Moving the stock step-bars....

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Moving the stock step-bars....

Post by 2kwik4u »

Anyone moved the stock step bars either down or out some. Maybe I'm just a freak of nature with super ginormous feet or something, but these dayum things are just about useless in the stock location.

I had a thought of cutting off the mounting tabs and moving them down about 3/4" and maybe out about 1/2-3/4" and see how they sit.

I don't really need them to get into the truck, but think I would rather use them than have the side of the extra-super smashed every time I climb in/out of the truck.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Moving the stock step-bars....

Post by Walt »

2kwik4u wrote:Anyone moved the stock step bars either down or out some. Maybe I'm just a freak of nature with super ginormous feet or something, but these dayum things are just about useless in the stock location.

I had a thought of cutting off the mounting tabs and moving them down about 3/4" and maybe out about 1/2-3/4" and see how they sit.

I don't really need them to get into the truck, but think I would rather use them than have the side of the extra-super smashed every time I climb in/out of the truck.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
They're only useful to children and some women. Unless you have a suspension lift :)

They're mostly for looks. If you move them down, 2" is the max I'd go, as you'll be even with the bottom of the frame rails.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I've moved them up after the body lift. But it wouldn't be very difficult to move them down. You'd just have to drill out new holes on the brackets and lower them. As for moving them out, just place some washers inbetween the brackets and the frame then tighten them down. The bolts are welded into the frame and can't be moved. After lowering them, you may not be able to attach all of the bolts back on. If your a heavy guy that may be a problem, I'm 185 and if you look at mine, I dont have the lower mounting bolts any longer attached and it still holds alright, but I wouldn't jump up and down on them. I just use them so I can wash the top of the truck.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'm ~6'3" and ~200lbs

I can get into the truck fine without them, however I prefer to use them so as not to tear up/wear on the seats anymore than necessary. Getting in is fine, and works great, however when getting out, it's kind of ackward to put my heel on the bar, and step out. If it was ~1.5" further out or so it would leave me putting the center of my foot on the bar instead of my heel.....

I might fab some new brackets this weekend, and see how they work out.....Just some time with a welder, cutter, and some stock.....

Keep the input coming though.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I'm 260lbs and 6' and I can't stand using them. I have to crouch almost to get into the truck when I'm standing on them. They're a perfect fit for my wife though since she's a little over 5' :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Well if your good with welding and what not, that'd be ur best bet for making them stick out more. Otherwise you'd only be getting like a half inch.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'm going to make some new mounts tomorrow, and try out one side.....see how I like it....I'll post some before and after pics for those of you interested.
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

sooooooo......?
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift