Air shock question/ opinions

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mattfu
Crew
Crew

Air shock question/ opinions

Post by mattfu »

ive got another one guys, i am holding out on the bilsteins as i love the air shock principal, here in the north the temp can easily get to -40 celcius in the winter, i know people who have air bags on low riders and the air supplied to the bags in winter contains alot of water as the dewpoint of the air changes with temperature. I have heard of air bags then freezing and being completely destroyed by the ice. most guys just dont drive 'bagged trucks in the cold, but some have expensive compressors with air driers to provide dry air. but these are not a guarantee im told as some still get water and ice in the bags. Do any of you with experience with air shocks see this being a problem? are the flexible portions of the shock protected by anything? is there any way to install a drain or automatic blowdown to blow water from the shock? any opinion are welcome, i would hate to install them then find them split open on a very cold day. thx
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

No real answers from me here, but you can get some air line dryers from a painting store that just screw onto the air line. They are cheap and easy to use. Might be worth it just to get a pack (comes with two or three) and use it when filling the bags.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I ran Gabriel Hijacker's for years here in Maryland winters. I never had a bit of trouble with water affecting the shocks.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Doesn't get that cold that often down here, but I've had airshocks on the Xtreme for several years (3 or 4 now) with several cold winters, and no problems.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]