This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

MAF Sensor mods and aftermarket mass air flow sensors

Post by quickbiker »

Split topic-HJ

OK, the guy put it in and it didn't come with a high performance mass airflow sensor, which I thought it did. Gee for the price, I figured it did, silly, aren't I? Ugh. Well now, is the high performance mass airflow sensor worth it?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ ... rmenbr=361

http://www.lildevilmotorsports.com/prod ... ts_id=3031
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I'm Trying To Get Close To The Granetelli I Have Removed The Screen And I'm Polishing The Bore Of A MAF From A 1996 S-10 I Got On Ebay For $20.00 I Dont Know How The Granetelli Electronics Compare To Stock But Pricewise This Is Cheeper And Being My Engine Is Stock Might Help A Little. It Looks Like This:

The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hum. I don't see how that's gonna sense anything?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

DOH! :roll:

Ok Quickbiker I Fixed The Above Pic......Sorry Bout That.....The Stock Is On The Left. I Broke On The The Bolts Holding It Together That's Why The One Is Missing, I Just Grabbed One Of The Bolts From The Other MAF.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

"silly" question here: how does removing the screen help???? :?
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

increases the airflow through the MAF by reducing the turbulence that the screen generates. Hold your hand over a carb and it will still run but not as efficiently. Although there is a buzz about this little guy. I am considering gunea pigging.

http://www.tornado-fuelsaver.tv/?source ... el%20saver
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, kinda like taking the honeycomb junk outa the catalytic converter, not that I've ever done that! :shock:

But, I am also thinking that the electronics is different in the GMS unit. I'd like to know if that makes a difference. If not, yea, just remove the screen, big deal. lol
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I don't know about that tornado thing, ugh. :!:

Let us know if it works! :?
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

heard mixed reviews regarding the tornado thingy!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MAF sensor screen: This is what I have heard. It is there to straighten the airflow and evenly distribute it across the sensors. The stock airbox design offers a poor angle for airflow, and has quite a bit of turbulence. This is the reason that the "screen" is in there. It also helps to prevent damage to the small sensor wires from items that might enter from the filter side. This is a pretty weak excuse since the filter does all that.
Can you run trouble free without it? Yes. I am. Does it's removal offer benefit? Not much. Maybe a little, but nothing to write home about.

Tornado "thingy": I too have heard that "they really do work", BUT...on wet manifolds.
I am skeptical, but not to the point that I am interested in trying one myself. I just can not imagine how something like that adding restriction in the intake tube would be of any benefit.
Will it make a difference? Absolutely. Will it be a positive difference? I doubt it.
On a wet manifold (fuel vapor) I could see the benefits of creating turbulence to keep the fuel suspended and atomized, especially on some of the poorer intake designs. For us the spin effect is created in the combustion chamber where the fuel is introduced. This is done through cylinder head design, hence the name "Vortec".

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

quickbiker wrote:Well now, is the high performance mass airflow sensor worth it?
No, Those things are a waste of money. They claim 10-15 hp, which is true if you dyno it imediately after installing it, but after a little bit of driving your computer will correct the air-fuel ratio that the new sensor was giving. After this has happened your new MAF is pretty much like stock only bored out a little more which will do nothing on a stock 4.3 V-6. A descreened stock MAF is more than sufficient for our engines. :)

Steve
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Roger that. Gonna take a gander at it one day.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:MAF sensor screen..............Can you run trouble free without it? Yes. I am. Does it's removal offer benefit? Not much. Maybe a little, but nothing to write home about..........................

Brule,

Did you remove your cross pieces? I picked up a used MAF and have already removed the screen. Did you remove the cross pieces? I read a little about it and many people have removed their's. It appears that they are there for strength and possibly to direct the air flow to the wire elements. Common sense would tell you that more air flow the better but, I am back in the age of pre-electronics :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Did you remove your cross pieces?
No.
I'm not quite sure how that would effect things. I'd probably just polish things up and put it back together.

