Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Goodmark cowl induction hoods

Post by gocntry »

Split topic from the classifieds to save the information-HJ

HJ,

Isn't That What You Have On Your Truck?? The Design 1. If So How Is The Quality & Fit??
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes, Mine is the first style cowl induction hood.

They are a steel hood, and OEM supplier for GM restoration parts.
The hood was pretty straight, much better than fiberglass. The packaging for mine was destroyed, and I thought the worst, but it required very little repair.

Be prepared to pay , perhaps more than $250 for bodywork and paint.

It is one of the mods that adds a whole bunch of appeal. I don't regret it at all.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

got any pics of your hood henryj?
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

bubaloo1983 wrote:got any pics of your hood henryj?
HenryJ where did you get your hood? , Hoods , Goodmark Industries.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

very nice, ummm
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yeah, I guess I am going to have to change my signature. I want one and can get one locally for $299 but, even with a quote of $225 for the body shop work makes me hesitant to complete that mod.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Hey HenryJ....

Thanks For The Link.... :D

I Got Older Yesterday And My B-Day Funds=Goodmark Hood Purchase
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gocntry wrote:Thanks For The Link.... :D

I Got Older Yesterday And My B-Day Funds=Goodmark Hood Purchase
Woo Hoo! You are going to to love it. It really adds lots to the appeal. I wanted one on my old truck and never got one. I really regretted that. So, it was one of the first things on the list for this truck.

I like the fact that the cowl hood allows some of the heat to exit in the tight engine compartment.

Don't let the gas station attendant raise you wipers though, :shock: The passenger side arm will hit the cowl.

Let us know what kind of shape it arrives in. My box was mutilated, but the hood survived with only a little body work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Let us know what kind of shape it arrives in. My box was mutilated, but the hood survived with only a little body work.
Got The Hood In Yesterday....Box Was A Little Banged But No Damage To The Hood. I Have To Wait Until Next Wednesday To Get To The Body Shop To Get An Estimate For Paint & Install.

I Just Havent Decided Upon The Paint Yet....I Think An All White Hood Might Be A Bit Much So I Was Thinking White Hood With A Black Cowl??

What Do You Guys Think??....Any Suggestions....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Two tone will add to the price. I'd just have it done white. Then if you think that it is not what you want, mask off the area you want black, scuff it and paint it flat, or semi gloss black.

Another thing to consider would be adding two wide "SS" stripes. This could be done in vinyl and added to the tailgate as well.

Be prepared for some body work to smooth the spot welds and a little wave in the top of the cowl. The hoods are not perfect, and it seems they all need a little work to get them straight. Much better than 'glass though.

Take pictures, and don't forget to sell that stock hood. It will knock $100 off of your investment :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

or keep the stock hood for when you finally decide to sell your truck then sell the cowl hood :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:or keep the stock hood for when you finally decide to sell your truck then sell the cowl hood :)
:lol: Have you ever tried storing a hood? :lol: It takes a dedicated individual to keep it in a condition worthy of reinstallation ;)

Sell it and take what you can get for it while it is in good condition. Any body shop will be glad to get it.
Save yourself the hassle of trying to safe guard it :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

henryJ wrote:Another thing to consider would be adding two wide "SS" stripes. This could be done in vinyl and added to the tailgate as well.
Great Idea :D , I Never Thought Of That, Just Might Be The Idea I Was Looking For. Thanks :thumb:

Jeff024 wrote:decide to sell your truck

Ohhh, You Shouldnt Use Foul Language Like That On The Site :shock: :lol: :lol:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I decided this is what's going to be my Christmas present. Too bad I missed out on the group purchase, but that wasn't a priority at the time. I have done some searching around and I guess the Goodmark is the best hood? I have seen different prices from the low to mid $300's up to the low $400's plus shipping. I have seen shipping prices anywhere from $110 to $150 does anybody know the best place or the best deal for the cowl hood? Does anybody have any opinion on the difference between the first and second generation?

Thanks
Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I've been looking into getting a cowl hood myself... I found that SummitRacing and Stylinconcepts have them for 349.99, I'm not too sure about shipping charges. I live near by both stores and can pick it up. They're on Ebay alot of times and I have seen them go pretty cheap. If you get it delivered to a business, the shipping cost is normally reduced.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try contacting Mike:

Mike Laughridge
No Limits Motorsports
E-mail Eardamage1@aol.com
New Shop Number: 209-933-9800
Over 800 companies available

GoodMark Hood GP?

I got mine through him. They may still be $280 + $95 shipped to a business?

Worth an email.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I got one off of Ebay for $250 that I can drive to and pick up (hopefully, this weekend). I passed up a local one for $299 a few months back that was within 10 minutes of me versus my upcoming 6 hr round trip.

I am checking into getting "stupid" tatooed on my forehead :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:It doesn't look like the GP on s10forum is going to work out :shrug: Next option is No Limits Motorsports or Jegs.
Have you contacted Mike for a quote?

Mike Laughridge
No Limits Motorsports
E-mail Eardamage1@aol.com
New Shop Number: 209-933-9800

If you do get prices for all three hoods and let us know here, please :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

What should I expect when getting my new hood ready for paint?
Do I just take my hood to the paint shop? Do I take my truck and hood and leave it with the paint shop? Do I need to test fit the hood before it's painted? I've never done anything like this before and don't know what to expect. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:What should I expect when getting my new hood ready for paint?
Expect some body work. The top rear edge of the cowl will need some attention. Then it will need to be test fit prior to finish painting. The hood an truck rarely line up very well. You will probably find the right front corner awful tight. Shimming the fender may be needed to fit?
Some shops may want to blend the fenders, but Usually if the paint is in pretty good shape they can match it close enough.
They will probably only need your truck for one day. Part of a day to test fit after body work and the bottom of the hood is painted, and then part of a day to install it once the top is painted.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks Hj, That's great info that I would not of expected. What do you mean when you say the top rear edge of the cowl will need some attention? Are we talking bondo? Just want to know whats what so I don't get hosed.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is slightly rippled and the spot weld shows in a place or two. Some glazing compound, or a very thin coat of filler should do the job. Expect a couple hours body work to straighten it out. That is on top of the time needed to prep it for paint.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:It is slightly rippled and the spot weld shows in a place or two. Some glazing compound, or a very thin coat of filler should do the job. Expect a couple hours body work to straighten it out. That is on top of the time needed to prep it for paint.

Don't you think that each hood and each truck will have individual characteristics?

The hoods are possibly made years apart. They may have improved their manufacturing process. GM may have had sloppy tolerances at any one time and improved them or have gotten sloppier later.

I normally agree with you and I have disagreed with you in the past (and was proven wrong, I might add :lol: ) but, I can't go along with such a blanket statement that advises exactly what corner will be tight and exactly where it will be rippled. There are too many variables involved here.

Just my two cents.

:wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You'll see :mg: My hood is not the first one. The body shop I used for mine has installed half a dozen S-series Goodmark hoods. They are all pretty much the same. Granted some are a little better than others , but all the second gen s-series hoods seem to be tight at the right front corner. They all have the spots where the spot weld pinches the rear of the cowl.

You might get real lucky , but I'd bet with the odds.

Want to know how the Ford super duty cowl hoods fit? Jack has done at least three of those that I know of :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I already covered my "tracks" on this but, until I see it on mine.....I have to disagree on such a blanket statement. If I get lucky, then maybe others will as well.

Not a snowball's chance in h__l will I admit it here but, will PM you the results when it is finished :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I got my hood today and was very pleased. The shipping company was awesome (BAX GLOBAL) The hood was still in the box standing upright strapped to a pallet :thumb: not even a scratch on the box. The hood is in excellent shape, I didn't see any blemishes. I will be test fitting saturday.I strongly recomend cossellsautomotive :bounce:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My hood was installed during my lunch break this past Friday. :D

The upside was that I lucked out and the hood did not require the extra work that Brule's body shop has run into on every GoodMark hood that they have encountered :)

The downside is that the color match was so poor that the shop owner pointed out the poor color match. followed closely by his wife's observation :(

He is keeping my old hood to show the paint guys their poor job at matching. Will post any news as it happens.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Oh hell yeah! That hood looks sweet! BIG :thumb: :bounce: I love it! I got mine pre-fitted today. The front end didn't fit perfectly. F9K9 how did yours fit all around? Mine seemed to fit really good by the front by the windshield, but it seemed to be about 1/8 of an inch off in the front by the grill. Damn your hood looks good. I'm ready to paint my truck yellow :wink: Sweeeettttt!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...Mine seemed to fit really good by the front by the windshield, but it seemed to be about 1/8 of an inch off in the front by the grill.
I had to loosen the bolts at the front and adjust my right fender out a little. Nothing is perfect, and most will not notice the little imperfections.
Sure you will see them, but after a while they seem to go away.

Remember these are not show vehicles and highly trained individuals will not be scoring them. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy the ride :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

with all the black and YELLOW on your truck I think that hood would look great Black on your truck oh and the tailgate

Painted free for both hood and tailgate beings they screwed the color match up :)
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:Oh hell yeah! That hood looks sweet! BIG :thumb: :bounce: I love it! I got mine pre-fitted today. The front end didn't fit perfectly. F9K9 how did yours fit all around? Mine seemed to fit really good by the front by the windshield, but it seemed to be about 1/8 of an inch off in the front by the grill. Damn your hood looks good. I'm ready to paint my truck yellow :wink: Sweeeettttt!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Steve,

My hood fit well when installed. I might be picky but the shop owner is going to repaint when he get's the paint guys lined out. The color mismatch was noticed by me immediately but, I only had to keep quiet approx. five seconds before the shop owner mentioned it. I don't know how it all works but, he had my correct paint code. He kept my old hood and was going to have the "paint" guy stop by and work with it. Will keep all abreast of changes occurring.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

HenryJ wrote:Remember these are not show vehicles and highly trained individuals will not be scoring them. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy the ride :mg:
Thats what I'm talkin about!!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

SONOMA915 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Remember these are not show vehicles and highly trained individuals will not be scoring them. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy the ride :mg:
Thats what I'm talkin about!!!
I understand what your saying here HJ but when you pay good money for something you want it done right.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

:thumb: Man That Looks GREAT F9K9, I Also Like The Bug Deflector On There, I Never Put Mine Back On Cuz I Didnt Know What It Would Look Like But Now The Re-Installation Is On My To Do List :D
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Sweet is right
Maybe all black would be too much how about this.

Not great photoshop work but you get the idea. :D
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:...when you pay good money for something you want it done right.
With out a doubt! Mine was harder to match than most , I would expect , since there are nine variations to the pewter paint.

The problem you find in this case is that the light hits the surface differently. The hood and fenders surfaces are not on the same plane. This alone offers a difference in color. A perfect match is very difficult on a brand new vehicle, now expose it to the sun and elements for a year or more and the fading plays a part.
This is why most shops like to blend the fenders. By repainting the fenders with the same paint they can fade the color difference to the doors. The fenders and doors are on the same plane and the light hits them the same making it easier to match, not to mention that you have to step away to get enough distance to view them both. The distance helps to disguise any differences.
The problem with blending is that there is no better paint than the original. Add more layers and the difference in paint leads to a less durable top coat. Just painting the hood and having a little difference in color would be preferable, IMO.

Get what you paid for, but realize you may not be able to ask for perfection :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Although the hood's not perfect and I never thought it would be, I am happy with the way it fitted. The 1/8" in the front is not a big deal, that will easily be covered with my bug deflector. I do have another problem though, the latch seems to be about 1/2" off. I know this is not a show truck especially with all the brush scratches down the side, but in my own little world it's my show truck. Just wondering if anybody else had the same issue's that they were able to fix with a few tweeks here and there. I am sure that the paint shop/body shop will get everything lined up as best as possible. Other than that the hood looks really good.

Marsha says the new hood makes the truck look really mean, like it's ready to eat some dirt and snow! :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:... the latch seems to be about 1/2" off... Just wondering if anybody else had the same issue's that they were able to fix with a few tweeks here and there.
The latch is adjustable, so you should be able to loosen the bolts and move it to a position that lines up properly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:Although the hood's not perfect and I never thought it would be, I am happy with the way it fitted. The 1/8" in the front is not a big deal, that will easily be covered with my bug deflector. I do have another problem though, the latch seems to be about 1/2" off. I know this is not a show truck especially with all the brush scratches down the side, but in my own little world it's my show truck. Just wondering if anybody else had the same issue's that they were able to fix with a few tweeks here and there. I am sure that the paint shop/body shop will get everything lined up as best as possible. Other than that the hood looks really good.

Marsha says the new hood makes the truck look really mean, like it's ready to eat some dirt and snow! :lol:

Steve
As I understand it, there is "play" built into the latch. There is "play" or adjustment room built into most body parts. The shop owner was amazed than mine lined up on first try.

I was having trouble with my tailgate closing and I loosened the fasteners readjusted things and got it working nicely. That may be all that is needed.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Got my truck back today, by the time I got home it was getting pretty dark but I had to take a picture anyway and post it.

Will post more pictures this weekend

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

8)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You "gots" so much going on to really focus on the hood! All the other awesome mods detracts from one's attentions :lol:

I like very much :thumb:
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

that's sweet steve :thumb:

i like everything you've done! It's got "the look" that gets you stares no matter where you go i bet
real slick and subtle.........nothing flashy
:D

what's next? :wink:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Ben wrote:what's next?
I think this is it for a long while! :( Marsha has been talking about buying a new house(Brand New) for sometime and she is getting serious! we're going to be looking this weekend. Now I know why she's been so cool about all the mods I've been doing to my truck.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If you were in a colder climate I'd recommend that you make sure that the new garage has a floor drain and a hot water line :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:If you were in a colder climate I'd recommend that you make sure that the new garage has a floor drain and a hot water line :thumb:
That would be a neat idea. Make sure that the door is tall enough to get the crew in there. Washing the wife's car , being the only one that fits inside would be a bummer ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BTW, I am sure you are sick of all the "left" coast references but, JEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHH, that parking job ain't gonna win any friends :lol:

Just j/k :roflmao:

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Follow up...........I stopped by the body shop, last Friday It's a very small one but, he has been good to me :D

I was checking on the situation and was going to pay for the work already done. It is a very small shop (the owner and one "holler sloth"). Ben was not in and his wife would not take my check because the work was not finished.

I stopped in yesterday and this is what I was told. Ben bought the paint from NAPA. The NAPA 'guy" had been there but, his camera was "down". The NAPA guy will have it up by monday and that I should stop by on Tuesday. Has paint, camera, and computer technology advanced to the point where they can match paint with a photo of my original hood and with none standard lighting?
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:BTW, I am sure you are sick of all the "left" coast references but, JEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHH, that parking job ain't gonna win any friends :lol:

Just j/k :roflmao:

That was right after I brought it home after the paint job and I was trying to get as much sun light as possible for the picture. It was late in the evening.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I don't know which thread to post this update in but, will throw it this one. I finally got the hood repainted and picked it up at lunch today. It is a pretty
close match to the fenders now but, not perfect by any means. You almost have to know it is a mismatch now to detect it. A different guy at NAPA mixed the paint by our RPO paint codes and didn't use the camera "thingy". I am much happier with the job now. Image

The only beef I have is that he didn't remove the windshield washer nozzles/jets on the repaint and I have a little work to do on them come spring.

I'll post pictures when we have some good weather (and daylight) and promise to not pull a "STEVE" on getting the pictures up.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

all would have been great there 1st time had they just blended the fenders
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

f9k9 wrote:I'll post pictures when we have some good weather (and daylight) and promise to not pull a "STEVE" on getting the pictures up.
Easy there Dad! :wink: That was one of the first mods I wanted to do! but things didn't work out that way :? That was a hard one to convince Marsha that I needed a new hood :hide: So I was a little excited! :nana:
Give me a break :pray:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:
f9k9 wrote:I'll post pictures when we have some good weather (and daylight) and promise to not pull a "STEVE" on getting the pictures up.
Easy there Dad! :wink: That was one of the first mods I wanted to do! but things didn't work out that way :? That was a hard one to convince Marsha that I needed a new hood :hide: So I was a little excited! :nana:
Give me a break :pray:

Steve
Not you, I meant one of our other Steves
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I thought you were talking about my picture I took of my truck at dusk!

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:I thought you were talking about my picture I took of my truck at dusk!

Steve
Naw, just pictures promised the following day and having to nag and whine to see them over a month later:)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Before

ImageImage

After

ImageImage

No where an exact match but, I think it's better. I wanted to take the photos before the 7-11" of snow that is predicted arrives.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Its not exact, but our yellow is a hard color to match. My painted tail lights took two times to get the color close. It still looks good!!! Now you can focus on your fender flares!!! :D
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

Out of curiosity, has anybody grafted one of those aftermarket cowl induction scoops onto their original hood, like the hot rodders used to do?
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I've seen those hoods in summit and it looks "doable" but the bodyshop work looks as expensive as getting the whole hood. What do you have in mind?
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ZR5OnIt »

I imagine if you were good at body work you could graft a cowl induction scoop on your own hood for about 1/2 the price of a new hood & no worries about the hood fit. Painting cost would be the same as you'd need to shoot the whole hood either way. Like you said F9K9, if you gotta pay somebody to graft it on, probably you might as well buy a new one. Any body shop dudes out there that can weigh in on this? I really dig that look, but first gotta heal the wound in my wallet from the Superlift. :wink:
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

When I first saw a crew with the cowl hood it was HJ's, from that time on I knew that was what I wanted on my truck. I was really impressed with the cosmetic appearance but after getting the hood I am even more impressed with the performance aspect. I never realized how much air the cowl hood actually sucks into the engine compartment. I first realized this about the second day after I had my hood installed. I had just gotten off work and had my truck parked under a tree, there were small little leaves on my hood. I didn't think much of it, thought they would just blow off, but to my surprise when I was driving on the freeway all the leaves didn't blow off, the cowl was actually trying to suck the leaves into the engine compartment. It was then realized that it was sucking air into the engine compartment. I had heard HJ on different threads talking about the performance enhancement of the hoods but didn't understand until I had mine on my truck. I would say go for it, if you need an extra hood to experiment on I have an extra stock hood that is sitting in my garage and would be willing to part with for a reasonable price.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If the plan is to add a cowl induction to a stock hood, and have to pay a bodyshop to do it. Save your money. It will cost more and not be nearly as nice as the steel Goodmark hoods. Goodmark is a restoration parts supplier for GM.

Now if the plan is to add a cowl that is not available and cost is not the primary concern, then by all means go for it.

If you are talking about the vacuum operated flip up cowl offered on the '69 Chevelle. That door would be too wide for the cowl on the Good mark hood. I am sure it could be shortened, but it would really be of no clear advantage, IMO.

If the reference is to adding the understructure that seals to an air cleaner for a true cowl induction, some pretty major modifications will be needed and I don't see a very good way of doing that. Changing to a Z24 Cavalier air cleaner and ducting the intake to the cowl could be done. That is the way my wife's '93 Cavalier cowl induction hood works.

There is an advantage to having an open cowl. At rest the engine heat can escape through the open cowl. And when moving the low pressure zone created at the base of the windshield will draw cool air into the engine compartment as Steve mentioned.

- ThunderII KE7CSK