Who has step bars? ( I have step bars)

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Who has step bars? ( I have step bars)

Post by BADs Crew »

I want step bars to add some bling to the side of my crew. Whats the best choice? stainless, chrome? Who makes the best?
Last edited by BADs Crew on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have Westin signature series in black. They are easily raiseable after the body lift. There is a thread on raising step bars.

I also foamed them to kill the ping noises when rocks hit them as well as add a little structural strength and seal them to some of the moisture.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

There is a regular seller on EBAY that offers stainless steel ones for $129. Pauleo bought a pair and seemed happy with his before he traded his CC. Just do a search for "S-10 Crew Cab" on ebay. I just did a search and found them for $124.00
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I bought my stainless steel ones off e-bay too. Some dealer had them on display and wanted to get rid of them. I payed like $40.00 for them. Sticker on the wrapping said they went for like $350.00. I gotta steel. When i went to mount them the bracket inside the tube was missing a weld on it and another weld was cracked. I just had it welded up and good as new. I can't complain for as cheap as they were though. Easy install.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I have the westin sgnature series in chrome. They work great for me. They are easy to keep clean and really ad some bling.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I got mine from truckxpressions.com. They're Bully brand. Black to match the rest of my stuff. I paid $100 for mine plus shipping.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

step bars

Post by mjmcdowell »

I also have the Westin step bars, mine have taken some hard hits on the bottom and aside from slight denting/ scratching have saved me from some body damage, also have some scratching on the sides but still are solid, I don't mind a scratch/dent/gouge as long as they are not too bad after all I use this truck for exploring and camping off the "good" roads with my son, I wouldn't consider them "bling" but if so they are still very worth while, mine are black as is my truck, but chrome would work the same way so I would definately recomend them. stay safe, mjmcdowell
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Steve2003 wrote:I have the westin sgnature series in chrome. They work great for me. They are easy to keep clean and really ad some bling.

Steve
I bought some Westins off eBay for my first Generation S-10. They where just the painted black one but when I recieved them the rubber pads where coming loose at the edges. That kinda turned me off on the Westins. Have you had this problem? How is the chrome holding up on yours. I don't mine spending a few $$$$ but I want them to last if I do.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

f9k9 wrote:There is a regular seller on EBAY that offers stainless steel ones for $129. Pauleo bought a pair and seemed happy with his before he traded his CC. Just do a search for "S-10 Crew Cab" on ebay. I just did a search and found them for $124.00
Yep. Ebay for mine. They were really nice stainless. Looked almost chrome. The place I dealt with was from somewhere in PA.

BTW, I saw my old crew out on the road today with temp plates on it. :cry: Sold pretty fast! I got 11k as a trade in. They sold it for almost 15K! :!:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I just contacted them to see if I can buy the bars from them in PA and save the shipping. I get into PA often.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

BADs Crew wrote:
Steve2003 wrote:I have the westin sgnature series in chrome. They work great for me. They are easy to keep clean and really ad some bling.

Steve
I bought some Westins off eBay for my first Generation S-10. They where just the painted black one but when I recieved them the rubber pads where coming loose at the edges. That kinda turned me off on the Westins. Have you had this problem? How is the chrome holding up on yours. I don't mine spending a few $$$$ but I want them to last if I do.
I haven't had any problems with the pads at all, I use them alot putting my skis on the ski rack and when I go fishing I put my poles on the racks also. The chrome is holding up just fine, no rust and no chiping.
I got mine on sale at pep boys. Ben had posted a sight somewhere that had them for a pretty good price. good luck :D
westin step bars
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Pauleo wrote:
f9k9 wrote:There is a regular seller on EBAY that offers stainless steel ones for $129. Pauleo bought a pair and seemed happy with his before he traded his CC. Just do a search for "S-10 Crew Cab" on ebay. I just did a search and found them for $124.00
Yep. Ebay for mine. They were really nice stainless. Looked almost chrome. The place I dealt with was from somewhere in PA.

BTW, I saw my old crew out on the road today with temp plates on it. :cry: Sold pretty fast! I got 11k as a trade in. They sold it for almost 15K! :!:
The emailed the seller on eBay and I can go buy them from their store. I will save shipping and I will be able to see them before I buy. The store is only 30 min from one of the job sites I manage.
Last edited by BADs Crew on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

8) I know you'll like their product. And you can't beat the price. I haven't decided if I want to put some on my ful size truck yet. But if I do, I wil definately call them FIRST to see if they can hook me up!

Good company, good product.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I picked up my step bars today. $124.95. They have them on display in their store for $365.00 installed. They look good. How hard are they to install, and how long should it take me? I want to do it Saturday but we have a weather event thats going to hit us in the afternoon. I don't want to cut myself short and only have time to install one.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:I picked up my step bars today. $124.95. They have them on display in their store for $365.00 installed. They look good. How hard are they to install, and how long should it take me? I want to do it Saturday but we have a weather event thats going to hit us in the afternoon. I don't want to cut myself short and only have time to install one.
If no BL, should take you about ten minutes. Bolts on using your cab and maybe a bed mounting bolts.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

If they are any thing like the westins it is very easy. It took me less then a hour to do mine and I'm mechanicaly challenged :roll:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:If they are any thing like the westins it is very easy. It took me less then a hour to do mine and I'm mechanicaly challenged :roll:

Steve
He is by no means mechanically challenged. I know he discussed a BL and Top_sgt and I offered to put it on but, cannot recall if he had it done or not.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Why do I smell air tools. Now I remember trying to put them on my first S-10. The bolts where so tight I snapped one off. Think I will have the same problem with my crew? Oh I never did do the body lift. It may still be in the plan if my Mod money holds out.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Why do I smell air tools. Now I remember trying to put them on my first S-10. The bolts where so tight I snapped one off. Think I will have the same problem with my crew? Oh I never did do the body lift. It may still be in the plan if my Mod money holds out.
My CC was over 3 yrs old when I did my BL, those presented no problem to loosen. I realize that planning on the worse case scenario has it's dividends but, I would gamble to say that no air tools are required, unless you don't have a medium sized 1/2" rachet.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I have the tools. I just didn't know if I was going to have to pull out my compresor and air tools. That takes more time than grabing my breaker bar. I don't have a garage just a large shed with the riding mower and tools in it. I can't wait to get our new home. 2 Car GARAGE !!! no more laying in a gravel driveway to work on my truck.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:
Steve2003 wrote:If they are any thing like the westins it is very easy. It took me less then a hour to do mine and I'm mechanicaly challenged :roll:

Steve
He is by no means mechanically challenged. I know he discussed a BL and Top_sgt and I offered to put it on but, cannot recall if he had it done or not.
I have read many of BADsCREW's post and find that they are very informiative. I was in no way trying disrespect his knowllege, I was only speaking for my self!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:..................I have read many of BADsCREW's post and find that they are very informiative. I was in no way trying disrespect his knowllege, I was only speaking for my self!!!
I don't think anyone took it wrong, Steve. :thumb:

You were just giving an estimate of time with your "past" abilities. :D

I wouldn't even worry about the breaker bar, Bad. :!:

I know all about modding in the gravel. Uneven/sloped gravel at that. It shouldn't be bad unless it is zero degrees and the gremlins keep hiding stuff on you. :lol:
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Nothing taken wrong here :) If you feel bad you can come over Saturday and help. :lol:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Send me me and Marsha a plane ticket and I will :D I've never been to the right coast, would love to visit!

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

No you have to bring your truck. Its going to snow here this weekend.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I was able to beat the weather and got the bars on this morning.

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking mighty fineImage
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

How long was the job, not counting unpacking and searching for tools that walked off?

BTW, I like the little bling with your Black :D
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

It went so smooth my 10yo son could have done it. No problems at all and I just used 3/8 drive with no breaker bar. Oh there was one problem. They gave me the wrong size nuts for the bracket that goes on the end of the leaf spring bolts. Total time was about 1 hour. I looked out the window at it for 2 hours waiting for this so called storm to start and I finally said the heck with it , if it snows it snows. I glad I got it done. :D NEXT WILL BE MY REAR SPRING MOD :thumb:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I incorrectly assumed that both ends attached via body mount. Sorry for the misinformation. The ZR5s attach via threaded studs welded to the frame. I am glad it turned out well for you and it looks really good.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Both ends did attach to the body mounts. In the rear there is one small bracket that goes on the end of the leaf spring bolt and braces the bottom of the tall rear mounting bracket. You don't even have to pull the nut off the spring bolt. you just add a second nut. All the hardware that came with the bars was stainless. You can't beat the deal on these bars. I highly recommend them.