stock 02 sonoma needs modification

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

ldge
Regular
Regular

stock 02 sonoma needs modification

Post by ldge »

i have a 02 gmc sonoma crew cab 4x4 it is completely stock. I want to put bigger tires on it. would either of these tires rub 29-11.5, 30-9.5, or 30-10.5. Also i want to do some other things, not sure what yet, would i be able to tell a difference in power or mpg if i got a k&n airfilter, modified my stock air box and got a Throttle body spacer. how much hp do u think i might gain. Any other suggestions on mods that r important to get first for protection or power would help. Thanks
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Welcome to the site
:wave:
as far as tires you should be ok with 30/9.5/15s I ran them before my body lift and never rubbed. everything else you stated above will help but I wouldnt waste your time with the TB spacer.
Cat back exhaust wouldnt hurt either.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Take Jeff's advice. Those will be the biggest tires you can squeeze without a body lift. If you get a 2" body lift, you can fit 31x10.5x15's with a few small modifications.

Before getting tires, why not get a body lift first? It can be purchased for under $200. And if you're mechanically minded, or have a friend that is, it can be put on in a day. Then go for the tires. I think the BL makes an "ok" CC look great.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: stock 02 sonoma needs modification

Post by HenryJ »

ldge wrote:i have a 02 gmc sonoma crew cab 4x4 it is completely stock. I want ...
Get used to saying that :lol:
What do you do with your truck?
The reason I ask is that a vehicle needs to be designed for what you want to do with it. If you spend weekends mud bogging, high and wide is where you want to concentrate. If you never hit the dirt , then clearances can be closer and perhaps a street cruiser would offer some appeal.

Your tire size question is a common one. Stay stock optional tire size (235/75-15) if you don't want to rub when wheeling. Mine did under hard articulation.

As mods go the "cut" airbox is hard to beat. Add the K&N filter to save a tree if you don't mind cleaning those filters. Don't do it for mileage, or performance though. While it may realize some gains, it is not noticeable , or cost effective in those regards.

The Catback is a good investment. You will feel some improvement there.

Do some searching, and feel free to bring up old posts if you need more information. Most mods have been tried by someone. All have pros and cons that have been shared.

Thanks for joining to share the information :wave:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

I would go with 235/75/15, they might be a little bit cheaper and I think a bit narrower than 30/9.5/15's by only a half a inch and you won't have to worry about any rubbing.
Buy the way welcome to the site :wave:
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

If your goal is to get a larger tire under your truck the BL is the way to go then 30s you wont have a problem with.And like HJ says it just depends on what you intend to do with your truck.
I have mine so it can be taken offroad (nothing crazy) and its my daily driver.
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

what kind of tire are you looking at putting under there a mud or a street there is alot of time that goes into that decision and performance mods go into account accordingly
ldge
Regular
Regular

Post by ldge »

it is my daily driver i just take it off road a few times a month. i want to put mud tires under there. some of yall r sayin to go with 29's if i dont have a lift....will i have a problem with rubbing if i go with somethin like 29-10.5-15 instead of somethin like 235/75-15 or 29-8.5-15.
red 02 crew cab, blacked out windows, remington mud brutes, 2 10" audiobahn subs, skid plate, hi-lift jack
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Your tire size question is a common one. Stay stock optional tire size (235/75-15) if you don't want to rub when wheeling. Mine did under hard articulation.

Key words "hard articulation". No hard wheeling, no problem :D

Barch97 had major rubbing just changing his wheels with less BS and stock tires.

I had a TB crank, shackles and had no problem "on the street" with 30x9.50 tires. Then if you start messing with rims that have less BS (back spacing) everything becomes more muddled to most of us. :lol:

You won't go wrong if, you ignore most of us, when it comes down to tire size and back spacing, and take HenryJ's advice straight to the bank :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ldge wrote:it is my daily driver i just take it off road a few times a month. i want to put mud tires under there...

Ok, what kind of terrain do you frequent?
You "want" mud tires , but will you need them? They do wear quicker, are louder, and the shoulder design can be an issue when it comes close to the fender.

If you go offroad at all your first purchase should be shields. They will save you some grief and damaged parts.

Next thing is to get a respectable tow point on the rear. Add a hitch, or some hooks, or better yet both.

Now you need to add as large a tire as possible to gain ground clearance. With a little crank of the t-bars and a boost to the rear, you can probably get away with some 30x9.5-15's. You will rub when turning and articulating, but if you're cautious , it should be minor.

Personally , I would then save some money for the PA 2" body lift. If you have any skills with hand tools we can talk you through it in a weekend. There really is a sense of accomplishment to doing it yourself.
It brings these trucks up to a respectable height, and gets rid of that "soccer mom" look. The body lift makes it easier to service the spark plugs, more clearance for aftermarket intakes and spacers, allows for more clearance to exhaust the hot air from the engine compartment, improves exhaust system clearances, allows room to service the transmission servo, promotes increased approach and declination angles, allows for bigger tire size, and all without increasing the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift does.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

im sure with just shackles and a t bar crank you can run 30's maybe need a little bfh modification to the rear of your fenders but you are going to look way stuffed on those tires
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

HenryJ wrote:Personally , I would then save some money for the PA 2" body lift. If you have any skills with hand tools we can talk you through it in a weekend.
Yep! My sentiments, exactly! I did mine by myself! I'm not mechanically inclined, but I had a set of sockets & wrenches and got r dun in a weekend all by my lonesome! If I can do it, anyone can!! :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

with alot of swears and some bumbs and bruises i got mine in under 9 hours all by my lonesome the be sucked by myself though
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ldge,

Don't worry, it only seems confusing but, it will get better :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mine with stock tires

mine with 30/9.5/15s stock height

now with a 2in body lift still on 30s

Made that last one a link. 100k limit on images-HJ