Air box mod causing SES light?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Air box mod causing SES light?

Post by Swbari00 »

My SES light just came on and I was wondering if there is anyway the dealer can say anything about my airbox mod possible causing my SES light :)
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Filter type? K&N or Airaid recharged with to much oil will make them beef if your SES is caused by your MAF having oil on the screening.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

neither, i just cut the bottom out left the stock type filter in
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

hopefully they won't see the cut...and if a code is thrown, i believe its a P0101
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I can not see that it would be related to the modded air box.
Any chance of running it by the parts store to read the code prior to visiting the dealership?
I'd hate for you to take it in for nothing more than a loose gas cap.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I've thrown a code with the stock box replaced and it was never mentioned. Your local Advance, or similar auto parts store will read your code and then tell you the most likely cause. Maybe as simple as you were in a hurry on your last fuel stop and didn't screw the cap on correctly :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Air box mod causing SES light?

Post by killian96ss »

Swbari00 wrote:My SES light just came on and I was wondering if there is anyway the dealer can say anything about my airbox mod possible causing my SES light :)
If you could get the code that would help alot. The air box mod won't cause the SES light to come on. Recheck your connections on both sides of the MAF. The hose clamps might be loose. Look everything over very carefully and make sure nothing is disconnected or loose. :idea: If you have to go to the dealer I doubt they would even notice the air box mod unless they took the box out for some reason.

Steve
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

oh yeah it was the gas cap. i went back and checked it and it was tight (clicking). I went to fill up with gas a day later and when i took off my gas cap it came right off. im guessing it got cross threadeds some how so when i checked it, the cap was still clicking like it was tight :) all is well now!

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swbari00 wrote:oh yeah it was the gas cap.... all is well now!
Glad to hear that you saved an embarrassing trip to the dealer :oops:
:mrgreen:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

you and me both :D

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Question for A2B or Killian96ss

Running out of cash, the wife took away the check book and credit cards she said no more money :nono: I am down to cheap mods, so here's my question: If I do the air box mod ie; cut out the bottom, will that have any effect on our California smog emission laws? I have done the K&N filter, exhaust system, noticed a big difference with that, and the tornado, did notice better fuel milage with the tornado. If I do this air box mod do you think it's worth it and is it California legal?
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

i know nothing of this BUT my guess which is probably wrong and stupid :D anyway i would say it would be just fine....more air makes the fuel burn better right?

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swbari00 wrote:i know nothing of this BUT ...
Hey! You're not "a2b or killian96ss" ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ

If you know the answer to this question I would appreciate any info! I directed this question to A2B and Killian96ss because they are from California.

Thanks Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...If you know the answer to this question I would appreciate any info!...If I do this air box mod do you think it's worth it and is it California legal?
:lol: I was just kidding. ;)
I do not know for sure. I would say that it would not affect the emissions system , so there should be no problem.
Be discrete about how you cut the box and it is really hard to tell that it has been cut.

If you are worried about it pick up a spare to hack. Ebay or a salvage yard should have several.

I would say you will be OK, but I'm not familiar with California's laws.

P.S. Check out this thread for some things to keep the "mod bug" satisfied- Low/No Budget Mods

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ

Thanks, you are right, I do have the mod bug :crazy: It seems like the more I do to my truck the more I want to do. It's all of you guys fault :wink: My wife's threatening to unplug the computer :schwing: But really this is a great site and I am having so much fun, sure appreciate all the advice.

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It will not affect smog in CA. :D I have already passed with the air box mod. It is really hard to tell the mod has been done without taking the assembly out. I did not cut out the bottom of mine, just the whole front section. If you cut out the bottom you will be letting more hot air get in which will cut down on power output. :wink:

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks Steve! appreciate the reply :D

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks for the info, just had to do it, four holes drilled and a key hole saw, done deal. I can sure hear the difference but haven't had it on the road enough to tell the difference. I guess there is just no substitute for changing those gears. Did some wheeling with me and my wife and pulled out a ford explorer, geez he was stuck BAD! I asked my wife to take pictures but she was too busy watching me pull him out, she got too side tracked to take pictures, that's ok I got him out though. He sure messed up his passenger door though, he was sure stuck in quite a rut.

We had a blast, this was fun

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nice pictures :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

hey steve i had to wrestle the wife to keep me on this site. she says im on it to much to..its addicating. muhahaha

gotta love moddin the crew ;) :bounce:
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Steve, I have a spare airbox if you need one. I have the HIPK on my truck, and the oem is just sitting in my garage taking up space. Nice pics 8) 8) Is that up in Azusa???
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I just might want that air box, I will let you know. No thats not in Azusa, I live here in Highland right near highway 330 right at the foothill of the mountains. 330 is the highway that takes you up the front way to Big Bear, there is a bunch of trails up there that I used to do some light off roading just a couple miles north of the ranger station which is about 15 minutes from my house. You can go from there to the other side of Big Bear to a place called Seven Oaks and it will dump you out onto highway 38. Hwy 38 takes you up the back way to Big Bear. There is a lot of nice trails up there but since all the rain that we've have had it has done some serious damage to the trails and they are now some serious wheeling trails. I didn't go all the way through because there were some pretty bad spots and didn't want to try it by myself. If I would have had another 4x4 with me I would have went for it.

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

I did the air box mod too. I haven't put it on the truck yet...Neoprene sheet is on the way to make it just like henry J's box. I bought another box off Ebay to cut, :roll: my upbringing won't let me make mods without saving all the original parts. Attic has a grille, 6,000 mi wheels & tires, tail light lenses, Shocks, radiator cap & soon to be air box. I going to have a hard time swissing out the headlamp housing.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Steve2003 wrote:I didn't go all the way through because there were some pretty bad spots and didn't want to try it by myself. If I would have had another 4x4 with me I would have went for it.
I run into this problem all the time. :( This is why I want to get some CC members together so we can have some real fun out here in CA. :) It would be really cool to get some people up on the Rubicon. I have done about 2/3 of the trails up there without any other 4x4's with me and I was extremely nervous the whole time about something going wrong. :shock:

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Killian96ss wrote: This is why I want to get some CC members together so we can have some real fun out here in CA.
That sounds great. Where is the Rubicon? I'm 3hrs from Bakersfield, so I'm thinking another 3-4 hrs up to that area. That would make it a 3 day weekend for me and the wife. I would have to have some time to plan that out, as my anniversary is coming up in june :D and my wife and I allways do something special for that. :D That's why she's on me about spending so much money on my truck. :nono: But I know we could work something out soon and maybee find some california boys to join us!
Or maybee we could do something down this way. There are some good trails out here in the local mountains.

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Steve2003 wrote:Where is the Rubicon?
The Rubicon is basically in the Sierras between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. It is a very long trail that has some class 5 sections that can't be done with a CC unless you have at least 33's and a good winch. I have neither so I stick to class 4 trails or lower. Even with 33's you would get some body damage on the class 5 areas.
I know we could work something out soon and maybee find some california boys to join us!
Or maybee we could do something down this way. There are some good trails out here in the local mountains.
California has alot of good trails, and I'm always down to try new stuff. :)

Steve