if the thing didn't end up on my truck! I swear I didn't mean too! :roll:

No chance to drive it yet, but it sounds pretty good. Sounds like a 6-cylinder though. I was kind of hoping for the sound of a 350 with dual turbos and no converter. But then, in reality it is only 3/4 of a 350. Oh well.

I'll post here again tomorrow after driving it. I'm hoping for at least the same power gain as with the K&N FIPK Gen 2 I put in last weekend.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: New Gibson cat-back

Post by Conman »

Mike H. wrote:I had ordered the Gibson cat-back single exhaust last week. It is the only one I could find that was a true bolt-on made specifically for the Crew Cab. It has a 2.5" pipe from muffler to end, instead of our factory 2.25" discharge. Comes with a 3" polished stainless tip, and uses the factory hangers. I picked it up during lunch today.

Well, tonight I left my kids watching TV and playing games so I could go out to the garage and just open the box, check to see that I got all the right parts, and read the instructions to be prepared to install it this weekend. Well, darn if the thing didn't end up on my truck! I swear I didn't mean too! :roll:

No chance to drive it yet, but it sounds pretty good. Sounds like a 6-cylinder though. I was kind of hoping for the sound of a 350 with dual turbos and no converter. But then, in reality it is only 3/4 of a 350. Oh well.

I'll post here again tomorrow after driving it. I'm hoping for at least the same power gain as with the K&N FIPK Gen 2 I put in last weekend.

Really? bolt on? :shock: Need more info! :)

Cheers,

Con :P
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: New Gibson cat-back

Post by Conman »

Mike H. wrote:I had ordered the Gibson cat-back single exhaust last week. It is the only one I could find that was a true bolt-on made specifically for the Crew Cab. It has a 2.5" pipe from muffler to end, instead of our factory 2.25" discharge. Comes with a 3" polished stainless tip, and uses the factory hangers. I picked it up during lunch today.

Really? bolt on? :shock: Need more info! :)

Cheers,

Con :P
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Yup. Very much the same as the factory as far as routing and mounting. The headpipe is 3" flanged gasketed connection then necks down to 2.5", virtually identically as factory. The muffler is shorter than factory, round, with entry and exit offset (entry at 6:00, outlet at 12:00, when installed.) It is about 9" in diameter. Outlet from it is 2.5", as is the tailpipe. (The factory outlet is 2.25" with a 2.25" tailpipe.) They include a nice polished stainless 3" diameter tip about 6" long. Uses all the factory mounting points and rubber hangers.

And if anybody is afraid to make permanant modifications, you can very easily remove your factory system in one piece. Just unbolt and unhang and remove toward the front. I jacked up my rear some at the hitch to give more clearance over the axle.

Biggest tip: Follow the instructions and spray the darn rubber hangers with some sort of lubricant before attempting to remove your factory exhaust. 1000% easier to remove. I found this out the hard way after wrestling with them for 30 minutes.

Also, it should be ILLEGAL for any auto manufacturer to coat their frames with black gunk instead of paint. Mine has much less now, but my arms have a nice coat.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Mike H. wrote:Yup. Very much the same as the factory as far as routing and mounting. The headpipe is 3" flanged gasketed connection then necks down to 2.5", virtually identically as factory. The muffler is shorter than factory, round, with entry and exit offset (entry at 6:00, outlet at 12:00, when installed.) It is about 9" in diameter. Outlet from it is 2.5", as is the tailpipe. (The factory outlet is 2.25" with a 2.25" tailpipe.) They include a nice polished stainless 3" diameter tip about 6" long. Uses all the factory mounting points and rubber hangers.

And if anybody is afraid to make permanant modifications, you can very easily remove your factory system in one piece. Just unbolt and unhang and remove toward the front. I jacked up my rear some at the hitch to give more clearance over the axle.

Biggest tip: Follow the instructions and spray the darn rubber hangers with some sort of lubricant before attempting to remove your factory exhaust. 1000% easier to remove. I found this out the hard way after wrestling with them for 30 minutes.

Also, it should be ILLEGAL for any auto manufacturer to coat their frames with black gunk instead of paint. Mine has much less now, but my arms have a nice coat.

Very Cool! Uncool about the gunk but what I'm told is to prevent rust. But once it get's rubbed off, how will it prevent rust?!? :x

How does it sound?
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Because of $$$ I'm deciding between the Gibson exhaust system and the K&N FIPK Gen II. What do ya'll think I should do first?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

I would do intake...but of course my muffler is still kinda new.
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

NTXCrew wrote:Because of $$$ I'm deciding between the Gibson exhaust system and the K&N FIPK Gen II. What do ya'll think I should do first?

Well, having both, I would DEFINITELY say the K&N FIPK Gen 2, no doubt. Much more noticable power difference than the exhaust.

I'm a little upset with the Gibson right now (day 1). A few rattles due to very close tolerances. I'll have to adjust it a bit this weekend. It may be a tad bit short. It is VERY close to the frame, spring and shock in the wheel area and the sheet metal behind the tire. I may end up regretting the amount of "adjusting" I have to do. I'll keep you posted.

I'm certainly not yet ready to "recommend" it to anybody. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: After much adjusting, my rear tailpipe simply does NOT fit. I called Gibson and e-mailed many pictures to them. They are sending me a new pipe. They said they have only had one previous complaint, at that truck didn't have the Z85 suspension. (I thought all the Crews had Z85.) All the pipes they had on the shelf fit their mock-up. Apparently they only tested the system on a 2001 truck. They are trying to get ahold of a 2002 to do a test. Should be the same though I would think. I'll update again when I get the new pipe.
Last edited by Mike H. on Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Conman wrote:Very Cool! Uncool about the gunk but what I'm told is to prevent rust. But once it get's rubbed off, how will it prevent rust?!? :x

How does it sound?
My arms won't rust for awhile :lol:

It sound's a lot like an old Chevy 250 straight 6 with a split manifold and turbo mufflers. Not real loud. Maybe a little louder inside than out actually. Idling is when I notice it. Not so much at WOT. I hear the intake then.

Truthfully, I'm not sure I made the right choice yet. I might should have just gotten the Flowmaster Series 50 Delta and had a bigger tailpipe installed. Don't run out and buy one of these yet.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Mike H. wrote:
Conman wrote:Very Cool! Uncool about the gunk but what I'm told is to prevent rust. But once it get's rubbed off, how will it prevent rust?!? :x

How does it sound?
My arms won't rust for awhile :lol:

It sound's a lot like an old Chevy 250 straight 6 with a split manifold and turbo mufflers. Not real loud. Maybe a little louder inside than out actually. Idling is when I notice it. Not so much at WOT. I hear the intake then.

Truthfully, I'm not sure I made the right choice yet. I might should have just gotten the Flowmaster Series 50 Delta and had a bigger tailpipe installed. Don't run out and buy one of these yet.

the muffler is new so I bet the sound will get deeper when it "breaks-in" The Flow master uses baffles(I think) so it should sound the same from the get go.
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

i did a flowmaster 40 3" single and im very happy with it..... noticed power and milage
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Is the Flowmaster just the muffler? Or do they have a cat-back system?
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

no cat back that i know of... had a shop do it... 240 bucks
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Right!

Adding that to the list....
Doogy
Regular
Regular

Post by Doogy »

Hey guys! We would love to hear some sound bites/recordings of your trucks with both the Gibson and Flowmaster systems or other systems. How about it? :idea: Just a friendly request.
Doogy
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

if i could find a way to post audio i would
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Doogy wrote:Hey guys! We would love to hear some sound bites/recordings of your trucks with both the Gibson and Flowmaster systems or other systems. How about it? :idea: Just a friendly request.
I don't really have the capability, plus you really wouldn't hear it anyway. It is louder inside the truck than out. I say don't ever buy the Gibson. I was wanting a cool outside sound. I did not get it. Plus I got no improved gas mileage, only very little felt power increase. Plus the fit is poor. Buy the Flowmaster and have it custom installed- I wish I did.

EDIT: I just added 16 pictures of the exhaust "fit" to my photo page. Check it out. This is what happens when they try to limit all bends to a maximum of 45?, and try to squeek it through between the spring, frame and fender.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Mike H. wrote:
Doogy wrote:Hey guys! We would love to hear some sound bites/recordings of your trucks with both the Gibson and Flowmaster systems or other systems. How about it? :idea: Just a friendly request.
I don't really have the capability, plus you really wouldn't hear it anyway. It is louder inside the truck than out. I say don't ever buy the Gibson. I was wanting a cool outside sound. I did not get it. Plus I got no improved gas mileage, only very little felt power increase. Plus the fit is poor. Buy the Flowmaster and have it custom installed- I wish I did.

EDIT: I just added 16 pictures of the exhaust "fit" to my photo page. Check it out. This is what happens when they try to limit all bends to a maximum of 45?, and try to squeek it through between the spring, frame and fender.

Any update on your exhaust? I've been thinking about some performance mods(air intake and exhaust) and was wondering your feedback. I searched the Internet and the V8 owners love their Gibson cause it's not too loud but does add some nice sound. Is the system still rattling? If you could do it again, would you get it or something else? Thanks.

