Skid Plates are on!

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Skid Plates are on!

Post by AZS10Crew »

Got my skid plates from GMPartsDirect today. Took me about 45 minutes to install them. They fit perfect...no problems. The front shield was aluminum and the engine shield was carbon fiber. It looks to be pretty stout material though...about 2" thick...so I think it will do fine for the amount of stress I put the truck through. The passenger side bracket bolt was barely long enough with the bracket on. The bolt provided with the bracket was more than long enough, but wouldn't go on due to the oil pan clearance with the bolt hole. I suppose i could have maybe installed it the other way around, but I figured I'd better put it back together the way it was.

Anyway...good stuff and got here within a week. Now I'm all ready to hit the trails again! :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb: I kept expecting to see a post about the rock that cracked your oil pan, knocking and a seized engine :shock:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote::thumb: I kept expecting to see a post about the rock that cracked your oil pan, knocking and a seized engine :shock:

Sorry to disappoint you...but I am now well protected. :D 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Skid Plates are on!

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:The bolt provided with the bracket was more than long enough, but wouldn't go on due to the oil pan clearance with the bolt hole. I suppose i could have maybe installed it the other way around, but I figured I'd better put it back together the way it was.

Anyway...good stuff and got here within a week. Now I'm all ready to hit the trails again! :D

:shock:

so are you telling me that you put the short one back one????? :shock:

in case you didnt know. my short bolt fell out and i lost the bracket and everything. i went to a autoparts place and got a bolt that fit perfect. it doesnt have to be threaded a certain way, just the right size. i am pretty sure that the head of the bolt faces the oil pan. i would get a new bolt in their asap. :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

oh and BTW, you will use the transfer case sheild the most out of all of them cuz of the terrible break over angle. so if you dont have that one, then put that next on your list of mods.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'll swap in the longer bolt when I get home tonight. I tried putting it in with the head of the bolt toward the oil pan, but it was too long. I guess I'll try it the other way tonight.

Transfer case shield will be next. Not sure how soon...but it's definitely on the list. :)
[size=75]Mark
TNC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TNC »

:thumb: Cool... still lookin in the salvage yards when I get the chance if I find the T-case shield I'll let you know where it is...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

I'll be checking the salvage yards in the area thursday and friday for some plates.....would older model S10 plates fit on our crew cabs?(82-93) Or is it just the 94-03 extended cab 4x4 or just 4x4??? Thanks
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

a2b wrote:oh and BTW, you will use the transfer case sheild the most out of all of them cuz of the terrible break over angle. so if you dont have that one, then put that next on your list of mods.

That's the one I hit. I got already got scratches over the old scratches, cause it was used one when I got it. Works great! I got the aluminum one.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:
a2b wrote:oh and BTW, you will use the transfer case sheild the most out of all of them cuz of the terrible break over angle. so if you dont have that one, then put that next on your list of mods.

That's the one I hit. I got already got scratches over the old scratches, cause it was used one when I got it. Works great! I got the aluminum one.

ya i want the aluminum one. i have ripped the composite one up real bad. its weak now
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

I'll be checking the salvage yards in the area thursday and friday for some plates.....would older model S10 plates fit on our crew cabs?(82-93) Or is it just the 94-03 extended cab 4x4 or just 4x4??? Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out this Thread for some good pictures of what you are looking for.

Here is another good place to start ;) Used skid plates what to look for
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

Thanks cheking into it
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

Do you guys think this would fit???it's from an 88 4Wd S10 Blazer
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Access forbidden :twisted: If it is the 1988 T.case shield or front w/o oil door , I'd say NO.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

it's the transfer case plate ....damn it looks pretty much like the one i saw in the links for our trucks....except that it's black....lol well i'll see tomorrow. After Work i'm bringing out my tools and going to a scrap yard to see if i can't find any plates....i'll probably only find old version s10(82-93) At least i'll try fitting there plates on my truck;) my brother is a welder so i know where i'll be heading if a can't make them fit myself;)...lol And i'll have to buy the front skid plate because of the damn access door for the oil filter :x Unless i order the skid plate package...but it's all composite right :? i don't know if it would be worth it...my mind would be more at ease with metal skid plate under the truck than composite ones.... :wink:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I know for a fact that if you use the front shield part # from the mod info page you'll get an aluminum front shield...that's what I got anyway. The oil pan shield was composite though.

I'd bet the farm on an aluminum front shield coming with the package too. :D
[size=75]Mark
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:I know for a fact that if you use the front shield part # from the mod info page you'll get an aluminum front shield...that's what I got anyway. The oil pan shield was composite though.

I'd bet the farm on an aluminum front shield coming with the package too. :D

hang on their cowboy :lol: dont bet the farm yet.

i got the aluminum one too with the same part number from gmparts.com

but john in dallas orderd from the dealer the same part number and got composite, he sent it back and they tried again but got composite.

all s-10's front shields after 98 are all composite. no aluminum shields were stock after 1998
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Weird...that's what you get for ordering from the dealership I guess. :D
[size=75]Mark
TNC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TNC »

christian wrote:Image

Do you guys think this would fit???it's from an 88 4Wd S10 Blazer

NO that one will not work! It's 18 3/4 from the tranny bolts to the other mounting bolts and the inddedon't line up. Mark (AZS10CREW) and I found several of them around the PHX area and they are a no go... Well I guess you could get them to fit with enough beating and cutting :wink:
2002 S-10 Crew Cab