Locking front differential.

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

apcrews10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Locking front differential.

Post by apcrews10 »

Does anybody here have a CC that has a locking front diff? Probably not. I found a company that makes a locking unit for the 7.25 IFS diff. The only problem is they say it probably would not be good for any sort of street driving.
2002 CC S-10 - Extang Tonneau, TB Crank,Westin Sportsman Brush Guard
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Am pretty sure I read it in this forum but, from what I understand about them it can be a terror on our stock front ends.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
apcrews10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by apcrews10 »

I believe it is called a Lock-Rite?
2002 CC S-10 - Extang Tonneau, TB Crank,Westin Sportsman Brush Guard
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

From my experience looking into this ( HJ can correct me if I am wrong.) If it is the lock rite you are talking about it shouldnt matter on the street unless you engage your 4wd on the street ( I dont mean on slick snowy streets).

Or front diffs have a axle dissconect so that when 4wd is not engaged it is just free spinning. So the only time you would have to worry about it is while you are off road. I dont think so far that I would be afraid to put one in but you wouldnt want to do any extreme stuff while you where off road. Thats just my opinion. I ran lock rites in my front and rear on my old xj dana 35 rear and dana 30 front. I never had any problems and I did moderate off road stuff with it.

But I have never had one in a ifs truck.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

It's been a long time since this came up on this site but if I remember right, it's the strength (or lack of) of the IFS that's the issue. Supposedly, putting a lock-rite or any other type of locker in the 7.25" diff is a really good way to blow it up. I haven't had any desire to try it myself.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

It's nore the u-joints and half-shafts than the actual differential I think. Not that the diff is super strong, it's pretty weak too, but first part to break would probably be the u-joints or shafts.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

AZS10Crew wrote:It's nore the u-joints and half-shafts than the actual differential I think. Not that the diff is super strong, it's pretty weak too, but first part to break would probably be the u-joints or shafts.
Common denominator here is the word "break".
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

break = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

You could try an upgrade to the iron-cased diff housing from a Typhoon or Syclone, possibly from and AWD Chevy Astro - the AWD vehicles had stronger diff casings and I'm sure internals to deal with the AWD loads.

What about the AWD 2nd gen Bravadas and Blazers - maybe that would be the way to go?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Don't the ZR2's have a larger/stronger front and rear diff? That might be an option as well.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

f9k9 wrote:Am pretty sure I read it in this forum but, from what I understand about them it can be a terror on our stock front ends.

The front end left stock is a terror all by itself! lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

wamason wrote:Don't the ZR2's have a larger/stronger front and rear diff? That might be an option as well.
To my knowledge - ZR2 has our same front end, just relocted and with longer CV shafts.

Their rear axle is a wider axle with a 8.5" ring instead of our 7.625" setup - so yes, I would call the rear a touch stronger.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

If you're going to the trouble of swapping front ends, might as well go SFA. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]