Cheers,

Con
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Conman wrote:Any update on your exhaust? I've been thinking about some performance mods(air intake and exhaust) and was wondering your feedback. I searched the Internet and the V8 owners love their Gibson cause it's not too loud but does add some nice sound. Is the system still rattling? If you could do it again, would you get it or something else? Thanks.

Cheers,

Con
No update really. They sent me a new tailpipe without any hassle (good customer service), but I still have never put it on. The rear add-a-leaf increased the spring arch and took away the spring bumping. (A shackle lift would have done the same thing.) The body lift moved away the fender sheetmetal, so no more bump there. So after those mods, no more bumping.

So bottom line, if you have a stock Crew, don't buy the Gibson. If you have done the body lift and something with your rear springs, then maybe. But I'm not impressed with the sound or performance. I would NOT do it again. I'd do a 3" Flowmaster (probably 50 series Delta flow) and have a custom exhaust put on. That way no chance of bumping, and you get to see it and have an opinion on routing.

Actually, I may do a temporary pipe off the cat (no muffler) and do a straight NASCAR type side discharge in front of the rear wheel, and see what it sounds like. I ran it in the garage with no muffler when I did the Gibson swap and it was not at all loud with no pipe or muffler.

INTAKE is no question - IMHO, get the FIPK 2 immediately before any exhaust mod. It's terrific!!!!!!!
smaney1
Regular
Regular

GIBSON

Post by smaney1 »

Mike H. wrote:
NTXCrew wrote:Because of $$$ I'm deciding between the Gibson exhaust system and the K&N FIPK Gen II. What do ya'll think I should do first?

Well, having both, I would DEFINITELY say the K&N FIPK Gen 2, no doubt. Much more noticable power difference than the exhaust.

I'm a little upset with the Gibson right now (day 1). A few rattles due to very close tolerances. I'll have to adjust it a bit this weekend. It may be a tad bit short. It is VERY close to the frame, spring and shock in the wheel area and the sheet metal behind the tire. I may end up regretting the amount of "adjusting" I have to do. I'll keep you posted.

I'm certainly not yet ready to "recommend" it to anybody. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: After much adjusting, my rear tailpipe simply does NOT fit. I called Gibson and e-mailed many pictures to them. They are sending me a new pipe. They said they have only had one previous complaint, at that truck didn't have the Z85 suspension. (I thought all the Crews had Z85.) All the pipes they had on the shelf fit their mock-up. Apparently they only tested the system on a 2001 truck. They are trying to get ahold of a 2002 to do a test. Should be the same though I would think. I'll update again when I get the new pipe.

I'm glad I decided to check back in on the site.... Here goes: I think I'm the guy with the original catback complaint: I wrestled with the same issue first 6 mo. of this year.... I also have a spare tail pipe in my garage but have not yet exchanged (it looks the same....). I have not het figured out how to adjust it.... Seems like a choice between the leaf spring banging under load or banging on the fender all the time... Not happy with this choice... Just haven't had the time to deal with GIBSON.... My next step is to ask GIBSON for a finisher that has a slight bend so it goes straight down... This way I will not have any friction unlesss under full load in the bed (I'll twist the tailpipe to favor rubbing the fender instead of the leaf)... Feel free to email me with questions...
[size=75]'03 S-10 Crew Blue

opts: locking 3.73, on/off road tires (to be replaced), mods: Gibson stainless exhaust, TYC tails, clear fronts, bed extender, for daughter (elmo vanity plate, rear cupholder), planned: 18's and/or bigger tires, flame accents, wheel spacers, tonneau, ...[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

See, it pays to check in occasionally. It would have helped me to not spend $260 on junk :lol: Ouch - You got the stainless, so you got shafted for more $$$ than I did.

I put on an add-a-leaf which keeps the springs from hitting the pipe, and allowed me to rotate the pipe to where it does not hit the sheetmetal. The Daystar shackles would also do the same thing.

Did you also experience NO additional gas mileage or felt power gains? I sure didn't.

Mine is coming off soon.....
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

I did flowmaster 50 on my s10 with custom cat back and was very pleased with it. Gibson is from what I read, ... makes more of their power in the lower RPM's... where flows make them higher. I was very very happy with the sound of the 50 and the power increase as well. Never looked back after the install... Sorry you've had a bad experiance with gibson,.. they are suppost to be pretty good.

Ony my new Silverado, I installed the Flowmaster cat-back system and just love it. I did loose a little low end torque,.. but got that back with the programmer. I've been very pleased with it as well. My next purchase is gonna be gibson headers which I heard are great/easy to install and pick up more low end torque for towing.

Again hope things smooth out for ya... I know how it feels when you do a mod, and get nothing but frustrated from it.

