exhaust options

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

exhaust options

Post by jeggers »

What are our exaust options on our crew cabs? I am looking for a cat back system.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Almost all the big names make a bolt on system. I have a catback gibson bolt on from Summit Racing about 45mins to remove old exhaust and install the new 1
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Have a local shop build a single 3" cat back with a free flowing muffler.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

well i may as well say it bc if not someone else will what about duals custom is the only way i have found
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I'd go up to a local muffler shop and have them custom bend all of the pipes. They generally have every brand of muffler there is to choose from. That's what I did. It cost me $215 to put on 2.5" stainless steel pipes, a stainless steel VForce muffler, and two 3" chrome slash cut tips. I have heard Flowmaster and Magnaflow on the S10s and I chose to go with the Vforce muffler because it has a great rumble at idle, sounds alot like a V8 when wide open, and isn't annoying on the highway while cruising at 65. But I definately suggest the dual exhaust over a single outlet, it looks alot better :)

[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

BobbleSmitty wrote:I'd go up to a local muffler shop and have them custom bend all of the pipes. They generally have every brand of muffler there is to choose from. That's what I did. It cost me $215 to put on 2.5" stainless steel pipes, a stainless steel VForce muffler, and two 3" chrome slash cut tips. I have heard Flowmaster and Magnaflow on the S10s and I chose to go with the Vforce muffler because it has a great rumble at idle, sounds alot like a V8 when wide open, and isn't annoying on the highway while cruising at 65. But I definately suggest the dual exhaust over a single outlet, it looks alot better :)

1. Can you take any pics from underneath? I'd like to see how they crossed over the rear to the left side.
2. Can you access the spare tire OK?

I'm getting hotter for duals but I think I want a quiet muffler (hate the V6 sound) and I'm going to need stainless from the cat back. My new PT job is a 2 mile trip...temp gauge doesn't even move on cold days.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

no way you can have a spare tire with those. I have duals but they cross under the leaf springs. They rub under a real heavy load...
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I can get to the spare tire just fine with them. It's snowing here right now, so it will be a while before i can get under my truck to take a picture.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Justin wrote:no way you can have a spare tire with those. I have duals but they cross under the leaf springs. They rub under a real heavy load...
I have duals also, and can get to my spare easily. I had my hitch put on first, then I told my exhaust shop to bend the pipes to avoid any possible binding since the rear will be flexing good. :wink: To date I have had no problems with my duals hitting anything. :) Mine exit like the ones in BobbleSmitty's picture, but are set farther apart.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Are you guys both running a fullsize spare?

I have a 31" spare under mine and it was tight getting the 3" pipe to exit the stock location. I can't imagine trying to get duals to exit the rear :?

A couple things to keep in mind exiting the rear. If you add a BL later it will require repositioning the pipes and if you offroad much those really take away from the declination clearance.
I'd have them plugged with dirt or smashed :shock:

For a streeter they do look and sound nice though.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Im wondering with duals hows that affecting the back pressure?
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:Im wondering with duals hows that affecting the back pressure?
Don't worry about back pressure. The pre-cat and cat offer more than what is needed.

I ran mine without anything , I mean no cats no muffler , no tail pipe, straight from the Y-pipe and had more than enough lowend.

Some backpressure is needed to maintain the life of the components though. The stock highflow cat in conjunction with a tailpipe will offer plenty there.

This is not just my opinion, it is the wisdom of the installer at my local muffler shop. He is the guru of pipes :D

The thing to worry about would be lifespan. If you do not drive far enough regularly to warm the system and burn out the condensation. That is a good reason to use the SS pipes.

Systems performance will differ with driving habits, terrain, and geographical location.
Unprotected pipe may last a long time in a desert environment, if you drive far enough to burn out the condensation. The same pipe might not last a year where humidity is high and short trips are the norm.

Some things I know I have said before. Bigger or multiple pipes take longer to heat. Gasses move faster over a hot surface than a cold one. That means a smaller single pipe could actually be better than a bigger one or duals.

It is a tough balancing act. I would quiz the local guru at your muffler shop. He will know what works for your area.

IMO, the single 3" exhaust is the "sweet spot" for the 4.3L.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote: IMO, the single 3" exhaust is the "sweet spot" for the 4.3L.
Maybe a 2" duals would be sweet & may make the bends better.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:Maybe a 2" duals would be sweet & may make the bends better.
It probably would.
Remember that the bigger pipe offers a deeper tone.

Right back to the balancing act :roll: Tips can make the difference if the smaller pipe sounds too high pitched , maybe?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Are you guys both running a fullsize spare?
I still have the 28" spare, but I can tell the 31" will fit ok.
HenryJ wrote:I have a 31" spare under mine and it was tight getting the 3" pipe to exit the stock location. I can't imagine trying to get duals to exit the rear :?
My duals out of the muffler are only 2-1/4", so they are much easier to route than 3" pipes.
HenryJ wrote:A couple things to keep in mind exiting the rear. If you off road much those really take away from the declination clearance.
I'd have them plugged with dirt or smashed :shock:
My tips are not sticking out farther than the bumper, they are actually tucked in about 2" from where the back edge of the bumper is. :wink: If you don't want mud in your tailpipes just make sure that your tips are not going to interfere with your departure angle. Before my tips were welded on at the muffler shop we placed a piece of plywood against the back of the rear wheels and the bumper to make sure they won't be ripped off by a rock or something. :lol:
HenryJ wrote:For a streeter they do look and sound nice though.
The single pipe is definitely easier to install and you won't gain anything going with duals, although I do like the sound better. :)
HenryJ wrote:IMO, the single 3" exhaust is the "sweet spot" for the 4.3L.
Opinions will vary here. Flowmaster recommended the 2-1/2" over the 3" based on dyno pulls at their facility in Santa Rosa. Alot of people on other S10 forums are running the 3" because they are wanting the most power which a 3" will give you over the 2-1/2", but this will also give you a small reduction in low end torque. A bigger muffler is not always better, just like with carburetors. :lol: There is always a trade off of torque for horespower at some point. Flowmaster has proven this on their dyno several times not only with an S10, but with several other vehicles. Not all mufflers flow the same, so a dyno pull with a couple different mufflers is the only way to know for sure where the true sweet spot is. I'm not trying to go fast in my CC :lol: , I just want the best torque curve for off roading which is why I went with the 2-1/2" muffler. I don't think the aftermarket cat-back kits for our trucks use 3'', but I could be wrong. :? Again this is just my opinion, and i'm not saying there is anything is wrong with the 3" setup. :)

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's a snapshot of the pipes underneath the truck.

I don't have a full size spare, so getting the spare off isn't an issue with my truck. There is plenty of room above the rear axel which doesn't allow the pipes to rub against it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Here's a snapshot of the pipes underneath the truck.

I don't have a full size spare, so getting the spare off isn't an issue with my truck. There is plenty of room above the rear axel which doesn't allow the pipes to rub against it.
:x I think my sway bar is in the way for that setup :x

Can't live without my sway bar :cry:

Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jim, your truck is so clean! :shock: Is this an old picture, or do you have a secret to keeping the undercarriage spot free? :lol: I think you could still do the duals. My pipes exit simular to the stock single pipe on the outside of the leaf springs. I know, pictures would help. I was saving for a new digital, but some parts broke on my SS, so that took priority. :( Another option would be to mount your spare in the bed, and that would give you plenty of room for duals if that's what you really want. :)

Steve

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:Jim, your truck is so clean! :shock: Is this an old picture, or do you have a secret to keeping the undercarriage spot free? :lol: I think you could still do the duals. My pipes exit simular to the stock single pipe on the outside of the leaf springs. I know, pictures would help. I was saving for a new digital, but some parts broke on my SS, so that took priority. :( Another option would be to mount your spare in the bed, and that would give you plenty of room for duals if that's what you really want. :)

Steve

Steve

After seeing allot of Jim's posts' am appalled the spare isn't cleaned and armouralled :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

It looks like it still has the blue over the letters on the tires, gotta be an old pic or Jim never drives the CC.
Jim

Post by Jim »

jeff024 wrote:It looks like it still has the blue over the letters on the tires, gotta be an old pic or Jim never drives the CC.
This was taken this past summer when I did the 24,000 mile service on it.
I scrubbed it down & cleared everything but taped off the rubber parts. I used to do body off restoration on Corvettes for a living so I do have some tricks of the trade.
Yes I admit the spare tire isn't detailed but that wasn't the purpose for doing what I did, protection from the elements was the reason.

Link below when it was at 2 months old.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modinfo/ ... waybar.htm
Last edited by Jim on Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's still awesome!

Gonna have to print your pics so, the next time I catch h_ll at work about cleaning my truck, I'll throw those down for them to see :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I don't think my truck was that clean when I bought it. :lol: Keep up the good work Jim! :)

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

f9k9 wrote:It's still awesome!

Gonna have to print your pics so, the next time I catch h_ll at work about cleaning my truck, I'll throw those down for them to see :lol:
Here is the link to bigger pics.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/t ... p?album=12
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Will use all the ammo you provided and thanks. It is really good detailing!
Jim

Post by Jim »

f9k9 wrote:Will use all the ammo you provided and thanks. It is really good detailing!
Thanks, glad to be of service :D

Back to the exhaust ...How about this muffler Image
It's a Magnaflow oval stainless 5"x11" 22" long body.
Anybody know what these sound like?
Best Regards, Jim
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:D I will go custom route and build it my self in father inlaw's shop i think i will go for the duals, i want to run a full size spare so we will see. thanks for all the input.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I was thinking of running the exaust out the passenger side, right in front of the rear tire. I was looking at some stainless 3" diameter lengths and mandrel bends in Jegs and the system would not cost that much, plus running it out the side would weigh less than a full length system. I was thinking of a nice slant cut, rectangular tip mounted flush and as close to the frame as possible. What do you guys think?

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mat73GNZ wrote:I was thinking of running the exaust out the passenger side, right in front of the rear tire. I was looking at some stainless 3" diameter lengths and mandrel bends in Jegs and the system would not cost that much, plus running it out the side would weigh less than a full length system. I was thinking of a nice slant cut, rectangular tip mounted flush and as close to the frame as possible. What do you guys think?

!M!
I'd think about the exhaust eventually smoking the wheel ( making it dirty) and would exclude turn downs as well but, that is just my 2 cents that I learned from someone very much wiser than myself.

I contemplated both of the options myself :D
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

No turn downs will be included. The exaust will exit parallel with the ground, not shooting at it. I doubt the wheel will get dirty because of the exaust, unless I start burning mass amounts of oil :D

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mat73GNZ wrote:No turn downs will be included. The exaust will exit parallel with the ground, not shooting at it. I doubt the wheel will get dirty because of the exaust, unless I start burning mass amounts of oil :D

!M!
I agree.

Are you keeping it awhile with beau coup upgrades planed or trading in a couple of yrs from now?

Just food for thought is all I am saying :D
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Probably trade it in for a full size something or other down the road. I like to modify things, so it's no biggie. I'll enjoy the sound while I have it.

I think I'll go ahead and start measuring this system up and see what the exact cost will be. Didn't late model Ford F-150's come with a side exit exaust system?

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mat73GNZ wrote:Probably trade it in for a full size something or other down the road. I like to modify things, so it's no biggie. I'll enjoy the sound while I have it.

I think I'll go ahead and start measuring this system up and see what the exact cost will be. Didn't late model Ford F-150's come with a side exit exaust system?

!M!
Sound is okay just make sure that is what you want. There is a lot of sound recordings on other s series sites and it seems most become tire of the racket and switch out.

Good luck :D
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Really? I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Mat73GNZ wrote:Didn't late model Ford F-150's come with a side exit exaust system?
Your thinking of the Lightnings and some of the Saleen Mustangs which had that exhaust setup. I think it would look cool, but remember your exhaust will be the loudest in this position since the sound waves will bounce off everything next to you. 8) Ive been there and can tell you that tunnels and parking garages are fun with this setup when you have a 400 horse ZZ-4 with headers and no mufflers. :lol:

Steve