Modifying shift points

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Modifying shift points

Post by quickbiker »

OK, how is this done, anybody has link resources? I know highroller mentioned he may do it. I'd like to change the point at which it down shifts, like holding it a bit more before it does, but I want to keep the same upshift point. :?:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i thought about putting a shift kit in. would that do it?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

B&M Electronic shifter works real nice and I'd recommend it!. Makes a world of difference and installed in minutes.

Good luck

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I thought that was just for how harsh it shifts? I'll search for it. Thanks!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:I thought that was just for how harsh it shifts? I'll search for it. Thanks!

yes, steven is talking about one that tricks the computer to shifting faster or harsher or however you want to say it.

i meant a real shift kit that you have to install in the tranny
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I think that the only way to change the RPM it shifts at is with a Hypertech. Or if you're specifically interested in the downshift points, then some sort of computer reprogram would be required.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I wonder if something could be made to do what it can do in 2nd gear when selected. I don't know if anybody uses that feature, but I use allot when wheeling offroad. I'm talking about putting the gear selector in 2nd gear. If that is done, it will not downshift. I use that position when in 4 low about 80% of the time and it works great, next best thing to having a stick shifts. I have noticed though if you floor it in 2 hi, it will down shift, but that's extreme.

I just wonder if depending on how that works, could be done to overdrive. Like say hit a button when you want it to stay in overdrive without down shifting. I wonder how that 2nd gear thing works? Just a thought. :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Seems like I responded to a similar post, but it has been some time ago.

I haven't been experiencing the problems that others have when it comes to the overdrive shifting in and out (not holding long enough)

Something that comes to mind - is your speedometer correctly calibrated?

The transmission uses signals from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) as one of the factors in the shift sequence.

I am running the shift firmness setting programmed by the HPPIII.

IMO , this is no different than the push button tow mode that the fullsize trucks have.

Yes, it increases the line pressures, which is a good thing when you are towing. It allows less slip and the quicker shifts (IMO) are easier on the clutches.

It is true that a shift kit and heavyduty clutches, hardened hubs and output shaft would be the ultimate, but I'm not running a 500 HP monster under the hood. If I was I probably wouldn't be using the 4L60E.

One thing to remember is that these trucks were built with the "retired grandma" in mind and things like firm shifts, horsepower and throttle response, are not part of that equasion.

I don't think that a tire screaching shift is needed, and I am very happy with the HPPIII's shift firmness. It shifts like it should, not hard at all.

Steven used another shift improver with good success.

IMO, if your speedometer needs to be recalibrated for the increased tire size, and you are not happy with the shifting , go with the HPPIII. It is a pretty big investment, but I would not be happy driving with the mushy stock shifts again.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Superchargedcrew
Regular
Regular

Shifting

Post by Superchargedcrew »

Hello,

Yes I agree totally with Henry. I bought the hpp III and adjusted my shift firmness and shift points and it will also recalitrate speedo for different tire sizes and change speed limiter, and timing also the rev limiter. The only down side of it is, its expensive ($349)and you only can adjust one vehicle at a time and I'm trying to find a computer program that will let me put my factory config. on my home computer so I can change more trucks. But as far as down sifting you might have to take it to a gm garage for that.
Supercharged S-10 Crew Powerdyne 7psi Supercharger, K&N Filter,Air box mod, Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust crome tipped, HTPP III, A.R.E. Z Cap, Rhino Liner, Zie Bart Total Care Package, Nerf Bars, Wiper Cowl, Bug Deflector, Clear Corner Markers, HD Trans Cooler, 160* Thermostat, Red Neons in the bed, B&M Shift Improver.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'm happy with the way it shifts, just when it downshifts from overdrive. Someone mentioned recalibrating the speedo? Where is it recalibrated? Is it easy? I bet whatever is used on a stock ZR2 would work perfect since they have 3.73's and 31's.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:I'm happy with the way it shifts, just when it downshifts from overdrive. Someone mentioned recalibrating the speedo? Where is it recalibrated? Is it easy? I bet whatever is used on a stock ZR2 would work perfect since they have 3.73's and 31's.
The speedometers are electronic now. The calibration is done by flashing the PCM.

The sender is just a pulse generator and not adjustable.

I used the HPPIII to adjust mine , by adjusting the tire size, which can be done in 1/4" increments from 24" to 34". If you go beyond that you would have to use the gear ratio selection to adjust.

The dealer will use the Tech2 to do this. I'd love to have one some day, but can't justify the $3000-$5000 right now ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

oh, kewl. I will see if I can find someone that sells dat thingy.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For somewhere between $12 and $50 the dealer will adjust it for you.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Where can I buy this hppiii? I've search and come up with nothing. Thanks.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

OK, I found this which seems what you guys are talking about for a fraction of the price: http://store.summitracing.com/product.a ... htype=ecat

I am educating myself on this and would never take it to a dealer, I have many pet peeves about taking anything to any shops, I don't trust anybody but me, LOL. Anyhow, this is ony $139. And it talks about tire size changes and shifting, etc. Sounds like what I need! Yehaaaw!
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

That should work. That does just a portion of what the HPPIII does.

Try searching on eBay for "Hypertech". That should give you some results to look through.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Where can I buy this hppiii? I've search and come up with nothing. Thanks.
The companys website- Hypertech Inc.

I got mine through a ZR2.com Group Purchase for $260

The guy at TruckPerformace.com (who had the best price) was a bit of a flake, I was sent the wrong one and it took quite a while to get things straightened out. It worked out in the end though.
quickbiker wrote:OK, I found this which seems what you guys are talking about for a fraction of the price: http://store.summitracing.com/product.a ... htype=ecat
Jet makes some good stuff, but that will not alter the shift firmness. (the best part of the whole deal)

The shift points will be altered for WOT, which doesn't help much otherwise (IMO)

You could add Jet's shift improver too, but then you're getting close to the price of the HPPIII.

Another advantage to the HPPIII is no wiring, plug-flash-play. You can go back to stock in ten minutes, or adjust some more in the same amount of time.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

What about the Jetperfomance kit Part No. 750210? I can't seem to link it cause it's using a cfm within a frame. It looks like a physical mechanical thing that has springs and such. It sells for about $70 and here is what it says about it. It can be found at: http://www.jetchip.com/

I see what you are talking about, better to program it then add more electronics, but I wonder what this mechanical add on does and if it's good?

4L60-E Transperformance

Transform your stock transmission into a performer with a JET TransPerformance Kit. Designed to be the most effective, simple to install kit available.

Provides crisp, positive shifts

Reduces heat build-up

Improves towing performance

Installs without removing transmission

Eliminates slippage

Improves acceleration

Increases transmission life

Easy to follow instructions
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

OK, I see the HPPIII part # is 30008. Stop me if I am wrong. LOL
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes that is the correct part #30008

I could not find the $70 Jet spring to which you refered. They do show a PowrShift #70706 , but I think it might be geared toward the street racers.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Will this thing give me more power also? Is it easy to program? I mean, how do I know how to program it for the best mixture also? When I program, does it stay to default as long as I don't set it? I set the program, then it flashes the eprom? Can I save the factory flash to memory in case I mess it up? Full of questions. haha. I am searching and have found it for $306 so far.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I think the Jet kit you're referring to is an internal shift kit (I didn't check the site, so I'm just guessing based on your "spring" comment). Basically what internal shift kits do (I think anyway) is swap out some springs here and there, add some washers here and there, and re-route the fluid flow here and there in a transmission to make it shift firmer and more efficiently. Internal kits are most widely used in racing applications, but milder ones can also be applied to towing and everyday street applications.

I had a TransGo internal shift kit installed in my 99 Z28. It was the best thing i ever did to that car. I had it installed with maximum firmness because I liked to take it to the drag strip once in a while. It shifted VERY solid. It would bark the tires on any 1-2 shift over 2500 RPM. Very fun! :thumb: While something this harsh would not be for your application, there were other options for the TransGo. While the kit as a whole was the same, the installation was different depending on how firm you wanted the shifts. Stage I (install most of the kit and one washer) was barely noticeable...Stage II (same but 2 washers) was firm, but not whiplash firm, and quicker...Stage III (what I had installed, 3 washers) was very harsh...tires chirping and neck snapping all the time. The kit also comes with an install video for the do-it-yourselfer, and they only run around $100-$120.

The only downside to the internal kit is that it's not reversible, unlike the HPPIII where the programming can just be removed. IMHO...the internal kit is better, only because it firms the shifts by ways other than just increasing the line pressure, which I think might cause long term tranny problems. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Sorry for the book...hope that helps. :D

Edit - the HPPIII only changes what you tell it to. It's a series of yes and no questions basically (Do you want to add performance programming? Y or N...Do you have an internal shift kit? Y or N). It stores all your stock programming that was swapped out if you added the Hypertech programming so that it can be replaced and put back to stock later on. I think Hypertech's website has a .pdf version of the programmer manual that you can read through if you want. That will help you understand what it does as well.
[size=75]Mark
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Thanks. I do believe that mechanical means to hop up is usually better. Just like hot cams, heads, headers are always better than other add ons. Mmmm, I bet a combo of both would be the best.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

quickbiker wrote:Thanks. I do believe that mechanical means to hop up is usually better. Just like hot cams, heads, headers are always better than other add ons. Mmmm, I bet a combo of both would be the best.

I had both the internal shift kit and HPPIII programming on my Z28 and it worked well. Of course, if you have the internal kit, you shouldn't use the HPPIII shift firmness as well...that could spell disaster for the tranny. I mainly used the HPPIII for modifying the speed limiter (set at 115 from the factory due to non Z-rated tires...where's the fun in that? :D ), lowering the fan turn-on temp for a 160 deg thermostat, and modifying WOT shift RPM to get the best track times. I tried the power programming for the engine, but the engine pinged like crazy because 93 octane isn't available here in Phoenix, and I wasn't about to go out of my way to mix in a partial tank of 105 or buy a can of octane booster every week just to get the pinging to stop. :?

The HPPIII is a very good tool though. I'd recommend it, and I'll probably get one myself once I get some bigger tires.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You're right hardware is usually a better investment than software, usually.

I'd be a bit cautious about buying one of the "off the shelf" kits , though. They can tend to be a bit harsh, sometimes.

I'd talk to your local, trusted, transmission shop. Tell them what you are looking for , shift firmer, higher or lower shift points, reduced operating temps, etc.

They should be able to taylor it to your specific needs, and may even be cheaper! Or at least tell you if you're wasting your money on some of the kits.

One thing that has not been suggested is the Corvette servo. There are some threads on S-10Planet.com (I think?) I believe it was a simple mod and really helped the shifts.

These still don't satisfy the need to correct the speedometer (PCM) so, I end up back where I began. Hypertech Power Programmer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Well, this dude likes it. LOL

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/uttrachi.html
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wow, I just called 4weelparts.com. They must have caller id and I must be on their sheet list. They gave me a real hard time with orders in the past and I've bad mouthed them in forums. They just hung up on me when I was trying to deal a price match. :shock:

I tried to givem a second chance, I will avoid them like the plague!!! :lol:

I did find it for $297 now!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Ebay

Post by HenryJ »

Here's one on ebay with a buy it now price $294.95- '01 chevy truck HPPIII

Another one: Any application you want- $294

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

how bout this, they good to deal with?

http://www.ftforce.com/
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:how bout this, they good to deal with? ftforce.com/
Looks like it would be worth a try. I like the idea of having the GP option right up front :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i have been seriously considering getting the hypertech and the k&n filter pack and then a new exhaust and then 4.10's. cuz i might be towing in t he near future and i dont have anyother choice but to tow this truck. but i just dont have enough power. but then i am like noooo, spend money on something else like a lift. i am sooo torn right now
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might see if there is enough interest to start a GP for the Hypertech PPIII?

There is power in numbers!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Ordered it this morning. The HPPIII for $306 from here: http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/

Had to call them though, the web don't list it.

In stock, be here next week! :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is a pretty good thread on S-10Planet about the corvette servo & shifting mods- 'vette servo helping 3-4 & O/D engagement?

It does explain that the shift points can not be changed by adding an internal shift kit. Only the firmness and pressures.

It takes a programmer to alter the shift point, which is controlled by the PCM.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Has anyone has installed an internal transmission kit on our crew?
...which one?
&
Can I use the internal kit along with the HPP III?

What I mean is, does the program allow for changing the shift points
with an internal kit installed?

Is this a good idea or can I damage the tranny?
.....using the internal kit to beef up the hardware
and using the HPP III to change the shift points?

Thanks
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You can adjust the shift points with a HPPIII after adding an internal shift kit, but don't add the shift firmness increase of the HPPIII after doing the internal kit. That would mean problems.

TransGo makes a very good kit for the 4L60E. I'd probably have it installed with "Stage 2" which is average firmness. You can get them for about $100-$150 online and install will run you around $150-$200 depending on the shop. You can do it yourself if you're comfortable with messing around with the valve body and other tranny parts, and the kit comes with an install video. I watched about 2-3 minutes of it and went looking for the phone book to find a shop. :)
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I know this is an old thread, but it was as close as I could come to an appropriate theme.

I just finished adjusting my shift points again. I haven't taken the time to correct/adjust them after installing the 33" tires and the shift points are a little high now.

I thought it would be interesting to document the changes I have made over the years:

4/18/2003
87 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 30.5" tires , 1-2 shift -1 , 2-3 shift -2 , 3-4 shift -1 , shift firmness

6/10/2003
93 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 30.5" tires , 1-2 shift -1 , 2-3 shift -2 , 3-4 shift -1 , shift firmness

7/13/2003
87 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 30.5" tires , 1-2 shift -1 , 2-3 shift -2 , 3-4 shift -1 , shift firmness

5/14/2006
87 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 32.75" tires , 1-2 shift -1 , 2-3 shift -1 , 3-4 shift -2 , shift firmness

6/10/2006 am
87 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 32.75" tires , 1-2 shift -2 , 2-3 shift -3 , 3-4 shift -4 , shift firmness

I do not yet know if this is where I want it. Mine seems to pull hardest up to about 5200 rpm. Anything past that is not helping. My last code response to the station had the 1-2 shift pushing 5300 rpm, the 2-3 shift was headed beyond that when I pedaled for a shift. It then went to overdrive so I didn't get a chance to check that shift.
We will see if I have things right. The 2003 settings worked well for the 31's. Now I just need to get things working after making the switch to 33's.
My settings may not work for everyone. The addition of the corvette servo, billet fourth and longer pin do change the way the transmission shifts and holds.

Edit:

6/10/2006 pm
87 octane tuning , 5600 rpm limiter , 128 mph , 32.75" tires , 1-2 shift -2 , 2-3 shift -8 , 3-4 shift -10 , shift firmness

The first to second shift was about right at 5200 rpm. The second to third shift was too high it almost hit 5500 , so That is why I dropped the MPH on it to get the rpms down closer to 5000. We will see if this works :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Hj, thanks for the tips....I just went out and fooled around with mine and tested your settings....and your settings worked out pretty good on my truck....the only thing I changed was tire settings....any new info?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Had a code response early this morning. The second to third shift is right where I wanted it.
I think I'll stay with these settings for now. I doubt I'll get a chance to see the third to fourth shift on the street. I don't like much over 90 mph on these roads ;)
It looks like it may be moot any way since I have been watching the "shift tables thread" and it may not shift to overdrive under WOT.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

HenryJ wrote:Had a code response early this morning. The second to third shift is right where I wanted it.
I think I'll stay with these settings for now. I doubt I'll get a chance to see the third to fourth shift on the street. I don't like much over 90 mph on these roads ;)
It looks like it may be moot any way since I have been watching the "shift tables thread" and it may not shift to overdrive under WOT.
No shift to 4th under WOT....sorry dude.

Also to someones response above. The computer programming raises shift firmness by increasing line pressure. The hard kit does the same thing, but without the use of electronics. It actually increases flow, and pressure to some of the pistons that control the internal planetaries.......I'll try to touch on that in the other thread later today.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

You use OD with your 33's? Mine's pretty much useless unless I'm on a flat stretch of highway. You probably have at least 3.73's? I think I only have 3.42(?)'s, which is OK for the amount that I use the truck.
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

chumley wrote:You use OD with your 33's?
Yes. Actually geared nicely for the highway now , with as you suspected 3.73 gears.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I just reprogrammed mine to take out the firm shift. It was getting anoying. Now it's a nice smooth shift without the jerking around. Strange, maybe it's cause of all my different parts now. Wow, it's been so long since I've been on this forum. Just decide to do some surf'n. :)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome back, Paul :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]