Good luck

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Steven wrote:I did flowmaster 50 on my s10 with custom cat back and was very pleased with it. Gibson is from what I read, ... makes more of their power in the lower RPM's... where flows make them higher. I was very very happy with the sound of the 50 and the power increase as well. Never looked back after the install... Sorry you've had a bad experiance with gibson,.. they are suppost to be pretty good.

Ony my new Silverado, I installed the Flowmaster cat-back system and just love it. I did loose a little low end torque,.. but got that back with the programmer. I've been very pleased with it as well. My next purchase is gonna be gibson headers which I heard are great/easy to install and pick up more low end torque for towing.

Again hope things smooth out for ya... I know how it feels when you do a mod, and get nothing but frustrated from it.

Good luck

Steven

What kind of sound did you get? V8 rumble? I'm looking for something like that but I'm worried about it being too loud though.

Thanks,

Con
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

lol While I was down in florida this past week I took my buddies LS1 Firebird out for a spin -- he's got a powered cutout installed just before his muffler.

Standing on the throttle with no mufflers sounded wicked -- I want that for my truck--but can't afford the LS1 conversion.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

adrenalnjunky wrote:lol While I was down in florida this past week I took my buddies LS1 Firebird out for a spin -- he's got a powered cutout installed just before his muffler.

Standing on the throttle with no mufflers sounded wicked -- I want that for my truck--but can't afford the LS1 conversion.

You can still do the powered cutout...I just did and it sounds pretty good. Not an LS1, but still pretty good.

I used to have it on my LS1 Z28 also. Scared the pants off the ricers at the push of a button. :D :lol:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Well, I removed my worst "investment" this evening. The Gibson is slated for the trash, unless somebody wants it. (Free - you pay the shipping, or come by and get it.)

I went back with the OEM tailpipe, which doesn't hit everything under the truck like the Gibson. Tomorrow I will weld in a spool piece of pipe where the muffler was, and let you know how it sounds. If it is too loud "mufflerless", I will cut in a Flowmaster later.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Mike H. wrote: If it is too loud "mufflerless", I will cut in a Flowmaster later.

Will that pass inspection in FL? Just curious.
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

NTXCrew wrote:
Mike H. wrote: If it is too loud "mufflerless", I will cut in a Flowmaster later.

What inspection? We don't have those bothersome things. :)
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Mike H. wrote:
NTXCrew wrote:

What inspection? We don't have those bothersome things. :)

Seriously???? Are ya'll the Anti-CA?
-Jim
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

NTXCrew wrote:Seriously???? Are ya'll the Anti-CA?
It is conservative here. We abandoned inspections many years ago in favor of increased spending against drunk driving. Many more lives saved!

Now if we can just make our air bad enough, the retirees will stop moving down here. :lol:
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

and all those guys named Chad...........
-Jim
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Mike H. wrote:Well, I removed my worst "investment" this evening. The Gibson is slated for the trash, unless somebody wants it. (Free - you pay the shipping, or come by and get it.)

I went back with the OEM tailpipe, which doesn't hit everything under the truck like the Gibson. Tomorrow I will weld in a spool piece of pipe where the muffler was, and let you know how it sounds. If it is too loud "mufflerless", I will cut in a Flowmaster later.

Put it on ebay. I think someone else will think it's better than stock. I think you just wanted something "meaner" sounding.

Good Luck,

Con
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I'm not doubting what any of ya'll are saying about the cat-back (After all, I'm not the one with the personal experience here), but I guess I just find it hard to believe that in the year 2003 a reputable manufacturer such as Gibson has produced something with poor, poor fit. :?: And it's not like they can say, "Well, it's really designed for an extended cab S-10, so that's why you're having problems." They market this part no.'d kit specifically for our trucks. We should write our Congressmen and women.! :x
-Jim
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

NTXCrew wrote:I'm not doubting what any of ya'll are saying about the cat-back (After all, I'm not the one with the personal experience here), but I guess I just find it hard to believe that in the year 2003 a reputable manufacturer such as Gibson has produced something with poor, poor fit. :?: And it's not like they can say, "Well, it's really designed for an extended cab S-10, so that's why you're having problems." They market this part no.'d kit specifically for our trucks. We should write our Congressmen and women.! :x

I'll give it to you for free - just pay the shipping. I have a brand new Gibson tailpipe they sent to replace the original. It looks exactly the same and will likely have the same problem. You'd have a Gibson muffler with maybe 2,500 miles on it, and a brand new Gibson tailpipe that will hit your spring unless you do an add-a-leaf or shackle lift. And sometimes hit the frame and the bump stop support on really hard bumps.

It is nothing like the OEM pipe. It looks like Gibson limited each bend to 45 degrees max. That is not enough to snake it over the axle, between the spring and frame, and between the spring and fender sheetmetal.

Free to a good home, let me know.