This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Skid Plate Package

Post by a2b »

okay, i got an email from a s-10 owner. he claimed that this part number

got you all the sheilds but the gas tank sheild (which is in less danger anyways)

if you put it in at gmpartsdirect.com, it say sheild package. i assume thats all 3

so anyone want to order it and confirm this for us?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

Usually you are the guinea pig, so I don't see why it should be any different this time. :lol:

Dave
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Skid Plate Package

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:okay, i got an email from a s-10 owner. he claimed that this part number

got you all the sheilds but the gas tank sheild (which is in less danger anyways)

if you put it in at gmpartsdirect.com, it say sheild package. i assume thats all 3

It just said Shield for me. $146 was the cost. Do you think it came with all the bolts and brackets? If someone can confirm I'll be the Pig.

Cheers,

Con

P.S. Yeah the site is back up!
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

I want to install some shields but don't have the time, or desire, to search salvage yards. If anyone can confirm this shield package has everything then I want one. The price seems too cheap for all the shields? :?:

I was out scouting for the upcoming bird hunting season a couple of weeks ago and hit a rock pretty good with the front under carriage. Not sure what was hit but I did not like the thought of breaking the oil pan! I did manage to puncture the sidewall on a front tire. Hit something sharp. I thik it was a piece of a woods/branch fron a dead bush I got too close to. The tire went flat imediately. :twisted:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

That could be all three skid plates. Probably not the brackets and mounting hardware though. When I got my front shield and engine shield, just the skid plates alone were about $80 I think...and I think the price for the third one was around $60, so $143 for all three sounds about right.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes it comes with the engine sheild brackets.

thats the reason he emailed me. cuz the engine sheild bolt that they send you is too long for the passenger side, you have to get your own bolt. its real easy cuz it doesnt matter what thread it is
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:yes it comes with the engine sheild brackets.

thats the reason he emailed me. cuz the engine sheild bolt that they send you is too long for the passenger side, you have to get your own bolt. its real easy cuz it doesnt matter what thread it is

Did he have a crew cab? When I get home, looks like I need to make an order.......
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:yes it comes with the engine sheild brackets.

Do you have his email address? I want to know if it was metal or the composite and ask him for some pics if he's got any before I order.

Cheers,

Con
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

I'm with you Conman. If it will fit a Crew (I also have a 2002) and it comes with all brackets then I want it. I would prefer the metal ones but composite will work. Let me/us know what you find out. Thanks for your input as well A2B............ :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hmmm...it almost sounds too good to be true?!?

$143 is less than half of the list price separately.

Are you sure it isn't just the Front (engine) Diff. shield package? Sounds like about what the parts added up list for, ($134.76)

If you add up the list prices on the mod page it comes to $306.84 individually and that doesn't include the bolts for the T.case shield.

Sorry if I sound a bit skeptical, but I would like to see a complete parts list of what is included. Aluminum or composite it would be a great deal at that price.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I thought the same thing you did Brule...but when you plug the part numbers into gmpartsdirect.com, it shows a list price and then a sale price. That's the way it was when I ordered mine from them anyway.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
christian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by christian »

i'd be skeptical too sounds too good to be true.....any info though if someone has ordered the part???
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I'd volunteer as the "Guinea Pig" but I've already spent way too much on my truck recently (and the wife doesn't know about half of it - yet). I just ordered my Hypertech programmer but the skid plates are next on the list. Maybe in another month or two?
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

Hobie what's the deal man, you aren't going to let us down are you? Just order it...
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Hobie.... where are you......? I'll order it if I can get more info. Anyone know how we can cross-ref. this part number to what's included? Anyone have a nice Parts person at their dealer?

Con
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

AZS10Crew,

Are you saying you ordered the skid shield package from GMPartsDirect, which is supposed to include all the shield and hardware, that Hobie described in his first post? If so let us know what you get. When did ya order them?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Black03ZR5 wrote:Hobie what's the deal man, you aren't going to let us down are you? Just order it...

dude, i have had all mine for years and the gas tank

no, he had a blazer nonz

but same sheilds.

and yes, i am wondering too if the transfer case sheild is included. he hasnt emailed me back yet. either way, for those of you who off road and dont have junk yards near by, you need the front 2 sheilds anyways. just if you need them just order it.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

and i am sure they are composites
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll see if I can get a parts description, from Bob at GM.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Socaldave wrote:AZS10Crew,

Are you saying you ordered the skid shield package from GMPartsDirect, which is supposed to include all the shield and hardware, that Hobie described in his first post? If so let us know what you get. When did ya order them?

No...I just ordered the parts individually using the part numbers from the mod info page here. The kit seems right to me though because the price pretty much matches the totals for the parts separately. it would still be better to check with someone at GM to see what the kit includes though.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, I got a print out for the package:

PART#

USAGE

T1

DESCRIPTION

SHIELD PKG, U/B (INCLS STRG LNKG,DIFF CARR & TRFER CASE SHIELDS,FASTNERS & INST SHT;F/TNK SHLD MUST BE ORDERED SEPARATELY) (INSTALL 1.0) (05.500)

YEAR

98-01

QTY

DIVISION

C O G

Looks like it is indeed a reality! The parts guy said it would , more than likely be the composite shields.

I asked him about the big difference in price , and he said that the package deals are usually pretty good. BTW List price is $209

:thumb: Good find Hobie!
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed May 07, 2003 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The front shield will probably be aluminum...the engine and t-case shields will probably be composite though.
[size=75]Mark
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

so you are saying that it is all 3 sheilds?!!!! wow. thats a good deal. and on GMpartsdirect.com its only 146!!!! :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:OK, I got a print out for the package:

PART#

USAGE

T1

DESCRIPTION

SHIELD PKG, U/B (INCLS STRG LNKG,DIFF CARR & TRFER CASE SHIELDS,FASTNERS & INST SHT;F/TNK SHLD MUST BE ORDERED SEPARATELY) (INSTALL 1.0) (05.500)

YEAR

98-01

QTY

DIVISION

C O G

Looks like it is indeed a reality! The parts guy said it would , more than likely be the composite shields.

I asked him about the big difference in price , and he said that the package deals are usually pretty good. BTW List price is $209

:thumb: Good find Hobie!

Thanks for the info. Just one more question before I order(probably should have ask you before you saw your GM contact). Did he have a ref. to the gas tank shield and brackets? IIRC, I have a shield but it's plastic(not composite looking). My front skidplate is plastic as well. I figure I would order everything at once(plus the missing wheel nut). Since I'm probably going to order from GMpartsdirect.com, you guys got a part number for factory style locking wheel locks(aka locks that work with the plastic covers)? I know the other place had them but I figure I'd just order everything at once. Thanks.

BTW, my guess is all them will be composite(including the front shield) as it would be strange to not package it that way. But we could get lucky at get a alum. front shield(and maybe the rest).
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i want aluminum too but they will be composite.

hmmm, i dont know of a part number for the gas tank. brule and i are the only ones i know that even have one. and we got ours off s-10's and then had to modify a bracket. so good luck!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

just checked the chevy.com website and it does say that there is an option for skidplates for the standard and extended cab. But

From Chevy.com:

http://www.chevrolet.com/s10/library/fs ... htm#engine

"Skid plates:

ñ Shield Package (4x4 only): includes front differential carrier, transfer case, fuel tank and steering linkage composite skid plates." (Note is says Composite)

Says optional only for standard and extended cab. I wonder why since it appears to fit with only one bolt change, that they don't offer it for the Crew?

Con
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Ok, call me the Guinea Pig on this one. I just ordered the kit based on that number from gmpartdirect. Oh, also call me DEAD when the wife finds out how much I've spent on everything so far!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dear DEAD,

I hope you have been practicing the different justifications for the expenses you have incurred.

P.S. Does the couch in the garage fold out into a bed? :roflmao:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:Dear DEAD,

I hope you have been practicing the different justifications for the expenses you have incurred.

P.S. Does the couch in the garage fold out into a bed? :roflmao:

Well, like I mentioned in another post once upon a time, I also own an old VW Camper which makes a fairly comfortable "Dog House" for such situations. And yes, I've had to sleep in it once in a while. See what I go through for this board?
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Hey GaryH, what year is your Crew? Let us all know what was included in the shield kit when ya get it.

One more thing. How much was it and how much were shipping charges?

remember you can edit your posts-HJ :D
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Just tell her "Would you rather I spend $150 on skid plates now or $2000 on a transfer case, etc. when I drop the truck down on a rock." That works too. :D
[size=75]Mark
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

AZS10Crew wrote:Just tell her "Would you rather I spend $150 on skid plates now or $2000 on a transfer case, etc. when I drop the truck down on a rock." That works too. :D

Actually, she would rather I never took it off road but she hates to see me sulk when she takes my toys away! :lol:

Oh and to answer Socaldave's question, I have a 2002. Here's the "cut and paste" from the online receipt:

Category: All

Description: SHIELD

Min.Qty: 1

Unit Price: $146.30

Quantity: 1

Ext.Price: $146.30

Core Charge: $0.00

SUB TOTAL: $146.30

SHIPPING: $29.26

TAX: $0.00

TOTAL WITH TAXES: $175.56

Not too bad really. And honestly, the part about my wife killing me is really a joke. She is a major league book nut and if you saw the "library" we have in our house, well anyway, she doesn't mind me spending a little money on my truck once in a while. It's just that the last month I spent a LOT of money on my truck!
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Let us know how it goes. This gives me time to let my CC cool down. ;) I just bought a new laptop for my wife and bought some folding ramps to load the bed with my dirtbike. She will be happy with the new laptop, it might distract her enough to order the shields, BL, and new wheels...... 8)

Good Luck,

Con
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Conman wrote:Let us know how it goes. This gives me time to let my CC cool down. ;) I just bought a new laptop for my wife and bought some folding ramps to load the bed with my dirtbike. She will be happy with the new laptop, it might distract her enough to order the shields, BL, and new wheels...... 8)

Good Luck,

Con

Yeah, I did that trick last year. Bought the wife a new computer with all the bells and whistles. And while she was having fun with that (and thoroughly distracted) I bought some new tools for the garage, some new stuff for my computer, some new stuff for the yard..... :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, the skid plate(s) are on the way. Should be here Monday so I guess we'll see just what comes with it and what doesn't. Sure did take a while just to process the order though.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

GaryH wrote:Well, the skid plate(s) are on the way. Should be here Monday so I guess we'll see just what comes with it and what doesn't. Sure did take a while just to process the order though.

sweet, you will be soooooo better protected now. i need a transfer case sheild, but i am going to get an aluminum one this time
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

a2b wrote:
GaryH wrote:Well, the skid plate(s) are on the way. Should be here Monday so I guess we'll see just what comes with it and what doesn't. Sure did take a while just to process the order though.

sweet, you will be soooooo better protected now. i need a transfer case sheild, but i am going to get an aluminum one this time

Given a choice, I would have preferred steel but the choice wasn't there. I figure even the composite ones are better than nothing! From what I've heard that you put your's through, I'd say the composite shields hold up pretty well though! :roll:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

some say the composites are stronger, but what i can tell is.....if the composite one gives in under pressure, it pops right back out to original shape while the aluminum one is bent into a new shape, which could be a bad thing. either way, they both get weaker and weaker if they get to that point. my composite one ripped where the hump is, where the alumnimum one would just bend, and i could hammer it out if i wanted too. so the aluminum one does last longer
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I had a '53 Willy's Jeep years ago that had these big old massive steel plates under it. They were totally indestructable. Of course pretty much everything on that truck was indestructable! I may someday get someone to make a couple of heavy steel plates like that for my CC. Of course someday "you know where" will freeze over and then I'd better get busy because I'll have a lot of things to do! :roll:
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

GaryH,

Did ya get the skid plate package yet? Installed yet?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Ok Folks, get those credit cards ready! I got the skid plates today and it looks like the entire set, brackets, bolts and all. The only thing I wasn't too wild about is the transfer case plate is composite but otherwise it's all there.

Quickbiker told me that you can use the aluminum one from a 1st gen blazer and I just happen to know where there is one sitting in a junk yard so that's my next mission.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The transfercase shield off a first gen will NOT work!

If you really want to try I'll let you have the one sitting in front of my garage for the cost of shipping.

"Been there done that"

The hole spacing is wrong and our transfercase sits a little lower from the crossmember.

Believe me I tried several times to get it to fit, before I ordered a composite one. Then came across an aluminum one from a second gen s-series later and sold my composite.

If you are looking check the hole spacing, the one you need measures about 16 3/4? the first gen shields measure 17 1/2+ and the pocket is too shallow. They do look pretty close, but not close enough.

There is a set of mirror polished ones for sale on ZR2.com :1998 Mirror polished Aluminum Skidplates

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Now that I see the pic, I don't know that those will work. That metal one at the bottom is supposed to be the engine shield right? The one I ordered was composite and didn't really look anything like that. I think the mounting holes look like they're in different places too.
[size=75]Mark
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The seller thinks it came from a blazer. I thought that they never made aluminum ones for the 2nd gen. Dunno. I thought it was from a 1st gen. I never saw what it came off of though.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

AZS10Crew wrote:Now that I see the pic, I don't know that those will work. That metal one at the bottom is supposed to be the engine shield right? The one I ordered was composite and didn't really look anything like that. I think the mounting holes look like they're in different places too.

Uh oh. Please don't tell me that the parts I ordered were the wrong ones! I haven't had the chance to try anything yet. Oh, suddenly I feel sick. :(

(Quick Edit a few minutes later)

Ok, I test fitted the shields and everything lines up and looks right. Man, y'all had me scared for a minute there! :shock:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Well...if everything fits...then I guess you're good to go.

That sucks that when I ordered my engine shield individually, I got a composite one, but when you ordered it as a part of the package deal, you get an aluminum one. That ticks me off! :x :twisted: Stupid GM!
[size=75]Mark
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

For what it's worth, seems most people here think the T-case shield is the most important (at least from what I've read) and mine is composite. To hold that thing, look at it, try to bend it, etc, seems like it won't shield much of anything to me. I really want an aluminum one. Actually, what I really want is steel but I don't think anyone makes one and I don't have the resources to make my own.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The composite ones are actually stronger than steel. Only thing is when they reach their "fail point" they break and shatter instead of bend.
[size=75]Mark
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

All I know is the steel plates I had under my old Willy's Jeep would support the weight of the entire vehicle (this was a 3600lb "Utility Wagon", not a CJ2). I just can't see this composite thing holding up as well, but I guess I could be wrong. I'll bolt it on (next time my 3 year old takes a nap and I have some time to myself) and see how it does.
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

GaryH,

Let us know if they bolt on and fit. I am waiting to order mine when I hear they worked.... :D

Thanks
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Wow, I can't believe some of them are metal. Looks like my CC is burning a hole in my wallet!

Cheers,

Con

P.S. Glad the site is back up!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll put the plates on. I've already test fitted them and everything lines up, bolt holes and all. I'm sure they will work. Of course if the weather is nice, I may be out mowing/playing with my new garden tractor/toy. :)
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

gary, if you havent read already, the passenger side bolt for the engine bracket that they sent to you will be too long to fit in there. but the stock one is too short. (you can put the short one on for now, but i recommend you go to the hardware store and get another one, mine fell out) so FYI on that one
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

a2b wrote:gary, if you havent read already, the passenger side bolt for the engine bracket that they sent to you will be too long to fit in there. but the stock one is too short. (you can put the short one on for now, but i recommend you go to the hardware store and get another one, mine fell out) so FYI on that one

Thanks! I know I read something about it but don't totally understand just exactly which bolt. It figures they would put the wrong one in the package though!
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Looking at the shields, I can't believe how large the transfercase shield. I looks like it protects more than the transfer case. Very cool. These sheilds should have been standard on all 4wds! Period!

Cheers,

Con
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

a2b wrote:gary, if you havent read already, the passenger side bolt for the engine bracket that they sent to you will be too long to fit in there. but the stock one is too short. (you can put the short one on for now, but i recommend you go to the hardware store and get another one, mine fell out) so FYI on that one

Ok, I got the skid plates on, everything fits fine, and I used the bolts that came with the engine/differential plate. What happens with the passenger side bolt is it hits the oil pan preventing the bolt from going into the hole. My solution: One dang big pry bar and very careful prying against the side of the oil pan. It takes nerves of steel (or in my case about 5 Budweisers) to pry against that cast aluminum oil pan but it doesn't have to move very far to get the bolt in and the motor mounts have plenty of flex.

I'd take pics of the finished install but my hands are still so filthy I don't want to touch my camera. Besides, Hobie's already got them on the mod page and mine don't look any different.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Nothing like a little "liquid courage" to get the job done. :D :lol:
[size=75]Mark
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, I'll admit I was still sweating it. I kept waiting for the dreaded "crack" sound followed by a 5W-30 shower. It really didn't take much effort though. The oil pan only had to move no more than 1/4" for the bolt to go in. The motor mounts let things flex pretty good. I rather imagine the dealer would do the same thing when they install them. Of course if the dealer breaks the pan, they can afford to replace it. I, on the other hand, would be without transportation for a couple of paychecks!
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

GaryH wrote:Well, I'll admit I was still sweating it. I kept waiting for the dreaded "crack" sound followed by a 5W-30 shower. It really didn't take much effort though. The oil pan only had to move no more than 1/4" for the bolt to go in. The motor mounts let things flex pretty good. I rather imagine the dealer would do the same thing when they install them. Of course if the dealer breaks the pan, they can afford to replace it. I, on the other hand, would be without transportation for a couple of paychecks!

ya and you dont want those motor mounts to break. they are too freaking hard to replace and the dealer will charge you a fortune to do it
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

a2b wrote:
GaryH wrote:Well, I'll admit I was still sweating it. I kept waiting for the dreaded "crack" sound followed by a 5W-30 shower. It really didn't take much effort though. The oil pan only had to move no more than 1/4" for the bolt to go in. The motor mounts let things flex pretty good. I rather imagine the dealer would do the same thing when they install them. Of course if the dealer breaks the pan, they can afford to replace it. I, on the other hand, would be without transportation for a couple of paychecks!

ya and you dont want those motor mounts to break. they are too freaking hard to replace and the dealer will charge you a fortune to do it

I wasn't prying on things that hard! :lol: I know what you mean about the mounts though. There isn't a lot of room to work on anything on our trucks.

One thing I'm curious about. Why no plate for the tranny? We've got the front diff and oil pan as well as the t-case covered but here's the pan for the auto tranny just hangin' out there. Seems a rock would make an awful mess out of the pan and valve body! :shock: Granted it's tucked up in there a little bit but it still seems vulnerable.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya if you stratel a good rock, you could hit it. but i have only come close to it once. i knocked the exhaust pipe off right in front of it instead. whooo. but i know what you mean
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

If I ever get the chance to take this thing off road, I guess I'll find out what hits! I got the tires and wheels, skid plates, grill guard (Ok, that last one was more for looks!). Now I just need a trail! Jeez, all dressed up and no place to go! :(
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Skid Plate Package

Post by Conman »

a2b wrote:okay, i got an email from a s-10 owner. he claimed that this part number

Quick look at GMPartsDirect.com I found they did list the skid plate package above in the accesories section for S10s. I also noticed they list this part number for the Fuel Tank Skid Plate: 12495667 Fuel Tank Shield Their Price $76.30 Do you think this will have all the parts needed to install it? Thanks.

Cheers,

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i have no idea if it will come with everything. i would imagine it would
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

GaryH wrote:Ok Folks, get those credit cards ready! I got the skid plates today and it looks like the entire set, brackets, bolts and all. The only thing I wasn't too wild about is the transfer case plate is composite but otherwise it's all there.

Quickbiker told me that you can use the aluminum one from a 1st gen blazer and I just happen to know where there is one sitting in a junk yard so that's my next mission.

Got my skids today. They were drop shipped from GM BTW. Exactly the same thing, two metal and the transfer was composite. One weekend I'll get to this...........

Con
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

That prying the engine over to get the bolt too fit seems kinda risky to me. Why not just cut the bolt down so it fits? After a few months of rubbing/banging against the bolt on the side of the oil pan you could be in for a big suprise going down the higway when your engine seizes due to a hole in your oil pan.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Dragonmaster wrote:That prying the engine over to get the bolt too fit seems kinda risky to me. Why not just cut the bolt down so it fits? After a few months of rubbing/banging against the bolt on the side of the oil pan you could be in for a big suprise going down the higway when your engine seizes due to a hole in your oil pan.

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to just get a new bolt but I might cut it down as I have a bench grinder anyway.

Con
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Dragonmaster wrote:That prying the engine over to get the bolt too fit seems kinda risky to me. Why not just cut the bolt down so it fits? After a few months of rubbing/banging against the bolt on the side of the oil pan you could be in for a big suprise going down the higway when your engine seizes due to a hole in your oil pan.

it doesnt lie up against it. it only rubs when you put it in. personally i just went a got a bolt that fit
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

:D Ok guys, just ordered my set Friday. How long did it take for each of you to receive yours. I cant wait to get them. My wife got to drive my truck a few weeks ago for the first time, and hit a dog that ran out in front of her :( . It broke the cheap plastic skid plate in the front. I had started on a diamond plate one quite ahwile ago, however have not had time to work on it lately. I still plan on finishing it, but need something in the mean time.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

whoa!! ease up on the triple post Jeff :P :alert:
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

There is a problem with posting it appears. I got my skids in three days. Drop shipped directly from GM it appears. You will be happy when you see how thick the skid plates are.

Con
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

After a year of lurking and gaining lots of useful knowledge from this site, I thought I would join. :D

I ordered this skid plate package a couple of weeks ago and got them put on over the weekend. These things are great. They should be standard equipment on all 4x4s. Installation was a breeze with the exception of the bolt for the passenger side bracket. GaryH said he used "One dang big pry bar and very careful prying against the side of the oil pan". I did the same and it went in fine.

Now I just need to find some trails around here.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Mine are still in the box....... :oops:
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Mine are still in the box....... :oops:
Get em on... :wink: They are to nice to sit in the box. Installation took about 30-45 min. I was taking my sweet time.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Retep wrote:After a year of lurking and gaining lots of useful knowledge from this site, I thought I would join. :D

I ordered this skid plate package a couple of weeks ago and got them put on over the weekend. These things are great. They should be standard equipment on all 4x4s. Installation was a breeze with the exception of the bolt for the passenger side bracket. GaryH said he used "One dang big pry bar and very careful prying against the side of the oil pan". I did the same and it went in fine.

Now I just need to find some trails around here.

Pete
Uh, I also said it took about 5 Budweisers! :lol: I tend to become very brave when I've had a few. Sometimes a little too brave.

Now I need to find a similar skidplate package for my '87 S10 Blazer 4x4. I didn't come with any either. Of course first I need to put another motor in it or there will be no 4wheelin' and no need for skidplates!