FLARES AGAIN?????????

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

FLARES AGAIN?????????

Post by SONOMA915 »

Sorry, I know this subjet has been beat to death. Does anyone have any that are for sale. I have read that a couple of guys were trying to make them. Wondering how far they have come along. Happy Wheelin
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here Ya Go.....

Flares For Sale
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The other option is to modify Bushwacker extend-a-fender flares-

Rear flare modifications

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

I Got my flares today...
Did just a quick test fit and bam perfect fit on the front. Very easy to install from the looks. In fact if somebody cant figure out how to do it they shouldnt be driving. LOL. Maybe not that easy. Its just the first 8 seconds with the jigsaw/sawsall I think that they may fit a stock CC withougt cutting. I have a buddy that I am gonna test fit his truck with tonight. maybe he will like them enough to by them ...... ey bub....LMAO. I get the commission, right.

I will get pics... As I am doin the whole thing so i hope it helps...
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

ok we have all been waiting to see them on another truck so lets get to it :speedy:
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

very cool,
they shouldnt fit a stock crew lol. your already cut right so you can pretty much make em fit from 1-1.5 inches i think of cutting. my measuremensta re 1.5 inch cuts so thats what they are based on :)

i cant wait to see em. are you going to paint em? i think with your color it would look good body colored :)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

I was actually gonna leave them black. (wanted black fender flares since the first zr2 :oops: ) The fronts look really good and i think that there is just enough flex to fit them on a standard CC. I just held them up to the rear at this point (i havent pulled the factory rear flare) but they look really close. We will see... I had some issues with the kids tonite (got suckerd into watching cartoons with em) so i wont be doing much till tomorrow night. But then they should be on by the end of the tomorrow night. I will take lots of pics. The fronts are still gonna need a little cutting because they were close without the flares. But now the flares add 3/16 of an inch back on. Oh well.....

BuB they look good man. You did an awesome job!

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Ok fellas they are on... Darn do they look good. By the way bubs i did no cutting on the rear and they fit right on. I really couldnt test fit the fronts cause my wells were already cut and my bud (that has the other CC) had to work tonite. The overall fit was very neat. The only spot were there was any gap (and it was just a little) was the two recesses along the lower body lines. But it is not very noticable. I took several pics of the front and how i did it. Everybody has there own way. All I did for the rear was take off the stock flare and bolt on the new one. So I did not take any pics of that. Took about 3 hours if you dont have too much fun while attempting to do it. I took about 6 hours. LOL :cheers: I love the black and it looks good. Just need to get them spacers done now. Stupid GM wheel/track offset. :twisted: I will post the pics tomorrow as I dont have any pics of the whole truck and it was dark by the time it was done. Plus it has to get washed ...... again. Stupid birds... Time to get the BB gun out LOL.

"Watch This"

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

they fit right on? how the heck that work? lol. i need to see pics thats for sure!

they must be easy to stretch
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Yes they fit right on and heres the pics....

This is the Wheel well pulled back to allow cutting and some hammering on the fender and the inner well. They white is a primer to keep her from rusting while i was waitin for them flares.

This is a piece of sheet metal that i tacked back on to cover the hole.

Here is the wheel well sheet metal tacked back into position. I had to do a little pounding on it to form to the inner well.

Here is the flare put on (notice I have not painted the well yet but do so). I used self tappin stainless sheet metal screws.

And the whole thing...
ImageImage
ImageImage

By the way I did not have to cut the rears so obviously that is the reason for no pics of the rear getting done.

"Watch This"

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

so what size tire/rim are you running ? and do you have any lift ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
ChadneyG5
Regular
Regular

Post by ChadneyG5 »

Rock those look great. Justin, I got mine yesterday. I will be going out of town for a week or two so I'll tell you how they fit later. The workmanship looks great just coming out of the box. Rock, it looks like you don't have a lift and that you're wearing 32's. Am I close?
Black 2003 Sonoma CC, 31x10.50 BFGs, 2" BL, Shackles, TB Crank, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Roof Rack
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

omg, that looks COOL

looks like an icelandic truck with the big tires and fender flares.

what size are those tires? they look huge in there

I wish I would have done that and gone with 31's or 32's instead of the ifs suspension lift b/c it would have been a lot easier, a lot cheaper, and it would break a hell of a lot less parts.

Loogs great :schwing:
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Do you think it is possible to run a 33" tire if you were to add a 2"Bl , TbarCrank and shackles ? I can't tell but if the wheel opening is larger it may be possible to do so and that would be a cheap way to run 33's !

oh and if you don't know what to paint them with or what color . You could try herculiner or a bedliner coating of some sort . Now that would be killer ! you could do you bumpers to match too ! would also be durable aswell , I know i am not the first to think of it , but just wanted to throw it out there .
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I was planning on painting mine Dark Argent Metallic...the color of the ZR5 flares...but those look pretty good in plain black. Decisions decisions... :?

I need to get them first though. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

coffeedrnkr wrote:omg, that looks COOL

what size are those tires? they look huge in there
ChadneyG5 wrote: Rock, it looks like you don't have a lift and that you're wearing 32's. Am I close?
From an earlier thread - those are 31x10.50x15 BFG MT's
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

adrenalnjunky wrote:From an earlier thread - those are 31x10.50x15 BFG MT's
I guess when I finally wear out my tires, I may have to look at this although I'm still leaning towards 5-6" of lift kit.
coffeedrnkr wrote:looks like an icelandic truck with the big tires and fender flares.
I was thinking how Rock's truck looks a little like a '73 El Camino I had. It had the fenders cut out (neatly done though) and 31's on white spoke wheels, "big block" springs to raise it up, a home made grille guard / push bar and a bunch of other stuff. It really looked like something out of "Mad Max" but it was a trip to drive! I wish I had pics of it. One of the more "memorable" vehicles I had and I'm sorry I got rid of it!
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

[threadhijack]Yeah - the ElCamino sounds sweet! I have a 1962 VW Karmann Ghia body out in the barn that I unfortunately won't be able to title - but if I could find a s-series 4x4 fram to put it on, or something similar - 12" of lift on a VW Ghia would be an interesting ride :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Uh, "sweet" wouldn't exactly be the word I would use. "Weird" would be more like it. One thing it had going for it though. NOBODY got in my way in traffic! :lol:

We now return to our regularly scheduled topic!

[/threadhijack]

(How's that HJ? I actually tried to get a topic back on subject! That should get me some merit points for good behavior. :lol: )
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

still no lift and a 31" tire is pretty good for the s series wheelwells . It would look even better if it had about 2-3" of lift to give the tires more room to show .
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Soon... First spacers then the lift. And then a third or fourth job. LOL

"Watch This"

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

hey rock i do have one question of course for the rears,

if you didnt cut them did you just squish em in? cause that may be why they buckled or came up on you.

get me some pics eh i would like to see they were installed :)

btw that truck is one nice truck with what you have done with it. it looks bloody killer.

I love it!

RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Yes I did just "squish" them and it did not take a whole lot. You could probably use them for larger cutouts too. But the front i had cut and it peeled up first. then the rear right one (which you can see in the pics). I just think that the adhesive that you used cant stand up to 120? degrees, direct sun and really high humidity. Like I said i put some clear window silicone on it and it has been fine.

"Watch This"

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

RocK wrote:Y... just think that the adhesive that you used cant stand up to 120? degrees, direct sun and really high humidity. Like I said i put some clear window silicone on it and it has been fine.
You may find silicone to be a bad choice.
It does not have UV inhibitors and decays rapidly in direct sunlight. Black will last longer since it is opaque, but I would not use silicone. Once you have used silicone on a porous surface like the trim, it will be hard to get anything else to ever stick to it. Silicone has it's place, but it is when used sparingly as a gasket, IMO.
A weather strip adhesive would be a better choice, but usually has a hard time with adhering to ABS. This can be solved with a proper priming , and or surface prep.
I do not know the make-up of the trim used, so do not have a very informed answer here.
Most flexible trim is attached with a "double stick adhesive". This stuff hooks up with almost everything, and doesn't deteriorate as readily as some glues would. The other benefit is that it moves as well as expands to help fill the gap and stretch with the heat expansion.

As I said, this may be all worthless as I am unfamiliar with the components used.
They may give you some ideas to try.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

And there you go again making sense. I never thought about UV when i was looking for something to "get er done" I was only considering the expansion in the heat and cold. The plastic is abs and the protector is very close if not the same stuff they use for vehicle door edging. I wonder if a CA Glue would do the trick... It bonds to me in seconds LOL.

As a whole i am very happy with them. With what i spent i could have only brought one factory and not been able to run 31s. Now on the other hand if i have to buy four sets then that would be a problem. With everything product testing has to be done so only time will tell how well these really work. But as for strength my 4 year old can stand on them and they dont even budge.

After looking at the Bushwacker write up and seeing how the flare comes past the bed a good inch and all the work that was required for them to fit I would by these over anything else out there. My little write up may not sound like the best one but it is literally all i had to do to make them work. And for everybody out there wondering about the exact measurements IMO they dont have to be exact. I am running much closer tolerances in the front than almost everybody out there because I have no lift. I am certain that one would only have to cut out as much as is neccessary to fit whatever they are running. All you really have to do is follow my pics. Mark an inch and a half on the bottom of the fender and another mark about 10 inches up on the well. Draw a line and connect the dots with a jigsaw or sawsall. I used an angle grinder to round it just a little but that really is not required since the flare will cover any mistakes. I tacked in a piece of sheet metal to cover the hole and give some strength back to the cut sheet on the outside. After that you can pound that inner well back a little (if you have to). A quick DA sanding to clean sheet metal (do not touch the sheet metal or you will have to clean it again) and a coat of primer then paint. After that bolt the well back into position and pound on that one so its flush with the inner one and paint where you pounded. Slap the flare up there and make sure it is not rubbing the bumper. Have some buds push it in and then scerw it down. Start from the front and go around with the screws. i did all my cutting WITHOUT having the flares. I just took justins measurements and went at it. I didn't read the instructions from justin because once you look at the flares you dont really have to. If your still concerened about cutting have a buddy go outside with a piece of sand paper and sand the fenders where they are supposed to get cut... Then you are gonna have to cut em LOL. If you have questions Ask, I check this board all the time.

"Watch This"

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

rock i really thank you :)

also henry i think you were right about sending the edging though :) i origianlly ( as i told you ) sent the first sets with it installed and that may be were the trouble lies. the later sets i sent didnt have it installed i just through it in the box with how to install it when they arrived. i think this is the better option. i just wanted to save our crew some time but in the long run its probably better i dont install it as a few hundred miles bashing around most likely ruins it lol.

Again i thank everyone for the opinions and keep checking here as more and more should be getting em :)

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Mine are going to be picked up from the post office today. Hopefully I'll get them painted by the weekend and get them installed Saturday. :bounce:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Well...install is done. No pics yet as my computer is still disconnected at home because I am putting a new laminate floor in the den...should have them by the end of the weekend though.

First impression...they're a good product. Definitely made more room in the wheel wells. Cutting on your truck takes some skill and bravery though. :) There's a couple little bugs in the instructions that could maybe be worked out, but other than that they're pretty good. I'll post more info once I get the pics up.

Now all I need is a lift and bigger tires. 8)
[size=75]Mark
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

hey great to hear the install went well, and by all means let me know on the instructions as i just wrote then backwards from when i cut my fenders up so any advice on it would be in there in a sec! :)

get pics :P

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

What size lift and tires are you goin to put on now , since you must have 31's now , do you think it is possible to run a 32"M/T with the lift you have now and the flares ?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Blaze One wrote:What size lift and tires are you goin to put on now , since you must have 31's now , do you think it is possible to run a 32"M/T with the lift you have now and the flares ?
I doubt I could run 32's with just my BL and T-bar crank...maybe on stock wheels. I'm sort of considering a SFA. There's a customer of the paint store I work at that does a lot of custom body work and fabrication work. I'm thinking of asking him what he'd think about doing the SFA on my truck. Maybe a radical paint job too if the price is right. 8)
[size=75]Mark
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

bubaloo1983 wrote:hey great to hear the install went well, and by all means let me know on the instructions as i just wrote then backwards from when i cut my fenders up so any advice on it would be in there in a sec! :)

get pics :P
Overall the instructions were good...only thing you might want to elaborate on is the removal of the rear flares. I didn't realize until after I basically broke off the right rear flare and spent a few minutes twisting on the bracket left behind that there was a nut that could be removed from the back to take the whole bracket off. The left rear one came off a lot easier. :)

The fit was pretty good. A little off in a few places since the rubber strip that gets installed on the edge of the flare next to the body took up enough space to throw everything off just slightly...especially in the "valley" body line that separates the rocker panel from the rest of the fender. There's only a few small gaps that can only be noticed when you're examining things up close anyway, so it's not that big of an issue.

The cutting instructions and measurements were good. The tangent points didn't really line up with the measurements in the instructions on the front of the rear fenders...no big deal though, just cut until it looks right. I also left the fender support bracket in it's stock position on the front of the rear fender wells as there didn't seem to be enough metal left to reposition it...and I couldn't get the stupid Torx bolt off to save my life (not without bending the sh!t out of the fender anyway). So I just cut up to the edge of the bolt head and called that good enough.

Also the flares seem to be slightly long...as in the ends seem to extend past the bottom of the fender about 1/2" or so. Screwing them in place so that they're tight to the bottom of the fender just tweeks the flare out of place about 6" up from the bottom, so it seemed best just to not screw the bottom of the flare into the bottom of the fender. Hopefully they won't be too loose at the bottom as there's no place to attach the flare to since the bottom 10"-11" of fender lip was removed to make room for the wider flare. As an alternative install method for the more skilled person, you might suggest just notching the bottom of the fender and bending it in toward the wheel well on the tangent line rather than removing the metal entirely. That's definitely not a novice install method though and I only considered it for about 2 seconds. :)

One other "out of thin air" suggestion...make a version of the flares where the mounting screws go through the outside edge of the flare into the body so the screws are exposed...like one of the Bushwacker models. Mounting the edges directly onto the body might minimize the gaps that occur...and the exposed screws would look cool too. 8)

Anyway...that's my $0.02. I do really like the flares and they look awesome and went on fairly easy...took about 2.5 hours. And for the money, you can't beat them. I'll report any rubbing issues...or lack therof...as the days progress.

Oh yeah...here's the pics
[size=75]Mark
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i printed what you wrote just as references for some changes :D

thanks for the input, i agree in terms of exact fit its hard to do when its something like this. some cuts might not be the same and how you installed them aswell might not be quite the same, as in screw location ect. my flares i guess because i made them and did the first install fit exact. no gaps nothing. but trying to duplicate is hard. i will work on a few changes as you said and see if they can be improved. So you seem to have cut a little more then rock right? i can see on the rears that they sit where they should. The fronts aswell sit nicely. im wondering if the flares have enough give to cut out even a little more, like another half inch. i may give it a try and re install :)

Now in terms of looks, your truck looks freaking killer!!!!! from behind that thing looks beefed!

that is a nice truck :D

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i also took some comparisn pics i wil post later :)

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The only places it might be possible to take more out of the fender is the rear of the rear fender and maybe the rear of the front fender...but that's a gamble at best. I think the measurements and amounts you came up with are good enough.

One other thing I thought of...I did the front by just bending back the wheel well liner and then reinstalled it to the stock mounting points. When I saw that the bottom mouting location for the wheel well liner seemed to stick out too much, I got out the old BFH (8lb sledge) and hammered it back out of the way. The front was somewhat of a difficult cut, but not as hard as I thought it would be from the instructions. Once you get through the outside sheet metal, it could just be bent out of the way for access to the two small cuts to be made to remove the piece entirely.

Thanks for the compliments on the truck. I think the rear looks too narrow again. :D
[size=75]Mark
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

for those who wanted to see a close up comp:

heres my frontinstall you can see whats left of the fender:

as you can these arent to difficult to install :)

in terms of the lower bolts i have them on mine so it must be the order you intsall them at so they dont pull out the fender heres mine :

Image this also shows how little is left after rear fender cutting

heres my 35 stuffed:Image

and your 31, so it goes to show you there is room for different installs and they dont have to be perfect for them to work :) thanks for the pics amd stuff az :) im glad you like em and i think they look really good

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

that is freakin sweet . I wish it came from the factory like that . I can't wait to lift my blazer . By the looks of the new photos i bet you can get a larger tire in there . Looks great the way it is though .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks to me like something isn't quite right here. Part of the body line is showing. Looks like the flare needs to go up and back in order to fit properly.
Is the other side the same way?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yeah...both sides are that way. I thought they should sit above that "dip" that defines the stock flare, but no amount of persuasion could get it above that dip. Like I said in the other post, if the flares attached through the top edge into the outside of the body rather than the underside lip, you might be able to force it above that line and also limit the gaps.

I also just "tacked" them in place with 3 screws each for now. Maybe once I get the rest of the screws in, the gaps and funky fit maybe be reduced.
[size=75]Mark
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

like i said its hard to install exact, but hes pretty close to mine. but on the fronts mine look like .1 or so of an inch in more. so that may also be why who knows they still look good

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

couldnt you just trim the back more to get it to raise up? looks loke it wouldnt take much
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

well they arent quite as far back as mine, like i said maybe .1 of an inch or so.

hey az if you only have a few screws in there you should put the rest in, it will tighten up your lines :)

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

I
doubt I could run 32's with just my BL and T-bar crank...maybe on stock wheels. I'm sort of considering a SFA. There's a customer of the paint store I work at that does a lot of custom body work and fabrication work. I'm thinking of asking him what he'd think about doing the SFA on my truck. Maybe a radical paint job too if the price is right. 8)
i think you could run 32s with your wheels now and the room in the room in the front maybe even cut a bit more to do it :) it would only be .5 of an inch more per side and that much wider. might be worth a try :D muhahahaha

or sfa and kick arsh![/quote]

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

yeah it seems like there is enough room . 32's would be nice .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:Yeah...both sides are that way. I thought they should sit above that "dip" that defines the stock flare, but no amount of persuasion could get it above that dip. Like I said in the other post, if the flares attached through the top edge into the outside of the body rather than the underside lip, you might be able to force it above that line and also limit the gaps...
There may need to be some more fender cutting to get that to fit right. It needs to cover that "dip" / body line.
Rock's doesn't seem to show the line, but that could be just the distant photos. If his covered just fine then there are some inconsistencies that need to be addressed.

It is obvious now that these could have been a little larger to cover the front "flare" without a doubt.
Now that the molds are "done" it would be really hard to modify them to correct the condition , unless after being formed they were trimmed too deep?

Perhaps radiusing the opening to allow the flare to cover properly would be an option? If there is enough material for the flare to still fit the wheel well would be the question.

Lots of questions left to answer. :?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

is it possible to get some pics from looking "down" on the flare/fender area too see what part of the fender is still showing ?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

jeff024 wrote:couldnt you just trim the back more to get it to raise up? looks loke it wouldnt take much
Probably not. If you trim metal off the entire wheel well opening then there's nothing left to attach the flare too.
Blaze One wrote:is it possible to get some pics from looking "down" on the flare/fender area too see what part of the fender is still showing ?

I'll try and get another pic for you tomorrow.

Brule...I think you're just too picky. :D I think it looks OK with the flare ending in the stock flare groove. :?
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:...I think you're just too picky. :D I think it looks OK with the flare ending in the stock flare groove. :?
You're probably right.
It would look good if it ended in the groove. Too bad that back part of it doesn't :?

Sure seems like there should be a reasonable solution.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:It would look good if it ended in the groove. Too bad that back part of it doesn't
You mean the small gap between about 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the edge of the flare? That will probably be fixed once I install the rest of the mounting screws. As of right now I only have them at about 10 o'clock, noon, and 4 o'clock.
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:...You mean the small gap between about 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the edge of the flare? That will probably be fixed once I install the rest of the mounting screws...
Let's hope so!
Then take some more pictures and burn the ones you posted ...NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN ;)

That is the problem with posting an unfinished install. The bad press is hard to forget.
Everyone remembers the botched install, and no one sees the one that went well.

I have yet to see what would be needed for an adequite mod page, maybe the next install will come through.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:...You mean the small gap between about 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the edge of the flare? That will probably be fixed once I install the rest of the mounting screws...
Let's hope so!
Then take some more pictures and burn the ones you posted ...NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN ;)

That is the problem with posting an unfinished install. The bad press is hard to forget.
Everyone remembers the botched install, and no one sees the one that went well.

I have yet to see what would be needed for an adequite mod page, maybe the next install will come through.
I wouldn't call it botched...I was running out of daylight. :) And between lawn mowing, laminate floor installing, trim installing, door painting, etc., etc., etc. my weekend was pretty full. :|
[size=75]Mark
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

well i did my best guys :( how the flares are is just how the tools were made onto the truck

anyway heres 2 pic i took of around the same area, im not really sure what you guys are saying but heres the comp

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:...I wouldn't call it botched...I was running out of daylight. :) And between lawn mowing, laminate floor installing, trim installing, door painting, etc., etc., etc. my weekend was pretty full. :|
Sorry, I didn't mean yours was botched :D Those pictures sure don't impress me though.

Take it with a grain of salt, you know more about these than I do ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I personally would just take the install on bubs truck as the one to address the quality , since you can really screw things up if you don't install something right and that can make a great product look like crap . These don't look like crap if you install them correct .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:I personally would just take the install on bubs truck as the one to address the quality , since you can really screw things up if you don't install something right and that can make a great product look like crap . These don't look like crap if you install them correct .
Ditto.

I think they do look good on "Bub's" truck :)

We put things through the "wringer" here though ;) The value really goes up when someone other than the designer can install them correctly :lol:
This could also point out variances in either the vehicle or flares.
You would not believe how sloppy GM was in the 50-60's. you can not take one fender and bolt it straight to another without some pretty major fitting issues. As time went by tolerances got better. Who knows maybe they are not as good as we thought? Maybe the flares just fit a little too tight? Maybe some further trimming would help?
These are some of the deeper issues that underlie this examination.

Skidz flares are taking the brunt of the examination, since they are new, and still not fully tested. We don't have any one that owns angry gorillas, do we? I'd love to see if they hold up as well as Samsonite ;)

Don't get the idea that I am against these flares. I think they have potential, and I will be behind them 150% once I am convinced.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

It's hard to have any cutout flare be totally "foolproof." Just the nature of cutting on a fender lends itself to tons of variables. I'm personally happy with the install of mine. And as far as I can tell they were installed correctly. Sorry if I sound pissy, but if anyone here can get them to look "more perfect," you're welcome to come to my place and fix them. I did what I could with what I had and I think they look pretty darn good. Sure...I have some minor "tweaking" to do, but for a 2.5 hour install on a Friday evening, they look just fine.

Also...the prototype version should not be the one scrutinized for fit and finish...it should be the production versions that follow installed by "average joes." If I'm looking at buying a new car, I don't ask to see the clay model built by the designer himself so I can check fit and finish...I look at the production vehicle sitting on the lot to decide.

[/rant off] Sorry...just felt like venting. :)
[size=75]Mark
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:... I'm personally happy with the install of mine...
You are the one who counts :thumb:

8) Get some pictures when you're done screwing them on , please :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:... I'm personally happy with the install of mine...
You are the one who counts :thumb:

8) Get some pictures when you're done screwing them on , please :mg:
Dang Brule...it's not a '32 3-window coupe...it's just a truck! :lol:

Any gaps on there now are certainly better than the "bent up with an 8lb sledge" flare/lower wheel well opening I had before. :)
[size=75]Mark
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

They look good , I don't think that it is nice to say a negative comment about a product in which we had no involvment when it came to installation . He made a great product . it is now up to the installer to keep it that way .
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

AZS10Crew wrote:Dang Brule...it's not a '32 3-window coupe...it's just a truck!
:shock:

Wadda ya mean, just A TRUCK!?!?!? :x

:lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i appreciate everyones thoughts and espeically installs. :) i think your truck does look pretty dam good though az :)

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Something new that looks good when installed but, just has some minor hiccups. :D

I like them :thumb:

I wish some of you were around when I installed my genuine GM reese hitch and the cross member was to long. It was in the dead of winter, at the federal building, and I needed a BMFH to make it fit. I ransacked the maintenance section and could not find one anywhere. Our gym volunteered a 20# dumbbell :lol:

I wish this was Stuttgart in the 50s but, it Ain't
:D

Good going, Justin
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

thans bud,

i was just thinking where your thoughts were on this :) lol. just cause you gave me more when the skidz were going ;)

your a good guy ;)

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

awwwwwww shucks, lil' buddy :oops:

I have laid low on the raising of our trucks and the required mods because I ain't doing it :)

I just wanted to get to the hgt of my old Zr2 and do some 31s with comfort. 8)

Your flares are the only option I see. Brule is really trying to help you but, there are so many other aftermarket suppliers that could use his expertise, as well. :lol:

"Suck it up and drive on" as Top's Army of One would like to instill!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yah brules a godo guy too,

hey brule why dont you just start a truck critic business?? eh eh? come on :) you would do well ;)

just remember who gave you the idea muahah

yah running the 31s seems to be ever s-10 owners dream :) for me though its 38s now!

muahah

yah mods get $$$$ so its good your not into it lol i think most of us on here are broke lol

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

f9k9 wrote:Something new that looks good when installed but, just has some minor hiccups. :D

I like them :thumb:

I wish some of you were around when I installed my genuine GM reese hitch and the cross member was to long. It was in the dead of winter, at the federal building, and I needed a BMFH to make it fit. I ransacked the maintenance section and could not find one anywhere. Our gym volunteered a 20# dumbbell :lol:

I wish this was Stuttgart in the 50s but, it Ain't
:D

Good going, Justin
Wow - the BMFH is a tool of fabeled proportions -- I use a BFH a lot, but the BMFH is only pulled out for special jobs - or when I'm really ticked off at something.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Boy...if my BFH is an 8# sledge, I'd hate to imagine the BMFH! :shock:

I appreciate Brule's input and opinions...he's someone who works around vehicles all day and has for a while. I'm just a novice (but learning) so maybe my tolerances are a little bit wider than his. Besides...we're members of the dying breed of "old-schoolers" on this board, so we gotta stick together, right? 8)
[size=75]Mark
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Maybe I added a letter to many....what do you expect out of a stupid jarhead......... :lol:
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i would hate to see the day that this board is no more :( i think iw ould cry, lol

well hopefully we all stick around for awhile :)

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I think we all agree that Brule is trying to help us all. A dying breed that if, I was to guess, was a trait that his father passed on to him. Instead of parents forcing sports on their youngsters, there was a time when the kids were allowed to follow their parents interests if, they chose to. Dagnabit off topic again!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...trying to help us all. A dying breed that if, I was to guess, was a trait that his father passed on to him.
Probably more likely a trait that skipped a generation somewhere? My Father wasn't really a part of most of my life.

What goes around ,comes around. Good , or bad I'm probably due for some :mg: I think it is a community effort in all aspects. Sometimes members here play the "bad cop / devil's advocate". This helps us to examine things a little closer.
It just wouldn't work if we all powder coated and perfumed everything. I'm afraid the smell would not be pleasant.
Point out my flaws and I will do what I can to improve. Point to my attributes and I'll get a "big head" :lol:

Once through the "wringer" we will all know much more.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
f9k9 wrote:...trying to help us all. A dying breed that if, I was to guess, was a trait that his father passed on to him.
Probably more likely a trait that skipped a generation somewhere? My Father wasn't really a part of most of my life.

What goes around ,comes around. Good , or bad I'm probably due for some :mg: I think it is a community effort in all aspects. Sometimes members here play the "bad cop / devil's advocate". This helps us to examine things a little closer.
It just wouldn't work if we all powder coated and perfumed everything. I'm afraid the smell would not be pleasant.
Point out my flaws and I will do what I can to improve. Point to my attributes and I'll get a "big head" :lol:

Once through the "wringer" we will all know much more.
:alert: OFF TOPIC ALERT from the one who keeps us straight :alert:

Thanks for clearing the air, Brule