Let us know how it works. I might grab a used one too :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanx for the quick response, Brule :!:

I had already took my hacksaw blade loose and reassembled it through one of the MAF aluminum pieces in anticipation of your answer. :lol:

Will cut it as close to the inside wall as I can and polish it up with a dremel tool. :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You're the "Guinea pig" ;)

Be prepared for a precat plugging if it bumps you rich. Not that it would , but the experimentation has it's consequences sometimes...I know all too well :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sounds like you know a little more than you are sharing but, I figure it is my turn to dive in :lol:

The cross pieces are removed and was slowly working with the dremel tool when I had to quit due to darkness falling and Mrs Hoff needing the charcoal fired :lol:

If you know something please share, Brule :o
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Cutting out the cross piece on the MAF will do nothing for power on a stock V-6. You would have to be pushing at least 360 hp before the stock MAF starts becoming a restriction, and those are the specs for a V-8. On a V-6 it would be more like 400 hp. I doubt anyone here is near that level, even with a supercharger. :lol: The only thing that will happen from removing this cross piece will be the engine running a little lean which will be corrected by the computer within 50 miles or so. The stock MAF is also programmed to run within a certain airflow parameter and could run on the edge of it's tuning which might cause air/fuel ratio problems. I also believe that the material is in the wrong place to fully port it to the same diameter as the entry and exit. You do not want any kind of air leak at this point because your truck will run really bad if there is. :wink: If you really want to do this mod there are plenty of companies that make ported MAF's that work with the stock electronics, and I don't mean the ones from Granatelli or Jet. The stock MAF electronics can also be custom programmed to prevent the possible air/fuel ratio problem that I mentioned above. :D

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I cut the partition out and polished it versus watching any more news :shock:

It kept me busy and I believe you about it being a worthless mod. It kept me busy most of the afternoon and helped me justify buying additional tools in the future.

I was also able to glance up occasionally and wave at mrs hoff cutting the grass :lol:
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

F9K9 wrote:Well, I cut the partition out and polished it versus watching any more news
Got A Pic Of The Maf After You Did The Cutting?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:It kept me busy most of the afternoon and helped me justify buying additional tools in the future.

I was also able to glance up occasionally and wave at mrs hoff cutting the grass :lol:
:roflmao: Why does this scenario seem so familiar to me? :lol: :thumb:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snowsurfer »

Question if anyone can answer??? Does it matter if the MAF is turned in any way? In other words the maf is rotated 10-20 degrees in either direction??
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:
F9K9 wrote:Well, I cut the partition out and polished it versus watching any more news
Sorry, but, I can this weekend if, you want :!:

I went out today with the strike force but, really couldn't tell you for certain if there was a diffrence because I was running with Tahoes and hummers but, I can tell you with certainty that a stock trailer towing packaged tahoe has nothing on me in acceleration on an incline on the parkway. :lol:

I was just glad I had my speed limiter set higher than stock.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

snowsurfer wrote:Does it matter if the MAF is turned in any way? In other words the maf is rotated 10-20 degrees in either direction??
With a stock airbox I would keep it in the factory position because of the turbulence it creates. With a FIPK or similar set up with a smooth airflow path and conical style filter it wouldn't matter which way the MAF is rotated since the airflow over the sensors is more balanced. :wink:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

snowsurfer wrote:Question if anyone can answer??? Does it matter if the MAF is turned in any way? In other words the maf is rotated 10-20 degrees in either direction??
Stock.... they are both horozontal. As I said before......probably a worthless mod but, it kept me busy all day and for 20 bucks, I would have done worse at our local cinema :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I have about 200 miles on the mod and none of the miles has been "normal". It is way to early to judge the results. :)

I was off road about 20 miles at low speeds, chasing Tahoes at 80-95mph and a lot of aggressive city driving during the 200 miles. In the past, I never was able to achieve 200 miles on a tank without the low fuel light coming on in mixed driving conditions. The light would come on and after I filled up I would see that I had just under 3 gallons of fuel remaining.

I am at 200 mi now and no light. I had cleaned the air filter and changed the fuel filter at the same time I did this mod so, there is no way to isolate the results.

If I had to make a preliminary judgement on the mod with such limited results to work with.........I would say that it had no detrimental affects and I "think" it is an improvement.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

gocntry wrote:

Might be a little late but, here it is :lol: