Aux. gas can/carry rack

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Aux. gas can/carry rack

Post by mjmcdowell »

Ok, this is what I am looking to do. I have ordered a "Wedco" steel gas can to carry 2 gal. or so of x-tra gas. I don't need to carry very much for any emergency I may have, 30 miles is probably realistic for this type of situation for me. Question is where to mount a carrier, ( I may have to fab. one out of aluiminum, or possibly could use one that mounts on the cargo rack of an ATV) not sure on this yet once I have the can I will be better able to figure out a carrier. Now... I was thinking that mounting the carrier on the rt. rear of my roof rack, I know that filled with gas and the weight of other gear does not over load the rack but also was thinking of how I might mount the carrier in the bed with some sort of Quick release system, not sure of how this might be done, bolt to bed with wing nuts, fas pin's, don't know, I have some ideas on how to fab. a carrier and I found a site that said gas would probably last for 3 mos. or so when carried for emergancy use, probably would treat it with a shot of a gas treatment anyway. Not to concerned about it's addition making the CC top heavy or dangerous, except for a rollover or something ( at that point even without a gas can we would be in deep stuff I think), enough rambling, what do you all think? thoughts, ideas, comments, solutions etc. would be greatly appreciated. stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A search at 4wdtrips.net forum may yield some options.

Personally a nice mount to the front of the bed, or incorporate a deck for gear storage utilizing the board slots in the bed liner would be a thought.

I have a 6 gallon water container that fits nicely in the rear corner of the bed.

How about a safari basket for the roof rack? Or a custom bumper with tire rack and tank mount?
So many options.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Gas can/mounting

Post by mjmcdowell »

HJ , I have a basket mounted on the roof rack which I ment when I was talking about rack mounting (need a carrier for the can), front of bed would be nice but I have a Delta box mounted for other gear, sooo the idea of a dismountable carrier for the can on either side of the rear of the bed interests me, any ideas on how to mount ? I have a bedliner also, any ideas out there? stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We really need to see a picture of your truck and roof basket :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK