Magnaflow Exhaust

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Magnaflow Exhaust

Post by BADs Crew »

Is anyone running this system? I was curious to how it sounds.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... cks&id=158
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

August 31 2005 Rusty wrote:I put a "Magna Flow" cat back on mine. Cost about $400. Sounds nice but I didn't notice any improvement in gas mileage and maybe only a slight improvement in power.
I Did See The Exhaust On His Crew And It Looked Very Nice.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I have the Magnaflow cat-back on my truck. Been on for a year now...sounds good and gets her breathin a little better. I did have a little mis hap in the sense that the flange on the intermediate pipe in the Magnaflow kit just has 2 holes in it...problem is that the stock intermediate pipe has 2 studs pressed into it and the cat has the 2 holes. The result is you are left with 2 "female" flanges...I e-mailed the company and they recognized the problem, sent me the hardware that is needed to bolt it up to our trucks and stated that they would include hardware with this application from now on. I guess I could have heated the studs and pounded them out to be reused but the studs dont hold up well to that kind of abuse in my experience. Plus, I dont consider a kit to be "bolt on" if the customer has to find his own bolts...and for 400 bucks...the bolts should be included.

...sorry for the rant..
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

gocntry wrote:
August 31 2005 Rusty wrote:I put a "Magna Flow" cat back on mine. Cost about $400. Sounds nice but I didn't notice any improvement in gas mileage and maybe only a slight improvement in power.
Oh and for the record...I'm not the Rusty mentioned in the above post...odd coincidence though.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
gocntry wrote:
Oh and for the record...I'm not the Rusty mentioned in the above post...odd coincidence though.
:lol: That's A Funny coincidence....But Yeah The Rusty Mentioned Is Just Plain Ol "Rusty" Here In Northern Va. And He Also Said He Had To Find 2 Studs To Bolt His Up Because MagnaFlow Didn't Send Any Hardware To Replace The Factory Studs.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

for $517 i could think of a whole bunch of better ways to spend that money. :shock:

you can get duals with dual stainless tips for that price from a local muffler shop.

IMHO, if you only want to go with a single exhaust out the stock location, i would recommend having the muffler cut out, weld in a 2.5" pipe, and have a nice stainless tip welded on the exit. in total....MAYBE $100???? then you've got $417 to play with....maybe buy the FIPK or the PA body lift
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

bwenny247 wrote:IMHO, if you only want to go with a single exhaust out the stock location, i would recommend having the muffler cut out, weld in a 2.5" pipe, and have a nice stainless tip welded on the exit.
:nono: No Muffler Here In Northern Virginia = Emissions Inspection Failure & State Inspection Failure.
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

bwenny247 wrote:for $517 i could think of a whole bunch of better ways to spend that money. :shock:

you can get duals with dual stainless tips for that price from a local muffler shop.

IMHO, if you only want to go with a single exhaust out the stock location, i would recommend having the muffler cut out, weld in a 2.5" pipe, and have a nice stainless tip welded on the exit. in total....MAYBE $100???? then you've got $417 to play with....maybe buy the FIPK or the PA body lift
I agree, it was more than a little expensive...I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldnt have had a muffler shop make one for me or maybe I should have went with the cheaper kit like the one Gibson offers. But, I am still quite content with the Magnaflow and I still dont regret buying it at all.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

No muffler here in Northern Michigan just makes you another truck with straight pipes :lol: LOL
i feel bad for you guys with emissions inspections :(
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

For that kind of money, go to a shop and have a dual catback with stainless tips installed... Probably be alot less actually. Mine wasn't more than $300. It sounds and looks great!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

BobbleSmitty wrote:For that kind of money, go to a shop and have a dual catback with stainless tips installed... Probably be alot less actually. Mine wasn't more than $300. It sounds and looks great!

With the duals did you leave the spare tire? Do you have any pics? Thanks for the feed back everyone. Exhaust is my next mod and I'd like to get it in stainless with a deep sound but not ear busting. Kinda like the 5.0 Mustang
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's a pic of my dual exhaust

I did get to keep my spare, but I do not have a full size spare. I do believe though, that if I did, I would have just enough room still to get it down. I know that my friend who has a Ford Ranger, has a full size spare and can still get his down with a very similar setup to mine. I have heard both the magnaflow and flowmaster mufflers on S10s and I can say that the V-force muffler that I have has a deeper sound than them. I used to have a picture of my exhaust set up underneath, I'll have to do some looking around for it on my computer. I'll try to post it later.

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I was looking at exhaust tips today and came across these. They're pretty unique, I coudn't say that I've ever seen them on a truck around here before. I'm probably going to order them pretty soon. Exhaust Tips
$35 bucks, not too bad for black chrome stainless steel tips!
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I couldn't find that picture of underneath, but I did go take a look at it. It would be a tight fit I think if you have a full size spare. If you have the exhaust routed to the outside of the leaf springs, then it wouldn't interfere with the tire at all. I was told not to go that route tho... I guess it depends on your spare tire size and how you want to route it? They custom bend everything on the spot, so you have just about any option of how you want it done.

-Bob
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i was going to go with duals and black stainless tips because nobody had them, but then i found my exhaust tip.
either way, doing something different then the usual makes the truck stand out. i can't tell you how many people comment on the side exhaust I've got.

whatever you do...DONT FORGET TO POST PICS :wink:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Most definately! Probably within the next few weeks I'll be getting these put on!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A delta flowmaster 40 3" catback for under $200 goes a long towards a hood and really does sound good :o

You guys know what you want for street use but, I envision bottoming out the piped between the rear bumper and the ground. I know my aux back-up lights are going some time, just a matter of when :)

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

Kinda like the 5.0 Mustang
:shock: :yikes: :roflmao: Sorry couldn't resist!
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

At least I didn't say the F word. Every one knows what a 5.0 Mustang sounds like. Its sounds a lot better than a rice burning Coffee Can. :lol: I use to own a 65 2&2 Fast Back. I guess I still have a weakness for em and the new body style is a big plus. Ford finally fixed what the screwed up years ago. OOPs I said the F word.