Descreened OEM MAF

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Descreened OEM MAF

Post by 04crewvt »

Ok so I just had to try something that a lot of you have talked about for a freebee mod. Having a auto x-ray scan tool I felt that it would be best to go about this scientifically so i scanned computer just before doing the mod, saved the data and then removed the screen and tested again. Total lapsed time between scan apx 15 minutes absolutely no other changes to vehicle between scans.
Here is what i got:
Initial- air flow rate 1.72 lb/minute short term fuel trim 1 -10.2% short term fuel trim 2 -10.2% MAP 12.00 ignition timing advance 6.5
Modified- air flow rate 2.01lb/min short term fuel trim 1 -4.00% short term fuel trim 2 -4.00% Map 13.00 ignition timing advance -1.0
overall 17% increase of air flow rate for 10 min work
Not bad at all if i do say so myself. I will have to run it for a couple of days and rescan to see what changes the computer makes to its programing and let you know what I find.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

Any news??
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Test results so far.
Ok I pulled the screen and posted the numbers last week. Before I drove the truck I pulled both ECM fuses to reset to baseline programming. I have only put apx 50mi on this past week and so far no SES light or other drivability problems.I just completed a scan a few minutes ago the results are as follows.
air flow rate- 1.95 lb/min short term fuel trim 1 -8.6% short term fuel trim 2 -8.6% Map 13 ignition timing advance 8.50 So far all the long term fuel trim numbers remain at -4.00

Subjectively, the truck does seem to bog less in corners when you have slowed down and then reaccelerated, less lag before power comes back, but from an engine point of view it looks like the slight overall difference in the air flow is more than compensated for by the ECM. My guess is the factory programming has more than enough leeway just to cope with different altitudes/barometric pressure that there appears that this mod will do no harm but probably won't give much real world benefit either.
Oh well,I will keep you posted when I put a few highway miles on.That may make some more long term changes show up.

PS - Since winter temperatures arrived this week the truck has been running in lower temps than the week before I did the mod. Not sure if that will make any long term difference but wanted that variable put in there as well.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well with cold weather finally here I can say that there definitly seems to be a bit less lag when slowing down and then accelerating into a turn. Hesitation is much less. No real gas milage or horsepower effect see just runs a little smoother.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What are you running for an intake and filter system?

I have been running descreened for years. I did make the change with a modified airbox, and since then I have been running the K&N FIPK.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Backyard Air system from E-Bay
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

One of the arguments in favor of the screen is that it is designed to straighten, or smooth the air flow over the sensors. The stock airbox is reported to be very turbulent.
By changing the intake the benefits of this may be reduced.
It does also serve to protect the sensors, however that is a weak argument since the airfilter does that.

I too have not seen any detrimental effects from descreening.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK